Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.85 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
(08-15-2018, 07:56 PM)Chicopee Wrote:
(08-14-2018, 10:11 PM)tomh009 Wrote: We cannot dictate to the owners of private properties that they must build something. We can try to encourage, but we can't force them.

Never did I suggest that we could or would dictate what property owners can do.

Right. So if the owners of vacant land don't want to build, or sell at a reasonable price, developers will redevelop existing properties.

Me, I would like to remove the property tax discount for vacant land, to remove that disincentive to development. (The latest Economist goes further, proposing taxation based strictly on land value, and completely exempting the buildings themselves. With this idea, land would be taxed exactly the same whether it has a parking lot or a condo building.)

(08-15-2018, 09:29 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(08-15-2018, 07:56 PM)Chicopee Wrote: Never did I suggest that we could or would dictate what property owners can do.

Right. So if the owners of vacant land don't want to build, or sell at a reasonable price, developers will redevelop existing properties.

Me, I would like to remove the property tax discount for vacant land, to remove that disincentive to development. (The latest Economist goes further, proposing taxation based strictly on land value, and completely exempting the buildings themselves. With this idea, land would be taxed exactly the same whether it has a parking lot or a condo building.)

Is there anything that prevents an Ontario municipality from doing so?
(08-15-2018, 11:32 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(08-15-2018, 09:29 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Right. So if the owners of vacant land don't want to build, or sell at a reasonable price, developers will redevelop existing properties.

Is there anything that prevents an Ontario municipality from doing so?

No. Here are Hamilton's tax rates, as an example.
https://d3fpllf1m7bbt3.cloudfront.net/si...-rates.pdf
Thumbs Down 
Looks like the vacant spot where Marina's was is going to be parking, at least temporarily.
Not sure if this was mentioned elsewhere, but EuroPro is changing the name of Commerce House to 50Q and they've already started exterior and interior renovations.

More details here:

https://europro.ca/wp-content/uploads/20...ochure.pdf
(01-23-2018, 12:31 AM)Pheidippides Wrote: Apparently the owner, "2407850 Ontario Inc.", of 453 Park St in Kitchener, the medical building that was just demolished at Park and Wood, wants to build a "3-story 30-unit stacked townhouse development."
Source: November 15, 2016 committee of adjustment minutes (sorry Kitchener's new system does not link)

I got to it by searching here: https://lf.kitchener.ca/WebLinkExt/Search.aspx

Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(08-24-2018, 09:49 PM)Pheidippides Wrote:
(01-23-2018, 12:31 AM)Pheidippides Wrote: Apparently the owner, "2407850 Ontario Inc.", of 453 Park St in Kitchener, the medical building that was just demolished at Park and Wood, wants to build a "3-story 30-unit stacked townhouse development."
Source: November 15, 2016 committee of adjustment minutes (sorry Kitchener's new system does not link)

I got to it by searching here: https://lf.kitchener.ca/WebLinkExt/Search.aspx

I wish they had added balconies to this one Sad

There's something a bit odd about ground-oriented housing without any real interaction with the ground. If you don't have balconies, if your windows are permanently closed and you don't even use your front entrance (greystones at Allen and Park), it seems very odd, other than it's a size that gets away from the worries of neighbours.
(08-21-2018, 04:55 PM)Tony_Plow Wrote: Not sure if this was mentioned elsewhere, but EuroPro is changing the name of Commerce House to 50Q and they've already started exterior and interior renovations.

More details here:

https://europro.ca/wp-content/uploads/20...ochure.pdf

I always thought this ground floor would be perfect for a restaurant with a patio. The patio is essentially there already.

The parking garage at Market Square is getting a new paint job.
(09-01-2018, 05:50 PM)jgsz Wrote: The parking garage at Market Square is getting a new paint job.

I just broke my neck, but it's all good, I have excellent benefits.
(09-01-2018, 05:50 PM)jgsz Wrote: The parking garage at Market Square is getting a new paint job.

Let's hope EuroPro has grander plans for Market Square than just some paint and new railings for the garage.
Like a wrecking ball?

That'd be nice … but given that they are doing a facelift I don't expect demolition is imminent.
I seen yesterday that a sold sign was out front of this property at 709 King st E.

http://www.coupalmarkou.com/properties/view/180
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »