Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
General Food, Dining and Nightlife News
I really hope you're wrong Sad . I've always heard that restaurants should be able to hold out the first 2-3 years without a profit, to build up business that doesn't naturally materialize from opening day. Have I heard wrong?

It would be surprising (to me) if they have closed permanently, but it is odd for them to be closed for at least the past two days (newspapers at front of door), with no sign to indicate what is happening.  I had invited friends to meet me there for coffee and lunch yesterday morning and we had to go elsewhere.
(01-07-2015, 09:21 PM)panamaniac Wrote: It's now confirmed that the Coffee Time in the Frederick St Mall will be closing and that a Tim Hortons will be opening at Frederick and Edna, in the mall parking lot.

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/5247...m-hortons/

I hope the drive through is contained within the parking lot so it doesn't end up messing up traffic any more than they already do.
Raja on Belmont Ave is closer to completion. The signs are up on the building facade and the decor looks to be ready to go. I've only been by on the bus recently, so I'm unsure if they've posted an opening date on the door. The website (http://rajakitchener.ca/) still says coming soon.
I'm looking forward to trying Raja.  The range of dining options in Belmont Village has become very good, although they could really use a good pub over that way.
Does anyone have any information regarding the opening date of the White Rabbit, in Uptown?
(01-13-2015, 04:08 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Mambella's on King St S. appears to have closed.  There is no sign in the window to indicate what is going on.  Does anyone know if it has permanently closed?

Walked past it today. Sign says closed for renovations.

That's odd. I always thought it was very nice in there. Wonder what they're up to.
Weird didn't they just open that location in the Summer? Yogurty's down the street has a sign saying the same thing, I asked Yogurty's on facebook when there reopening and they said "Our Waterloo store is currently closed for the Winter season and reopening in the Spring. Our Spring opening date is TBC, pending weather. Sorry for any inconveniences this may cause."
What's really weird is that there's nothing on Mambella's website about this closure. The last news item is a month old. The Soup of the Day section on the home page is from Dec 6th. There nothing on the Tweets section. The Contact page shows regular hours of operation. (The contact page also says their address is "188 King St S" but the Google Maps below that shows "188 King St N.") And there's no answer on their phone number, not even a voice mail message. 

That doesn't suggest a planned closure.
(01-15-2015, 06:12 PM)ookpik Wrote: What's really weird is that there's nothing on Mambella's website about this closure. The last news item is a month old. The Soup of the Day section on the home page is from Dec 6th. There nothing on the Tweets section. The Contact page shows regular hours of operation. (The contact page also says their address is "188 King St S" but the Google Maps below that shows "188 King St N.") And there's no answer on their phone number, not even a voice mail message. 

That doesn't suggest a planned closure.

Hmm. I'll check the Columbia St location tomorrow.
(01-14-2015, 09:59 AM)timio Wrote: Raja on Belmont Ave is closer to completion.  The signs are up on the building facade and the decor looks to be ready to go.  I've only been by on the bus recently, so I'm unsure if they've posted an opening date on the door.  The website (http://rajakitchener.ca/) still says coming soon.

No mention of "Coming Soon" on web page today but have not been over to Belmont this weekend.
There website says they had their grand opening yesterday, so presumably they are now open.

I'm told that the new Walper Hotel restaurant, (formerly the RumRunner Pub) to be known as "TWH Social Bar/Bistro" is getting ready for a soft opening in the very near future.
(01-17-2015, 06:49 PM)jamincan Wrote: There website says they had their grand opening yesterday, so presumably they are now open.

Grand opening was on Friday night.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »