Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General Business Updates and News
Good news for Toyota's Cambridge plant - they will start producing the RAV4 in 2019, when Corolla production shifts to Mexico.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-...-1.3312245

GM is establishing a innovation post at the Communitech Hub, along with 2 other local investments.

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/6113...nnovation/
Very cool news, 6 companies from Waterloo Region have made the Deloitte fast 50 list this year.

http://m.therecord.com/news-story/611447...st-50-list
Manulife plans to move more of its workforce to Downtown Kitchener.

Http://m.therecord.com/news-story/612086...-kitchener
Seems it may be a not so subtle way to cover moving jobs to Montreal and pretend it's a positive for this region...
(11-16-2015, 11:10 PM)notmyfriends Wrote: Seems it may be a not so subtle way to cover moving jobs to Montreal and pretend it's a positive for this region...

Not sure how you come to that conclusion.   Huh
(11-17-2015, 09:59 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(11-16-2015, 11:10 PM)notmyfriends Wrote: Seems it may be a not so subtle way to cover moving jobs to Montreal and pretend it's a positive for this region...

Not sure how you come to that conclusion.   Huh

"Consolidation" of locations might imply fewer employees overall in the region. They wouldn't go out and say it, but it's a plausible reading of the action.

It could be. Or it could be that they are actually just reducing the number of locations. Not enough information to form conclusions (without jumping directly to them).
They are moving employees from their 600 Weber location (which is a leased property) to their corporately owned locations at 500 King Street (near expressway) and 25 Water Street (former King Centre).
The Ratz-Bechtel Funeral Home, on King West by Wellington, has reportedly sold their premises and will be vacated by Dec 31.

https://twitter.com/RonBHolmes2nd/status...1872542720
I wonder what kind of other business could move into that building? I assume the old part of the house is heritage protected but the parking lot out back is a pretty nice parcel of land, it would be a nice place to increase the density of the area.
First Schreiter-Sandrock (building still unoccupied, although a new roof has been installed in recent weeks) and now Ratz-Bechtel. I am a bit surprised by this.
Maybe they're consolidating under the Kroner family of quality death-care facilities. Big Grin

(11-25-2015, 12:20 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Maybe they're consolidating under the Kroner family of quality death-care facilities. Big Grin

I guess if the Ratz buildings have been sold, we may hear soon about what comes next.  I don't think the Schreiter building has sold yet - it would make a good City of Kitchener Museum if the City had the money.....
(11-25-2015, 12:16 PM)panamaniac Wrote: First Schreiter-Sandrock (building still unoccupied, although a new roof has been installed in recent weeks) and now Ratz-Bechtel.  I am a bit surprised by this.

<sarcasm>Simple. People are living longer.</sarcasm> Wink
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »