Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
With a monorail we would only have half the length of rail we have today! Wink

Or it could have gone all the way to Cambridge, and up to St. Jacobs, with a second line running East/West, for the same price! Amazing!
1/7 - September 30, 2017

A couple of weeks ago, the weather was absolutely perfect, and I decided I'd try and take some more-or-less finished-off photos of the entire line, from head to toe.  Here are some photos from the first half of that day.

Fairway

Fairway

Fairway

Fairway (I understand this is now embedded)

Fairway driver's facilities deficiencies rework
2/7 - September 30, 2017

Fairway Hydro Corridor Right-of-Way.  I've always assumed they'd have speed limit signs up, but perhaps with the in-cab singling (ATP), they don't need it here - and the speed limit signs on the Waterloo Spur are only there because its' shared with freight?  There are no speed limit signs up on the Huron Spur (dedicated LRT track), either.

Courtland.  Note the unfortunate lack of sidewalk on the West side.

Courtland, looking the other way

Incomplete crossing at Courtland/Shelley.  Progress here has been agonizingly slow.

Looking back down Courtland, from Block Line.  Note the guard rails for the outboard track are still just siting there and haven't been pinned down.  Has all work here been halted until the expropriation agreements can be completed?
3/7 - September 30, 2017

Block Line station. Note the completed landscaping on the right.

Crosswalk detail

Looks like a path will run along the length of the tracks on the future Vierra Village side

Love the purple

Hayward; note complete sidewalks and textured concrete at the left.
4/7 - September 30, 2017

Hayward/Courtland interface

Ballasted track with deck plates on Hayward; still curious how come we have crossing arms further along (Block Line, etc.) but we can get away without them here. Speed limits, maybe? Would love to see the "rule book" on how they decide what type of crossing guarding go where

Tamper & Friends

Looking down the Huron Spur, from Mill

Mill station; one of my favourites
5/7 - September 30, 2017

North end of Mill station. Note the landscaping

Transition for the Northbound track off of the spur, onto Ottawa. Not much fun cycling right here; it's tight

Ottawa

Ottawa (whee!)

Borden. Note the landscaping on the left of the rapidway

6/7 - September 30, 2017

Borden/Charles. Love the giant road signs

Borden

Borden

Charles

Charles, at Kitchener Market
7/7 - September 30, 2017

Kitchener Market station

Queen station

Completed Grade Separation on King, North of Victoria

King St., in front of Grand River Hospital

Finally seeing some progress at R&T Park
(10-15-2017, 07:17 AM)Canard Wrote: Fairway Hydro Corridor Right-of-Way.  I've always assumed they'd have speed limit signs up, but perhaps with the in-cab singling (ATP), they don't need it here - and the speed limit signs on the Waterloo Spur are only there because its' shared with freight?  There are no speed limit signs up on the Huron Spur (dedicated LRT track), either.

Hat tip to Tim Mollison on the facebook LRT group, who I think has it figured out:

Putting speed limit signs along the Test Track makes a whole lot of sense - where it can't be expected that in-cab signalling (ATP) will be available from day one.

And yeah, about that...  Confused
(10-15-2017, 06:53 AM)Canard Wrote: Or it could have gone all the way to Cambridge, and up to Elmira, with a second line running East/West, for the same price!  Amazing!

Fixed that for you. Smile
Tom Galloway was on CBC K-W this morning and said that they will be towing the LRV on the test track on Thursday and powered tests in November.

He also said a number of other things about Ion in general, and the Bombardier order, but I wasn't able to process it all as my attention was demanded by my previously Ion obsessed son (he's gotten tired of waiting and had moved on to other interests).
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
This is the CBC article with Tom Galloway :

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/kitch...-1.4354443

Good to see confirmation of the pull-through. I wonder how much they’ll do each day.
Tom Galloway was on 570 News' The Mike Farwell Show today. He said that Vehicle 13 has begun assembly, vehicle 3 is pretty much ready to ship, and vehicle 4 is almost ready as well.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »