Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
General Road and Highway Discussion
Great. Now I have Mute City stuck in my head.

Yesterday, I remembered having seen similar speed cushions installed on Lake Louise Blvd in Waterloo. And they are constructed similarly across the bike lane. Just to point out that the work on Glasgow is not an isolated incident.
(11-29-2017, 11:48 AM)timc Wrote: Yesterday, I remembered having seen similar speed cushions installed on Lake Louise Blvd in Waterloo. And they are constructed similarly across the bike lane. Just to point out that the work on Glasgow is not an isolated incident.

Doon South Dr in Kitchener just got two like this last week, plus a third built as a centre island with bump outs.  I'm surprised, I'd have thought that Doon Mills Dr between Tilt and Doon South needed it more.
King St. in UpTown looked moments away from opening about an hour ago. Max from CTV was set up waiting to film, with lots of Aecon folks standing around watching.

They were tamping the dirt that is where the bike paths will be - a real shame they couldn't get that done.
(12-01-2017, 03:06 PM)Canard Wrote: King St. in UpTown looked moments away from opening about an hour ago.  Max from CTV was set up waiting to film, with lots of Aecon folks standing around watching.

They were tamping the dirt that is where the bike paths will be - a real shame they couldn't get that done.

Nobody bikes in winter anyway.

Tongue
I was disappointed that the other day, the owner of Truth Beauty, who was part of one of the media anti-construction events, wasn't there this week when I biked up to buy ~$100 of her product...
(12-01-2017, 03:36 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: I was disappointed that the other day, the owner of Truth Beauty, who was part of one of the media anti-construction events, wasn't there this week when I biked up to buy ~$100 of her product...

I had a run-in with her online a couple months ago. Her personal Facebook wall is full of angry rants about the pace of construction and the construction workers themselves. She's apparently notorious enough people have even written about her on Reddit.

Quote:The owner of Truth Beauty stands outside and yells at people going about their business to get them angry. She goes into other businesses to make complaints because those businesses aren't yelling as loudly as She is. She's had the cops called on her for harassing the workers trying to get the job done. She's a nutcase. When there's no construction (even over winter) no one is in her shop anyway while other businesses are busy. She's just a shitty store owner. Not everyone needs organic eye cream. Some businesses are failing and that's sad. But not all are. If you care about local businesses closing down, shop there. They're failing because consumers are boycotting the construction and purposefully not supporting these businesses to make a statement.

Is she available for weddings and children's parties?
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Good bye Road Closed! Hello beautiful <a href="https://twitter.com/UpTownWaterloo?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@UpTownWaterloo</a> <a href="https://t.co/oMlq4NMRWR">pic.twitter.com/oMlq4NMRWR</a></p>&mdash; Dave Jaworsky (@DaveJaworsky) <a href="https://twitter.com/DaveJaworsky/status/936715713053626368?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 1, 2017</a></blockquote>
"The Region of Waterloo is owed nearly $35 million in defaulted fines, the majority from driver tickets."

"The bulk of the outstanding fines owed to the region — worth just shy of $19 million — are related to Highway Traffic Act offences."

That could pay for a lot of infrastructure!
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Shame they can't call them in at once.
Some of the Facebook comments are pretty hilarious. One lady had over $400 in fines at one point and is complaining about getting a parking ticket for letting the meter expire by 20 minutes while she went to lunch and paid a previous parking ticket. At some point most people would figure out they should probably stop parking illegally.
I noticed the final design for Weber, Northfield to Blythwood is in the planning and works agenda.

It is recommending 2.4m MUT on both sides of the bridge between Albert and Parkside which is different from before is it not?

I wish that they would add a recommendation to lower the speed limit to 50 along that stretch.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

(12-02-2017, 05:23 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: Some of the Facebook comments are pretty hilarious. One lady had over $400 in fines at one point and is complaining about getting a parking ticket for letting the meter expire by 20 minutes while she went to lunch and paid a previous parking ticket. At some point most people would figure out they should probably stop parking illegally.

Even though her parking tickets are not collected by the Region, and has no relevance to the article.  Darwin will get her one day.... Wink

Coke
(12-04-2017, 03:11 PM)Coke6pk Wrote:
(12-02-2017, 05:23 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: Some of the Facebook comments are pretty hilarious. One lady had over $400 in fines at one point and is complaining about getting a parking ticket for letting the meter expire by 20 minutes while she went to lunch and paid a previous parking ticket. At some point most people would figure out they should probably stop parking illegally.

Even though her parking tickets are not collected by the Region, and has no relevance to the article.  Darwin will get her one day.... Wink

Coke

This sounds like the responses I get of everyone parking in bike lanes.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »