Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.85 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
Hope this is the right place for this new development.

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/945...kitchener/

Looks like a good location.

I remember cutting through that property as a kid going home from Shepard
(06-25-2019, 02:29 PM)robdrimmie Wrote: I'm seeing rumours that Frankie's is closing and that they're currently selling their stools and chairs for $10.

I saw two of them sitting outside with a sign taped to it the other day. Yuck, you could not pay me to take bar stools from that watering hole.
(06-26-2019, 03:17 AM)Square Wrote: Hope this is the right place for this new development.

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/945...kitchener/

Certainly an improvement from the current look. https://goo.gl/maps/hyJDKUeQtXU9few47
(06-26-2019, 07:57 AM)ac3r Wrote:
(06-25-2019, 02:29 PM)robdrimmie Wrote: I'm seeing rumours that Frankie's is closing and that they're currently selling their stools and chairs for $10.

I saw two of them sitting outside with a sign taped to it the other day. Yuck, you could not pay me to take bar stools from that watering hole.

I love Frankie's but I'll tell you this. Take two stools home and you won't have to immunize your kids. Tongue
I always picked up my step when walking past Frankies, for fear a fight might break out at any moment ...
I guess this is good news for Capers, however long that one lasts. It makes one wonder where the clientele will congregate next, once they're gone?
I drove by the former MacIntosh Dry Cleaners on Victoria at Bramm and noticed a couple of dumpsters outside and workers inside. 

Yesterday I drove by the former Tim Hortons at Frederick and Lancaster and noticed a large drill in the parking lot.

Is there a plan for the Frankies space?
Might be nice if the Salvadoran place could move down to street level.
About a month ago, workers started to remove the asphalt from the surface parking lot behind the building that once housed the KW Record at Queen and Duke Street.  I had no idea there was a basement underneath the parking lot.   Was there a parking lot when the Record owned that property or was that added when they redid the building?  Did the original building cover all of the basement?  And the obvious question is, "what are they doing now"?

This pic is from the Duke Street side:

I recall that the Record's printers were down in the basement (you could watch them running from the windows on Queen St), so perhaps the basement extended out beyond the back of the building. I can't recall what was there previously, but the Record would have required space for truck loading/unloading, no?
(06-26-2019, 11:08 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Might be nice if the Salvadoran place could move down to street level.

I'm a bit concerned that if Frankie's closed because of rent increases (which is pure speculation on my part), The Guanaquita could follow. But if they were able to move downstairs that would be fantastic!
(06-26-2019, 12:18 PM)robdrimmie Wrote: I'm a bit concerned that if Frankie's closed because of rent increases (which is pure speculation on my part),

Frankie's was listed on Kijiji some months ago, and did not appear to be by a property management company or real estate agency. Continuing the speculation, perhaps Frankie's proprietors own the building and with general DTK rent increases they decided it's more profitable / less work to lease out the space than to run a bar?

(06-26-2019, 12:49 PM)EdM Wrote:
(06-26-2019, 12:18 PM)robdrimmie Wrote: I'm a bit concerned that if Frankie's closed because of rent increases (which is pure speculation on my part),

Frankie's was listed on Kijiji some months ago, and did not appear to be by a property management company or real estate agency. Continuing the speculation, perhaps Frankie's proprietors own the building and with general DTK rent increases they decided it's more profitable / less work to lease out the space than to run a bar?

Or they want to retire? (I have no idea how old they are, though.)
I don't know where to ask this, so I'll post in this thread. The "Tent City" that has been in the paper lately is in the process of being shut down and the residents evicted. Does anyone know how/why it has its own location entry on Google Maps? Listed as a lodging, no less? Google has to review and approve submissions, so I find it a bit odd they'd list a temporary homeless encampment as a lodging.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »