Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(05-24-2016, 10:46 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(05-24-2016, 10:43 AM)tomh009 Wrote: The upside is that they are moving some of the work out of the backlogged Thunder Bay facility, so that should reduce the risk of further delays.

Perhaps, but it will be some time before Bombardier re-establishes any credibility in this regard.

Oh, agreed, yes.  Which is why I said "reduce the risk of" rather than "prevent!"

Does anyone know if there are any penalties for late delivery?  Also, will the 10 year operating contract apply even if there are no trains to operate?
Quote:The document also said the region was reviewing its legal options "to recover any damages from Bombardier."

This is the second delay in train car production by Bombardier. An earlier delay had the train cars arriving in October, two months later than initially expected, with the final rail cars arriving in May 2017 – four months behind the original schedule.

I'm not sure what "reviewing legal options" means. Seems like odd phrasing to use for the process of checking the wording on the (likely present) late delivery penalty portion of the contract...

So, first train is now four months delayed. Last train is now nine months delayed. (and, as previously noted, all trains in the middle assumed to have a linear distribution of progressive delay). Eurgh.
(05-24-2016, 10:40 AM)timc Wrote: Given that regional transit changes usually come into effect in September, will early 2018 become Fall 2018?

Emphasis on the 'usually' there. They'll make the change when Ion is ready, I'm sure.
(05-24-2016, 11:03 AM)JoeKW Wrote:   Also, will the 10 year operating contract apply even if there are no trains to operate?

It's a 30-year contract, and I can't see that changing for a few months' delay.
(05-24-2016, 11:18 AM)chutten Wrote:
Quote:The document also said the region was reviewing its legal options "to recover any damages from Bombardier."

I'm not sure what "reviewing legal options" means. Seems like odd phrasing to use for the process of checking the wording on the (likely present) late delivery penalty portion of the contract...

It's pretty typical phrasing for "we're talking to our lawyers about enforcing late-delivery penalties."
(05-24-2016, 11:56 AM)KevinL Wrote:
(05-24-2016, 11:03 AM)JoeKW Wrote:   Also, will the 10 year operating contract apply even if there are no trains to operate?

It's a 30-year contract, and I can't see that changing for a few months' delay.

According to my googling it's a 10 year operating contract and a 30 year maintenance contract.
http://www.rideion.ca/about-grandlinq.html

There is a $1500/day/vehicle penalty to Bombardier.

Upshot: opening ceremony will be in warm, nice spring weather, rather than cold fall/winter. So I'm ok with this. Smile

Edit: the Eric Drozd show this morning on 570 news was, pardon my French, a shitshow. I wrote in and they read my message, which Eric didn't like, and then he tore a strip off me for a minute and a half. Which was a minute and a half he wasn't trolling more callers to call in and revel in this, so, mission accomplished. It's disgusting to me that so many people enjoy watching the difficulties of others. Very un-Canadian, in my mind. We should be optimistic and helping each other up, not getting excited when we fall.
(05-24-2016, 01:48 PM)Canard Wrote: There is a $1500/day/vehicle penalty to Bombardier.

Upshot: opening ceremony will be in warm, nice spring weather, rather than cold fall/winter. So I'm ok with this. Smile

$1500/day/vehicle? Good golly.

So, assuming 30-day months and my previously-mentioned linear interpolation between the 14 vehicles, we're looking at... just under $4M (avg of $284,464 per vehicle)

Nice. But I'm guessing just a drop in the bucket on this scale.
(05-24-2016, 01:48 PM)Canard Wrote: There is a $1500/day/vehicle penalty to Bombardier.

Source? Smile
It was all over the news today - multiple sources. 570 news.
(05-24-2016, 02:31 PM)Canard Wrote: It was all over the news today - multiple sources. 570 news.

I'm asking since I haven't seen this number in any text articles from CBC KW, The Record, or 570 News.
I think Eric said they had a phone conversation with the region's representative to Bombardier.

(05-24-2016, 01:48 PM)Canard Wrote: Very un-Canadian, in my mind. We should be optimistic and helping each other up, not getting excited when we fall.

On talk radio? Good luck.
We should just cancel the Bombardier order and get bog-standard LRVs from Siemens or Skoda or anybody who is willing to bid on the basis that they will actually deliver when promised. Is it really impossible to get vehicles in less than two years?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »