Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Change Kitchener's name back to Berlin?
(03-13-2016, 02:00 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: ...Those who are in favour of amalgamation need to explain why we shouldn’t start with certain services, on the basis that there is no obligation to amalgamate everything else.

Well, we have started with certain services. Rather quite a few of them. So I agree with the notion that services should first be uploaded to the Region, but since that process has been going on for a while, I think it's probably getting to be time that Kitchener and Waterloo should merge, since so many services are already provided at the upper tier.

jgsz, sorry, you're right about being off-topic. By the way, you made an interesting point about our not wanting to celebrate the centennial of the name change. I have since on a few different radio stations heard promos for events commemorating the switch.

(03-14-2016, 07:01 PM)MidTowner Wrote: ... By the way, you made an interesting point about our not wanting to celebrate the centennial of the name change. I have since on a few different radio stations heard promos for events commemorating the switch.

What kind of promos where they?  I'm out of the country at the moment so I haven't heard anything locally and I haven't seen anything on the CBC website.   Where they promos for commemorating or celebrating the name change?   

I can't imagine September 1, 2016 going by unnoticed.   That would be bizarre.
May 19, 2016 marks the 100th anniversary of the referendum that eventually renamed the City of Berlin to Kitchener, Ontario.  It was a tumultuous time when Canada and its allies were focused on defeating the Kaiser and his Huns.  Many local manufacturers felt that “Made in Berlin” was not good for business while there were those of German descent who considered the 62 year old name part of their heritage. 

“AT THE CROSSROADS

On exhibit June 24 to December 31 at Waterloo Region Museum.
No one posted a link to the Record's article?
http://www.therecord.com/news-story/6561...to-berlin/
We'll be seeing this play next Wednesday.  

'At the Crossroads' explores how Berlin became Kitchener.
A free public discussion about the Berlin to Kitchener name change.

100 years after disappearing, Berlin (Ontario) shows signs of revival.  A feature article in today's Globe and Mail.
That's a very interesting piece in the Globe and Mail, although the "revival" seems limited to a couple of business names that make the historical reference.  We're unlikely to see active, official efforts to revive local German identity - e.g. Carl Zehr Square could have been named Carl Zehr Platz, but that would likely have raised eyebrows.  As a bonus, that would have avoided the weird "Zehr Square" rhyme!  Wink

At least the centennial of the name change has raised awareness of what to me would be one of the three seminal events of our unique local history, along with the original Mennonite settlement and the founding of University of Waterloo.
I love those little quirky reminders that Waterloo Region is a little bit different than the rest of southern Ontario. If we have a Hessen Strasse, why not a Carl Zehr Platz?
100 hundred years!  

Word has it that the chef at The Berlin will be creating a special dish today as a nod to the history of the name change.

Does anyone else find it a bit strange that there is no official recognition of this important day in the city's history?
It's certainly odd. I don't necessarily think we should be celebrating it, but it should be recognised. The city as we know it with its current name is having its centennial today- that's worth noting officially.
(09-01-2016, 07:27 AM)jgsz Wrote: 100 hundred years!  

Word has it that the chef at The Berlin will be creating a special dish today as a nod to the history of the name change.

Does anyone else find it a bit strange that there is no official recognition of this important day in the city's history?

I'm not sure how official you're looking for, there's a statement from the mayor posted on the website:

http://kitchener.ca/en/News/index.aspx?f...32d3f3446e

It's probably just as well.  The name change was affected through xenophobia, war jingoism, and a very small minority of the population actually turning out to vote for the change.  Reminding the local population that if a minority if vocal enough they can outvote everyone else might not be the best idea.
If you are interested in the history of the area, which was Berlin. you will find the data in the 1930 historical society annual report very interesting. I was puttering around looking for information about Lancaster Street related to the rail crossing and did not find anything specific to that but I did come across this very interesting 1930 Waterloo Historical Society Annual report. 

EIGHTEENTH ANNUAL REPORT OF THE WATERLOO HISTORICAL SOCIETY

Reminiscences of Berlin, now Kitchener—Part I. by Jacob Stroh
Contributed by Joseph M. Snyder.  Pages 175 -207

What Jacob Stroh wrote was an excellent inventory and read. The article on Pages 175 - 207 is a street by street and house by house review of every building and dates of construction and description of each unit. Stroh describes in detail each building that existed in Berlin. A few photos/etchings are included.

[Image: pbnB5zX.png]
The members of the Waterloo Historical Society, (that was the name they used for the multi-town/cities of the area in 1930), was incorporated in 1912. The Society included many of the who's who of the area in the 1930's.

President D. N. PANABAKER 
Vice-President REV. J. E. LYNN 

Local Vice-Presidents 
KlTCHENER - H. W. BROWN 
GALT - J. E. KERR 
WATERLOO - Dr. C. W. WELLS 
HESPELER - ANSON GROH
ELMIRA - GEO. KLINCK 
NEW HAMBURG - A. R. G. SMITH 
ST. JACOBS - W. H. WINKLER 
AYR - Miss E. D. WATSON 

Secretary-Treasurer - P. FISHER