Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(05-15-2016, 06:54 AM)timio Wrote: I bet it's the Region's take on PRIMOVE.  Catenary stops just short of the intersection, pantographs drop, and the LRT coasts through the intersection before raising the pans to connect with the continued catenary on the other side.  [stare]

This made me LOL and smile Smile

(05-15-2016, 06:54 AM)Canard Wrote: Maybe the curb will stay low (as you say, they're nicely formed), so that emergency vehicles can enter the rapidway here - with signage that explicitly prohibits anyone else from entering?  (think No U-Turn signs on 401 at the emergency vehicle turnarounds.)  Since the curb is so high and likely not mountable by vehicles to get up onto the rapidway, maybe entering it and leaving it by road vehicle is only possible at intersections.

Here's a local example of a barrier designed to keep out regular traffic but designed to be crossable by emergency vehicles. Something like this could do the job...
(05-15-2016, 01:56 AM)GtwoK Wrote: As well, it's quite strange that they would not have buried the hydro wires before laying the track, which is what I'm having trouble understanding.

Why would they bury the wires?
It's snowing/not happy.

...but there are catenary arms installed at the OMSF/happy.

...may or may not have jumped out of the car squealing in excitement over this. Big Grin

(05-15-2016, 10:40 AM)timc Wrote:
(05-15-2016, 01:56 AM)GtwoK Wrote: As well, it's quite strange that they would not have buried the hydro wires before laying the track, which is what I'm having trouble understanding.

Not sure if it is happening here but Waterloo is paying about $1million to buy the hydro wires I believe around Caroline in uptown. The main reason as I understood it is that uptown will look nicer without hydro lines/poles running down the street.
(05-15-2016, 03:44 PM)darts Wrote: Not sure if it is happening here but Waterloo is paying about $1million to buy the hydro wires I believe around Caroline in uptown. The main reason as I understood it is that uptown will look nicer without hydro lines/poles running down the street.

It seems like the ones around Caroline are being buried out of necessity, not because it looks nice.
(05-15-2016, 03:33 PM)Canard Wrote: It's snowing/not happy.

...but there are catenary arms installed at the OMSF/happy.

...may or may not have jumped out of the car squealing in excitement over this.  Big Grin

Nice! Interesting that they’re using the more attractive round poles in the OMSF rather than the I-beam poles.

Elsewhere, I get an extra bit of enjoyment crossing the line because I get to see that beautiful copper contact wire running along. I assume it will turn green eventually (except right on the bottom where it will be scraped by the pantograph) but the colour now is quite striking.

(05-15-2016, 04:31 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Nice! Interesting that they’re using the more attractive round poles in the OMSF rather than the I-beam poles.

Interesting... I hope Waterloo Park at least gets the round ones, and not the I-beams.
Waterloo Park is all I beams (W-section):

I think the round poles at the OMSF is more for practicality than aesthetics: they will likely have crossbars attached at varying angles for all the branching trackwork, which need to be easily attached no matter the angle.
I can confirm that Union and William crossing King are now open! Looks like Caroline/Erb intersection will be able to close tomorrow.
A nice article (!) from The Record about Saturday's visit from the Brampton troupe:

Local mayors share light rail tales with Brampton group

We walked a good chunk of the route, from University of Waterloo, all the way back to downtown Kitchener. Kim Moser even joined us and gave a presentation in Waterloo Town Square. It was bitterly cold, but the sun finally broke for the last hour or so.
(05-15-2016, 10:40 AM)timc Wrote:

That's been the norm elsewhere; where hydro wires cross the planned LRT track way, they get buried while utility work is done. Otherwise they'll be crossing the catenary wires.

Does anybody know what these plates are for ?

[Image: 13244189_965775746869612_7414184789608998040_o.jpg]
(05-16-2016, 11:12 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: Does anybody know what these plates are for ?

Marilyn pictures when the train is approaching? Tongue
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »