Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.85 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
(06-01-2019, 07:34 AM)Spokes Wrote: Can we just not call it a heritage house?? Haha

Didn't clue into the fact that it was about the Legion. I'll read next time I swear.

(06-02-2019, 08:24 AM)jgsz Wrote:
(06-01-2019, 11:49 PM)jeffster Wrote: 'Save the clock tower! SAVE THE CLOCK TOWER!!!'

The mocking tone suggests to me that some would like the Clocktower of the Old City Hall building removed from Victoria Park.  I don't.  Old building have intrinsic value.  All one has to do is look at the amazing repurposing of the ugly, old warehouses along the railway tracks.  If those old buildings were torn down we may not have Google, D2L, or any of the start-ups that now populate those 'ugly' buildings.   I'm all for new development but not if the past has to be erased.

I'm pretty sure it was just a reference to the Back to the Future movies, at least that's how I read it.
Couldn't find a dedicated LRT thread . If anything it might add to my commute time arghhh. But let's see.

Who's excited? I'll be on it during grand opening hopefully (unless it clashes with a - hopeful - Raptors championship parade)
(06-06-2019, 08:25 AM)Momo26 Wrote: Couldn't find a dedicated LRT thread . 

http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/s...php?tid=14
(06-06-2019, 08:25 AM)Momo26 Wrote: Couldn't find a dedicated LRT thread . If anything it might add to my commute time arghhh. But let's see.

Who's excited? I'll be on it during grand opening hopefully (unless it clashes with a - hopeful - Raptors championship parade)

The LRT thread is here:

http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/s...php?tid=14

Its great that they are out running at full schedule now. Go down King or Charles and you are guaranteed to see one, where a couple of months ago it was hit or miss.  I thought some of the road crossings were going to be worse than they currently are with almost a full train complement, so that is a pleasant surprise.
Renovation for the upper floors of 128 King St E (a very nice building in my opinion).

The ground-floor renovation at 91 King St W (former BG Diamonds & Gold) is getting closer.

Great upper floor reno. Offices?

Isn't that building apparently haunted? I remember hearing that it had some cool history to it
(06-15-2019, 12:49 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Renovation for the upper floors of 128 King St E (a very nice building in my opinion).

I believe this is 137-147 King St. E.
(06-15-2019, 08:58 PM)Spokes Wrote: Great upper floor reno.  Offices?

Isn't that building apparently haunted?  I remember hearing that it had some cool history to it

Highest Ontario court dismisses case of haunted Kitchener building -
https://www.thespec.com/news-story/44665...-building/
(06-18-2019, 06:41 PM)OntMtbr Wrote: Highest Ontario court dismisses case of haunted Kitchener building -
https://www.thespec.com/news-story/44665...-building/

This is good news, although it sounds like this particular case was far from succeeding. If I understand correctly, the plaintiff couldn’t even really substantiate the rumour as being more than a rumour. More generally, though, the seller should have no duty to inform prospective buyers of past stigmatic events like murders that don’t actually have an objectively measurable effect on the property. If we require that, then eventually we end up with such events being recorded on title and all such properties permanently stigmatized for no good reason. If some particular buyer does research, finds out there was a murder, and decides not to buy, fine. But to require everybody to play along with that sort of superstition is not justifiable.
Sorry if this has already been posted but I didn't see it;

The lot formerly belonging to Emmanuel College now has a demolition fence up around it and some general machinery sitting on the property. Everything there 
will be demolished (along with two homes on the side of the property). 

Additionally, 

Almost the entire block between Charles, Delta and Sydney (5 homes, a former printing building)  has been bought by an unnamed developer. Fences are up on part of the property. All of it is currently vacant. Neighbors have been told to call police immediately if anyone is loitering around them (as I learned from experience... Oops) 

Not sure if the business on the corner of Sydney and Charles is also part of that or not.
Is the college moving, or just rebuilding?

^ Downsizing.

The buildings they sold were the oldest on the property, not accessible, and in need of major renovations to remain usable. Also student populations have shrunk substantially over the past 15 years, so the space wasn't required.

They keep the house on the corner, academic building, library, and newer residence building.
(06-19-2019, 02:16 AM)HistoryInDecay Wrote: Sorry if this has already been posted but I didn't see it;

Additionally, 

Almost the entire block between Charles, Delta and Sydney (5 homes, a former printing building)  has been bought by an unnamed developer. Fences are up on part of the property. All of it is currently vacant. Neighbors have been told to call police immediately if anyone is loitering around them (as I learned from experience... Oops) 

Not sure if the business on the corner of Sydney and Charles is also part of that or not.

My magic development wand has always itched to turn Delta into a site for higher-end residential properties overlooking the golf course.  Great location for any kind of redevelopment.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »