Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
4/4 - Saturday, July 23, 2016

Safety Concerns: Right Turns on Red

Heading South on Charles, at Queen. Will a "No Right Turn on Red" sign be coming here? Or an illuminated "No Right Turn Across the Tracks" sign, similar to what's at Freeport/King?

Heading South on Charles, at Borden. Same thing.

Heading West on Borden, turning Right (North) onto Courtland. No right on Red? Illuminated sign?

South on Caroline, turning Right onto William. Same thing again.

South on Caroline, right onto William.

Other cities I have been to have lots and lots of extra signage around these areas. While we're probably not at the point where any of those clamp-on signs have been added yet (just that hideous "Tram Only" one on Borden), I hope there is a plan in place to not just leave it as it is right now. Otherwise I give it 1 week before someone gets schmucked.

I don't know that the LRVs will be any more silent than electric cars which cyclists already have to look out for. The biggest difference I think is they cannot swerve, and perhaps have longer braking distance, but that intersection appears to have good visibility.

Yeah, that tram icon is ugly, it looks like someone sat on the other one and squished it.
I like the smiley face LRT logos! ION needs to present a friendly face to the community!

I wonder if the LRT will only make the turn at Charles and Borden under a transit-exclusive signal since it will be crossing lanes of traffic to make the turn. How is it done in Toronto typically?
(07-23-2016, 11:05 AM)Canard Wrote:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1791]
Something's... new... here...

The more important question: Why is the sign so high up the pole?
(07-23-2016, 11:57 AM)KevinL Wrote:
(07-23-2016, 11:05 AM)Canard Wrote:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1791]
Something's... new... here...

The more important question: Why is the sign so high up the pole?

To discourage vandals?
But lots of signs are lower... If that were the answer, then wouldn't every sign would be high up?

It probably has to do with the height of the LRV, or the fact that the sign is right behind the other lamp post with lots of lights and so on, at about the same height. The height could have been chosen for sight lines.

I really think the more important thing here is what was the process used to decide to re-invent the wheel by drawing up a unique (ugly/bad) tram icon, instead of using a universally-accepted standard? If everyone did this, signs would loose all meaning. Chaos.
My guess is that in an area with no LRT around they wanted a design that was very clearly a train.

...but...

...but they made it look not like a train.

Actual conversation at offices: "Shoot, we need a train sign. Just give it to the IT guys who handle the network stuff, they can just draw something in PowerPoint, they're good with computers. Get it to the sign printers by noon, we forgot all about this."

"Shouldn't we see if there are standards for these kinds of things? So ours is consistent with other systems?"

"...no, why would we do that? Just make our own and slap it on."
(07-23-2016, 11:05 AM)Canard Wrote: Something's... new... here...

Are they planning to paint diamonds on the concrete?
No, I don't believe so.  There are only a couple of areas of the rapidway that will get a special demarcation treatment - there's a segment just North of the King St. Grade Separation that comes to mind.  They're outlined in the Project Agreement maps.

(I think I know what you're getting at - the diamond in the sign though doesn't necessarily mean that there has to be a diamond painted on the ground. The diamond icon simply means that it's a lane restricted to a certain type of vehicle or condition.)
(07-23-2016, 10:58 AM)Canard Wrote:
Haven't been up to the top of the parking garage in a bit.  It's really fun to bike up (and down!) the ramps.  Smile

This forest of poles lining the route isn't progress imho.
(07-23-2016, 04:11 PM)Canard Wrote: unique (ugly/bad) tram icon, instead of using a universally-accepted standard? If everyone did this, signs would loose all meaning. Chaos.

Is there a universal tram icon? I don't seem to find one on google.
[Image: hotel-icon-near-transit-stop-hi.png]

Cute umlaut.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »