Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
Grand River Transit
And we got *no public consultation* on this. Definitely some downsides to the Ion process.

The turning radius of Regina to willis and willis to king seem too tight to make that possible. It would seem ridiculous that in order to avoid crossing the tracks to use a bus bay and then pulling out over the tracks agsin as was originally planned they are going to cross the tracks twice. So other than a huge inconveniece to riders what is difference. I imagine without this new stop most people could walk the extra difference between the gap in existing stops in the time it takes to negotiate that detour.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(04-28-2017, 01:27 PM)urbd Wrote: 100% confirmed that it will be a permanent stop of the 7, even after ION starts operating. The 7 will go right on William, then Regina for one block, then back onto King. I know, annoying.

Now that I've collected my senses, can you tell us how it is that you know this "100% confirmed"?
Also, we know that work order changes originating from the region are costly, but how do these work order changes if originating from GrandLinq?

Did GrandLinq just say, "nope not possible" and made the change arbitrarily or the region has to approve the change and if approved is compensated?
The region would need to approve it. Whether there is compensation or not would often be a negotiation and depend on the individual circumstances and the root cause for the change.
My guess is Transport Canada saw it and was like "Uh... no, you're not puling a bus full of dozens of people at a super-shallow angle across an LRT track, non-signalized..."
The stop should just be left out. How many riders would have to walk how far if it were? The detour disadvantages those same riders, along with every other rider on the route, by increasing trip time. It's absolutely nuts to have a detour like that without a really compelling reason to serve that particular block of Regina (and there is none).

An island wouldn't even have to be as big as the one at King and Victoria. There's probably enough room to make an island like they did southbound at Charles and Water.
(04-29-2017, 10:05 AM)Pheidippides Wrote: An island wouldn't even have to be as big as the one at King and Victoria. There's probably enough room to make an island like they did southbound at Charles and Water.

Or the LRT could have just been kept in the middle of the street. Why is it at the curb, anyway? There are a million ways this could have been done without imposing a nutty routing on the bus.
I suspect the Ion had to be at the curb because of the minimum turning radius to make the left into Waterloo town square. We have a minimum radius of 25 metres, not the TTC's super slow and squealing 11 metres.
It seems there's a preference for single-direction track to be at the curb - the only place in the system where this doesn't happen is Benton-Frederick with its centre running (and that's mainly to avoid conflicts at the hotel's entrance, I think).
I for one who has to drive that route will not like the left turn onto Willis Way then the right turn off Willis Way on King St. It would be easier to go up to Bridgeport and then onto King. But I didn't get asked. Sigh. I sometimes think the folks who make the routes don't drive them and think can a bus make this turn safely
Is there not any medium for feedback internally to discuss issues, suggestions and concerns like this?

Normally a permanent route change like this would go through public consultation.
i just mean, it might be a good idea to actually ask the drivers what they think, too - you know, the ones that are actually out there driving them all day.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »