Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
General Road and Highway Discussion
(10-24-2016, 02:37 PM)chutten Wrote:
(10-24-2016, 12:23 PM)Canard Wrote: Rude

Or concerned. Tone markings are missing.

Personally I don't feel I need or benefit from the lit highways. Maybe it's my formative driving years being spent in Northern Ontario, but I don't have any problems with driving alongside darkness, my old friend. (Just need to watch your high-beam etiquette.) I'm pleased to hear it helps others... and I, too, wonder if there is substantial evidence for reduced rates of (fatal or otherwise) collisions because it can't be cheap to light it all.

That was my intention.

(10-24-2016, 09:45 PM)Canard Wrote: Thanks Sammy!

I think it's pretty obvious to anyone who's spent more than 2 seconds behind a wheel that this:

<image of a deserted, well-lit multi-lane interchange>

...is far more pleasant than this:

<image of a deserted, lit-by-headlights single-lane "country highway">

You're being a _little_ condescending/generalizing there. Allow me to provide a counter-example of size one :)

I acknowledge that I'm weird, and I'm glad there's evidence supporting expanded lighting (even taking into account some motorists' changed behaviours). Evidence-based decision-making outweighs my lack of preference any day of the week.

This has been an *ahem* illuminating discussion. Thanks, all, for *ahem* shedding light on this subject.
Signals were being replaced at Ottawa and Fischer-Hallman this morning, so a more low-tech system was directing traffic.

[Image: 56KqhK0.jpg][img]blob:http://imgur.com/387013b8-6948-4ed8-809d-c24935c98e96[/img]
A couple of upcoming PCCs:
Weber St (Blythwood to Northfield including storm sewers, new cycling facilities, multi-use trails, and concrete curb and gutters)
Public Consultation Centre #1
Tuesday, November 8th
thP, 2016, 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Wing 404 Rotary Adult Centre
510 Dutton Drive, Waterloo

Construction 2019

Ottawa Street / Bleams Road (including new sanitary sewer, watermain, storm sewers, multiuse trails, and concrete curb and gutters)
Public Consultation Centre #1
Tuesday, November 22, 2016, 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Chartwell Westmount Retirement Home
190 David Bergey Dr, Kitchener, ON N2E 0E7

Construction 2018 and 2019
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Pleased to see the Ottawa work - proper curbs and sidewalks will definitely be an improvement.

Once that new development goes in, might GRT extend the 205 beyond Sunrise? This would put transit within walking distance of Mannheim residents, even if it doesn't enter the township proper.
(10-29-2016, 02:37 PM)KevinL Wrote: Once that new development goes in, might GRT extend the 205 beyond Sunrise? This would put transit within walking distance of Mannheim residents, even if it doesn't enter the township proper.

The latent demand out there seems so low (small area of single detached houses at the edge of town) that running the 205 there seems like a waste of bus schedules.
Fair enough - maybe an extension of the 22 loop? I'll leve the transit planning to the professionals, I guess.

I was finally able to get out to the new Manitou bridge and get a closeup look at its features.

The parapets are far above the typical quality - mason-laid stone facing a concrete pier embossed with the name of the creek.

[Image: KpO6BcI.jpg]

[Image: RZECXXu.jpg]

Among the stone is an engraving of the Region's arms.

[Image: 7nDR5aC.jpg]

The embossed lettering.

[Image: jap6tMq.jpg]
The railing is also impressive - integrating custom-made aluminum screens with a wavy pattern.

[Image: fOurHlW.jpg]

[Image: 5ClUOFH.jpg]

The scale of the road project would have originally called for the demolition of a nearby house, but they were able to retain it in the end. The raod elevation is quite different then previously, though.

[Image: xzPwA5w.jpg]

The scale of the necessary retaining wall is quite impressive.

[Image: ee4VipF.jpg]

I've also discussed the trial that passes under the bridge in the trails thread.
(11-05-2016, 12:40 PM)KevinL Wrote: I was finally able to get out to the new Manitou bridge and get a closeup look at its features.

The parapets are far above the typical quality - mason-laid stone facing a concrete pier embossed with the name of the creek.

[Image: KpO6BcI.jpg]

[Image: RZECXXu.jpg]

Among the stone is an engraving of the Region's arms.

[Image: 7nDR5aC.jpg]

The embossed lettering.

[Image: jap6tMq.jpg]

Thanks for pointing out all the extra detail. I so wish this was done more often. Government always seems to want to complete a job for the lowest bid and do a bare bones job. When did we lose sight of vision and pride in the projects. Spending a little more today for projects that are appreciated in the future while adding a certain level of class to our cities. European cities have been doing this for hundreds or dare I say thousands of years.
Fountain Street bridge rebuild in Cambridge brings 2 year closure

On the upside, it's great to see the integration of very wide MUT's on both sides!

(Edit - Location)
The railings in that render look just like the ones on the Manitou bridge that I documented last week.
They saw how much you liked them, Kevin Big Grin

How does the bridge work coordinate with the timeline of the Shantz Hill/ Fountain/ King rework? I haven't been that way in some time but was under the impression that work was well underway here? That would make the north end of Preston a bit of a traffic nightmare?
The bridge was pushed back because of it. King and Fountain is a nightmare at pretty much any time of day now.

I do worry about the osprey platform right at the end of the bridge. It's bad enough the construction in Preston Heights chased a nearby pair of bald eagles away.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »