Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(08-29-2018, 05:06 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(08-29-2018, 01:23 PM)jeffster Wrote: They sure have a lot of the system underground. Really sucks that we couldn't have done that here, but I guess money is more available in Ottawa.

Last time I looked at plans it seemed the only part underground is the bit through Downtown. There are some trenched areas but those were already trenched for the Transitway. By “a lot” do you just mean “more than ours”?

As to our system, I’m not sure where you would bury it. Uptown is one candidate but the creek probably makes that impractical (not impossible; just really expensive, even by the standards of a buried system).

Correct - 2.5km and three stations on the 12.5km line.

Federal Minister of Environment and Climate Change Catherine McKenna got a tour of 507 today at Kitchener City Hall Station. https://twitter.com/PickelPress/status/1...7054066688 https://twitter.com/cathmckenna/status/1...9728731137
First time I've seen a 'step aboard' photo op at a station, rather than the OMSF.
Yeah, and even in the driver's seat, no less! I don't think even Tom has had that privilege yet!
According to @rideIONrt on Twitter 3 trains are out today https://twitter.com/rideIONrt/status/103...4827002883
505, 507 and 509 are all out today, running from Conestoga to Cameron.

Edit: 509 just went to bed.

Edit 2: 505 is getting ready to head back to the OMSF from Cameron.

Edit 3: Testing for the day has concluded.
At lunchtime a car got a good honking for one of the trains for stopping too far forward on King next to Waterloo Public Square.  The car had to back up to let the train make the left turn off of King.

I saw a car nearly get t-boned by an LRV this morning. Both were stopped at the intersection of King & William (northbound). When the light turned green the car turned right onto William Street, directly in front of the LRV which was proceeding through the intersection. Wow the LRV's horn is loud!!
(08-31-2018, 04:40 PM)UrbanCanoe Wrote: I saw a car nearly get t-boned by an LRV this morning. Both were stopped at the intersection of King & William (northbound). When the light turned green the car turned right onto William Street, directly in front of the LRV which was proceeding through the intersection. Wow the LRV's horn is loud!!

Was the “no right turn - train” sign lit?
(08-31-2018, 05:12 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(08-31-2018, 04:40 PM)UrbanCanoe Wrote: I saw a car nearly get t-boned by an LRV this morning. Both were stopped at the intersection of King & William (northbound). When the light turned green the car turned right onto William Street, directly in front of the LRV which was proceeding through the intersection. Wow the LRV's horn is loud!!

Was the “no right turn - train” sign lit?

I couldn't see the sign as I was walking down King in the opposite direction. I expect it was, the driver just didn't see it, or ignored it.
Wouldn't he have noticed the giant train sitting right beside him? Where did he figure it was going?
(08-31-2018, 08:29 PM)jamincan Wrote: Wouldn't he have noticed the giant train sitting right beside him? Where did he figure it was going?

This comes up with LRTs everywhere — most “LRT crash” video compilations are full of this kind of stuff, more often with left than right turns. I don’t understand it. Presumably if it was a transport truck instead of an LRV it wouldn’t be an issue. Maybe they should redesign the vehicles to be big and boxy, shaped exactly like large trucks. More headroom too, for all those ski poles and contrabassoons!
Interesting. I thought the train/car collisions would come only after the system was up and running. Perhaps we won't have to wait that long.... Wink

1/1 - Friday, August 31, 2018

Three LRV's out today!

(08-31-2018, 09:23 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Interesting.  I thought the train/car collisions would come only after the system was up and running.  Perhaps we won't have to wait that long....  Wink

I'm actually am surprised it hasn't happened yet to be honest.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »