Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
Winter Walking and Cycling
(02-14-2019, 02:26 PM)MidTowner Wrote:
(02-14-2019, 11:32 AM)Spokes Wrote: I think it's just further showing that this bylaw is broken

It is. The bylaw is clear in the standards it imposes on property owners. Very few property owners are in compliance with it for any length of time during the winter. Those are not the standards the municipal government would set for itself if it didn't delegate the work.

This is definitely true.  The standards are set around being easy and clear to enforce...nothing more, they aren't based on what's needed, what's doable, what makes sense, simply, can we make an easy judgement that holds up in court.

(02-14-2019, 01:09 PM)Canard Wrote: If literally 99% of people in KW think this is bunk, can we not overrule the government or something?  What mechanisms are in place to delete this ridiculous bylaw?

I believe they are called elections ...
I'm not sure if they're actually taking the complaints seriously. I have called about properties which haven't ever been shoveled, and in one instance they asked for my name and address, and in the other not. If they had to have my name and address the first time, it makes me suspicious that when they don't ask for it, they aren't actually noting my complaint.
They just can't realistically cover the entire city to properly enforce this.
The labour costs to have proper enforcement would probably be similar to just paying people to clear the sidewalks. There's still sidewalks on my street that are iced over from last week FFS.
(02-15-2019, 11:13 AM)clasher Wrote: The labour costs to have proper enforcement would probably be similar to just paying people to clear the sidewalks. There's still sidewalks on my street that are iced over from last week FFS.

So the solution is to have a bylaw that isn't enforced properly.  Good call council, good call.
(02-15-2019, 11:30 AM)Spokes Wrote:
(02-15-2019, 11:13 AM)clasher Wrote: The labour costs to have proper enforcement would probably be similar to just paying people to clear the sidewalks. There's still sidewalks on my street that are iced over from last week FFS.

So the solution is to have a bylaw that isn't enforced properly.  Good call council, good call.

The bylaw is not yet even in force, we had snow today, which means tomorrow it could be in force, but they probably don't work weekends, so maybe Monday, if the forecast of possible snow on Sunday is wrong anyway.

(02-15-2019, 12:17 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(02-15-2019, 11:30 AM)Spokes Wrote: So the solution is to have a bylaw that isn't enforced properly.  Good call council, good call.

The bylaw is not yet even in force, we had snow today, which means tomorrow it could be in force, but they probably don't work weekends, so maybe Monday, if the forecast of possible snow on Sunday is wrong anyway.

Do they work on statutory holidays?
(02-15-2019, 04:58 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: It also covers Highland Rd. improvements, which I see a few issues with:

That stretch of Highland between Westheights and Ira Needles doesn't even have any places to turn into or out of except the intersection so really wonder why they need 4 lanes there. It's been pretty ruined by the construction equipment near the roundabout so I'm glad it's getting re-done but it doesn't seem like it's really busy enough to merit 4 lanes... kinda like Belmont I guess they say it's a truck route so they need a passing lane going up the hill there... but still, idk.
(02-15-2019, 08:00 PM)clasher Wrote:
(02-15-2019, 04:58 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: It also covers Highland Rd. improvements, which I see a few issues with:

That stretch of Highland between Westheights and Ira Needles doesn't even have any places to turn into or out of except the intersection so really wonder why they need 4 lanes there. It's been pretty ruined by the construction equipment near the roundabout so I'm glad it's getting re-done but it doesn't seem like it's really busy enough to merit 4 lanes... kinda like Belmont I guess they say it's a truck route so they need a passing lane going up the hill there... but still, idk.

Lol, it doesn't, traffic volumes don't warrant it.  But they think in 30 years they might, so better build now eh...that's never been a self fulfilling prophecy. They are considering what horror motorists would have to suffer through being stuck behind an every 15 minute bus however.

That being said, I had a total brain fart, Bleams is the road that the report discusses.  They do mention highland, but only in terms of a consultant fee upset, I'm pretty sure that ship has sailed.
(02-15-2019, 02:41 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(02-15-2019, 12:17 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: The bylaw is not yet even in force, we had snow today, which means tomorrow it could be in force, but they probably don't work weekends, so maybe Monday, if the forecast of possible snow on Sunday is wrong anyway.

Do they work on statutory holidays?

I'm interested in the answer to these questions, too. From my perspective, this winter, it doesn't appear that they work any days at all. But, on paper, does bylaw enforcement work weekends?

Anyway, it's true: there was some snow today. Nevermind that a huge proportion of sidewalks are covered from Tuesday's precipitation, or that intersections as important as King and Victoria have windrows that make using the sidewalks almost impossible. It hasn't been 24 hours since those flakes, so no one is offside.
(02-15-2019, 08:05 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(02-15-2019, 08:00 PM)clasher Wrote: That stretch of Highland between Westheights and Ira Needles doesn't even have any places to turn into or out of except the intersection so really wonder why they need 4 lanes there. It's been pretty ruined by the construction equipment near the roundabout so I'm glad it's getting re-done but it doesn't seem like it's really busy enough to merit 4 lanes... kinda like Belmont I guess they say it's a truck route so they need a passing lane going up the hill there... but still, idk.

Lol, it doesn't, traffic volumes don't warrant it.  But they think in 30 years they might, so better build now eh...that's never been a self fulfilling prophecy. They are considering what horror motorists would have to suffer through being stuck behind an every 15 minute bus however.

That being said, I had a total brain fart, Bleams is the road that the report discusses.  They do mention highland, but only in terms of a consultant fee upset, I'm pretty sure that ship has sailed.

FFS, Bleams seems like it has even less traffic than Highland but I don't go out that way nearly as much so my observation isn't worth much.

(02-16-2019, 02:02 PM)Canard Wrote:
(02-07-2019, 08:55 PM)jamincan Wrote: As much as I disagree with Davey on this issue, you have to give him credit for having a dialogue about it.

Get ready:

(I told him he'd better check out this thread, after making fun of my avatar, and telling me I hurt the feelings of city staff.)

"data-driven discussion"!? Did he vote in favour or against the big study that was proposed and then cancelled?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »