Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.85 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
(04-08-2016, 05:26 PM)BrianT Wrote: In order to register 1 Victoria as a condominium, they have to submit a draft plan for approval to the Region. That's all that Page 9 is. Don't get excited Smile. 445 King Street West is the legal Address for 1 Victoria Street.

Thank you.

The Perimeter Development website has some very nice renders of the Eaton Lofts building (276 King St W), with much more glass on the street façade and what looks suspiciously like a Schreiters-like furniture store inside. I can't wait to see it done - that corner has been sad, sad, sad for far too long. http://perimeterdevelopment.com/projects...reet-west/
No more cracked tiles and rusty frames? How will anyone know where they are? Tongue
(04-09-2016, 11:55 AM)DHLawrence Wrote: No more cracked tiles and rusty frames? How will anyone know where they are? Tongue

Well, at least they paint patched any graffiti!  I actually amazes me how quickly building exteriors can deteriorate when not properly cared for - nine years of neglect is an eternity.

I hope that when Perimeter does its renovations, it saves the old Cineplex door (I think it's still there).  Do forummers know that the basement of the old Eatons used to house an early Cineplex?
I like the look of the corner at King & Water in that rendering. I hope they get it done soon.
(04-08-2016, 05:31 PM)tomh009 Wrote: 445 King W is actually the alternate municipal address for 1 Victoria S, so that refers to the same property.  Is Momentum thinking of building a second tower on the site, either before or after 100 Victoria?

I believe 1 Victoria is 208 units, "445 King W" says 212 units.  Unless they are referring to the same building?

1 Vic was 208 but then they converted the 18th from sub-penthouse suites to regular units. The unit count rose by 4 as a result. 

Speaking of Perimeter, a little birdie tells me there are talks ongoing to sell the commercial component of 1 Vic to them to manage long term.
(04-09-2016, 06:45 PM)dubya Wrote:
(04-08-2016, 05:31 PM)tomh009 Wrote: I believe 1 Victoria is 208 units, "445 King W" says 212 units.  Unless they are referring to the same building?

1 Vic was 208 but then they converted the 18th from sub-penthouse suites to regular units. The unit count rose by 4 as a result.

So that's how they managed to get rid of the unsold units on the 18th (I think 4 of 6 were unsold last time I remember looking).  Didn't know that!

The demand for $500K condos is K-W is not strong yet.  Arrow Lofts still has five unsold penthouse units, too, three years on.  (Admittedly Arrow's penthouse percentage is much higher, about 8% of the units are penthouses.)

(04-09-2016, 07:56 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(04-09-2016, 06:45 PM)dubya Wrote: 1 Vic was 208 but then they converted the 18th from sub-penthouse suites to regular units. The unit count rose by 4 as a result.

So that's how they managed to get rid of the unsold units on the 18th (I think 4 of 6 were unsold last time I remember looking).  Didn't know that!

The demand for $500K condos is K-W is not strong yet.  Arrow Lofts still has five unsold penthouse units, too, three years on.  (Admittedly Arrow's penthouse percentage is much higher, about 8% of the units are penthouses.)

Didn't the same happen at the Grand Westmount? It was initially advertised as a 72 unit building, but it ended up with 77 units.
(04-09-2016, 12:54 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I hope that when Perimeter does its renovations, it saves the old Cineplex door (I think it's still there).  Do forummers know that the basement of the old Eatons used to house an early Cineplex?

I actually went to a movie there with my dad and brother back in the mid-80s. 

Smallest commercial movie theatre I have ever been to - I think it had maybe 20 seats.
(04-09-2016, 07:56 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(04-09-2016, 06:45 PM)dubya Wrote: 1 Vic was 208 but then they converted the 18th from sub-penthouse suites to regular units. The unit count rose by 4 as a result.

I suspect that if Auburn could have a do-over, the penthouses would be single level rather than two storey - not many down-sizing boomers are eager to trade in stairs for stairs!
Quite right! We're not quite boomers, and we ruled those out immediately for exactly that reason.
(04-09-2016, 08:56 PM)KevinL Wrote:
(04-09-2016, 12:54 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I hope that when Perimeter does its renovations, it saves the old Cineplex door (I think it's still there).  Do forummers know that the basement of the old Eatons used to house an early Cineplex?

I actually went to a movie there with my dad and brother back in the mid-80s. 

Smallest commercial movie theatre I have ever been to - I think it had maybe 20 seats.

That's right - there were six theatres, all of them very small - the screens were probably not much larger than today's largest TVs.  I always thought it was the very first Cineplex, but Wikipedia says that the first one was in Toronto.  In any event, I drove by the building this afternoon and the original door is still there!
(04-09-2016, 08:56 PM)KevinL Wrote: Smallest commercial movie theatre I have ever been to - I think it had maybe 20 seats.

A friend of mine used to describe them as "riding a bus with a screen at the front".

I noticed somebody moving in to "The Chambers" at 141 King St W. today. I hadn't realized the renovations had reached that stage.
Which one was the Cineplex door?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »