Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Highway 7 - Kitchener to Guelph
I don't think replacing the rail bridge is in the plans as previously mentioned, however the only likely scenario I see would be to build a single track span, demolish the old double track bridge followed by twinning the new bridge over the old alignment. This would provide a double track bridge offset by a track width which should be able to be accommodated at either end. This could also work nicely if the need for a third track comes about. 

Rail Bridges need to be much stronger than a vihicular one therefore I can't see a temporary span working here.

The fact it's currently a double track could work in their favour. They can temporarily restrict to one track, shore up under the closed track then swap, and that should allow the new underpasses to go in without a lot of hassle.
(06-21-2016, 08:10 PM)JCnb Wrote: I don't think replacing the rail bridge is in the plans as previously mentioned, however the only likely scenario I see would be to build a single track span, demolish the old double track bridge followed by twinning the new bridge over the old alignment. This would provide a double track bridge offset by a track width which should be able to be accommodated at either end. This could also work nicely if the need for a third track comes about. 

Rail Bridges need to be much stronger than a vihicular one therefore I can't see a temporary span working here.

Yes and no. Have a look at the form of the Weber rail overpass, which doesn't have people or cars running on it, and see a very simple metal bridge that you couldn't get away with for cars or people.
Next phase was announced today - building the Wellington extension to eliminate the Shirley curve.

Interestingly, it looks like the Shirley name will not be used on the straight stretch here - the old curve that will now end in a cul-de-sac will stay Shirley, but those taking the straight road will transition directly from Wellington to Bingeman Centre.
Good! The last thing the Region needs is more fragmented road names for through roads!
Where can I find this diagram blown up in a bit more clarity?

(08-18-2016, 03:17 PM)KevinL Wrote: Next phase was announced today - building the Wellington extension to eliminate the Shirley curve.

Interestingly, it looks like the Shirley name will not be used on the straight stretch here - the old curve that will now end in a cul-de-sac will stay Shirley, but those taking the straight road will transition directly from Wellington to Bingeman Centre.

I thought this was always the plan. Is this actually new info?

From the CBC article on how Shirley Ave widening:

Approximately 160,400 vehicles travel Highway 7 every day.

I knew it was busy but didn't expect that volume of traffic.
(08-18-2016, 11:48 PM)Chris Wrote:
(08-18-2016, 03:17 PM)KevinL Wrote: Next phase was announced today - building the Wellington extension to eliminate the Shirley curve.

I thought this was always the plan. Is this actually new info?

It was the first I had heard of it, to my recollection.
(08-19-2016, 12:42 AM)BrianT Wrote: This is going in at 200 Shirley Avenue.   http://strasmanarch.com/projects/go-tran...-facility/

Will this replace the current layover facility that is around Park Street?
(08-18-2016, 09:08 PM)Canard Wrote: Where can I find this diagram blown up in a bit more clarity?

And in that picture, it sure looks like the straight section says "Shirley Avenue" over it.

Edit: It looks a bit clearer in the pictures from @berryonline's twitter feed.
(08-18-2016, 09:08 PM)Canard Wrote: Where can I find this diagram blown up in a bit more clarity?

The detailed design documents are at the bottom of this document, This is old news (a re-announcement?), in fact the trees have been cleared from the right of way since spring of this year

A note to check out the elevation for the new Victoria street bridge, a much more architecturally pleasing span than the existing!
[url=http://guelph.ca/wp-content/uploads/Victoria-St.-Report.pdf][/url]
Is there still no public record of how much this project is costing?

Shirley cul-de-sac has been labelled as "Phase 1" on the Bingeman's website for the last couple of years. I've always found it to be the best diagram of what's going on in that area http://bingemans.com/hwy7/index.html
Wouldn't it make sense to switch the Shirley cul-de-sac so the entrance is on the other end for the final phase and thus eliminate one intersection from Bingeman Centre Drive?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »