Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.85 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
(10-29-2018, 01:38 PM)nms Wrote:
(10-26-2018, 11:15 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Mind you, I have no idea what this place looks like.

The Halloween Party link does include several shots of the interior if you scroll further down.

I didn't realize that the pews were still in the Sanctuary.  Makes it a bit challenging as a party venue, I should think.  I wonder if they won't be using the wonderful circular space at the back of the complex?  That is a space that could be developed into something terrific in its own right.

I think I'm out of the loop - is it still a church, or has it been sold? I agree, that circular space at the back of the church is spectacular.
(10-30-2018, 08:56 AM)jamincan Wrote: I think I'm out of the loop - is it still a church, or has it been sold? I agree, that circular space at the back of the church is spectacular.

It hasn't been a church since 2015. God has left the building.

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/704...wner-says/
LCBO construction at 332 King St W is progressing ...

So, is the gap on the east side of the building meant for cars, or will it be a pedestrian walkway to the rear parking?
(10-30-2018, 11:02 AM)panamaniac Wrote: So, is the gap on the east side of the building meant for cars, or will it be a pedestrian walkway to the rear parking?

Based on the drawings, it looks like a walkway, not a driveway.
I had no idea there was such a gap. That's awful. It's King Street!! How is there no street wall.

(10-30-2018, 11:34 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(10-30-2018, 11:02 AM)panamaniac Wrote: So, is the gap on the east side of the building meant for cars, or will it be a pedestrian walkway to the rear parking?

Based on the drawings, it looks like a walkway, not a driveway.

Here's hoping - the idea that there could be new "driveways" off King St in DTK strikes me as seriously small town.
I think the gap allows the neighbouring building to be torn down and fully use their space for a tower. I'm just guessing though.
(10-30-2018, 11:51 AM)JoeKW Wrote: I think the gap allows the neighbouring building to be torn down and fully use their space for a tower. I'm just guessing though.

You never know.  Although it doesn't give them a ton of extra space.  Are they the same owners?
This is also why it's so important to study our cycling infrastructure as a network. The parkway is a major barrier to cyclists and pedestrians, so rectifying it should have been forefront on the thoughts of city and regional planners. I don't buy for a minute that the MTO would have rebuild Victoria Street without some consultation with local municipalities. We've seen them include active transportation infrastructure elsewhere when rebuilding bridges, so I don't see why the same couldn't have happened here.
Isn't the gap going to be a little parkette?
(10-30-2018, 12:33 PM)Lens Wrote: Isn't the gap going to be a little parkette?

What??  Ugh I hope that's not the case.  That doesn't seem to fit.

I'd much rather a park than the parking lot I am anticipating.
It's definitely not a parking lot. A walkway with landscaping -- does that make it a parkette?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »