Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Page 800!

•First 100 pages: 12 months
•Second 100 pages: 5.5 months
•Third 100 pages: 4 months
•Fourth 100 pages: 3 months
•Fifth 100 pages: 4.5 months
•Sixth 100 pages: 5 months
•Seventh 100 pages: 5 months
•Eighth 100 pages: 5 months

(06-01-2018, 01:49 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(05-31-2018, 12:41 PM)KevinT Wrote: Great question!  To further quote the report:

Which really confirms that this particular delay is not due to BBD, but either Grandlinq or the region.

(05-31-2018, 12:41 PM)KevinT Wrote: Aside:  I'd be happy if all the phase 3 speculation (including how to pronounce wool-itch [pun, I actually pronounce the second w]) was broken out of this thread.

I don't think we're quite yet at the point of needing a Phase 3 thread. Once the region says something about it publicly that may change, though.

That said, it would be fun to have a space where we could share our conceptual/crazy route ideas, rumours, etc...
(06-01-2018, 01:49 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(05-31-2018, 12:41 PM)KevinT Wrote: Aside:  I'd be happy if all the phase 3 speculation (including how to pronounce wool-itch [pun, I actually pronounce the second w]) was broken out of this thread.

I don't think we're quite yet at the point of needing a Phase 3 thread. Once the region says something about it publicly that may change, though.

It sounds like a good idea to me! No reason for speculation to remain buried in an 800 page thread!

ION Stage 3 speculation thread:
http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/s...p?tid=1180
Photo 
    After hearing on the radio last week that the LRT had to hit the emergency brake because of trespassers on the track, this image is perfect, lol
It happened again today.
I was surprised the recent deaths in Edmonton and Calgary were not bigger news here as a warning to others.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(06-04-2018, 08:55 PM)Canard Wrote: It happened again today.

What happened?

(06-04-2018, 08:18 PM)Square Wrote: After hearing on the radio last week that the LRT had to hit the emergency brake because of trespassers on the track, this image is perfect, lol
(06-04-2018, 09:20 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: I was surprised the recent deaths in Edmonton and Calgary were not bigger news here as a warning to others.

It happens all the time.

It's what happens when you decide that you want to run trains at ground level in an urban environment (instead of burying them or putting them in the air, where they should be).
(06-04-2018, 09:53 PM)Canard Wrote:
(06-04-2018, 09:20 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: I was surprised the recent deaths in Edmonton and Calgary were not bigger news here as a warning to others.

It happens all the time.

It's what happens when you decide that you want to run trains at ground level in an urban environment (instead of burying them or putting them in the air, where they should be).

I’m not sure why you think trains should be grade-separated, but having roads at-grade is just peachy keen. As long as the total number of deaths per passenger mile is much lower than it is for road/bus transportation then there really isn’t much to be done — there is no reason why trains should be expected to be safer than anything else in our society, and at a certain point it’s way easier to reduce deaths by making something else safer rather than picking on trains.

I should also point out that one needs to look at the circumstances of whatever deaths occur to understand what is really going on. Consider two scenarios. In both there is a long narrow railway bridge crossing a river. Every so often somebody dies crossing it on foot. The first bridge has a purpose-built pedestrian bridge right next to it. The other does not, and in fact is the only way across the river for miles around, with a low-income residential area on one side and an important shopping and employment area on the other side.

In the first case, the people crossing it are just being stupid and dangerous. There is absolutely no reason for them to be on the bridge since they could use the pedestrian bridge that has been built for that purpose. These people, or their statistical equivalents, will kill themselves doing something dumb somewhere. So trying to squeeze every last bit of danger out of the rail infrastructure will not really help much.

In the second case, while the danger level is the same, the real problem is the lack of appropriate transportation links; and it’s very easy for a privileged person with a car to say “don’t walk on the rail tracks” but back in the real world people trying to hold down 3 jobs sometimes do what they have to do in order to keep their lives from falling apart entirely. In this case, it makes sense to reduce the danger by improving infrastructure; but note that the required improvement is not enhanced measures to keep people off the tracks but rather a parallel bridge to take the pedestrian traffic.
"privileged person with a car" WOW!!!
It is entirely unsurprising that there are people on the tracks when they build crossings that force you out of your way:

Or just forget to build crossings at all:

(06-05-2018, 08:02 AM)creative Wrote: "privileged person with a car" WOW!!!

Yes, having a car is a privilege. One that many people do not have.
So all people that own cars are "privileged people" and some how look down on people who do not and are therefore branded elitists!

Yeah, it’s a very tiresome thing to keep hearing about how evil I am just because I like to leave the city and explore the rest of the continent.
(06-05-2018, 11:09 AM)creative Wrote: So all people that own cars are "privileged people" and some how look down on people who do not and are therefore branded elitists!

Not all, but anecdotally I'd say more than half.  I see it in Facebook posts and hear it in regular conversation every day from people who never have and probably never will take transit because they've had access to a car since their 16th birthday.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »