Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to look for potential redevelopment plans
Is there any where else to check for a potential redevelopment plan besides looking at the active build permits or checking the agendas of city meetings? Multiple properties near my home have been sold and the current tenants have been ordered to leave and are in the process of moving out. I assume that the fact they are being forced to move means at the least there are major renovations for the homes planned, but given the number of connected properties affected I would not be surprised to see redevelopment into something larger. The area is zoned for mid sized development so one larger building is not out of the question. I have checked for build permits but there is nothing currently listed for the properties. One of the tenants mentioned that he believes the homes are being demolished but I didn't want to ask too many questions (like if he knows who bought the property etc) because he's going through a pretty crappy thing and it would be fairly insensitive to ask.

(09-01-2019, 09:42 AM)BruceAshe Wrote: Is there any where else to check for a potential redevelopment plan besides looking at the active build permits or checking the agendas of city meetings? Multiple properties near my home have been sold and the current tenants have been ordered to leave and are in the process of moving out. I assume that the fact they are being forced to move means at the least there are major renovations for the homes planned, but given the number of connected properties affected I would not be surprised to see redevelopment into something larger. The area is zoned for mid sized development so one larger building is not out of the question. I have checked for build permits but there is nothing currently listed for the properties. One of the tenants mentioned that he believes the homes are being demolished but I didn't want to ask too many questions (like if he knows who bought the property etc) because he's going through a pretty crappy thing and it would be fairly insensitive to ask.

What street is this?
(09-01-2019, 10:17 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(09-01-2019, 09:42 AM)BruceAshe Wrote: Is there any where else to check for a potential redevelopment plan besides looking at the active build permits or checking the agendas of city meetings? Multiple properties near my home have been sold and the current tenants have been ordered to leave and are in the process of moving out. I assume that the fact they are being forced to move means at the least there are major renovations for the homes planned, but given the number of connected properties affected I would not be surprised to see redevelopment into something larger. The area is zoned for mid sized development so one larger building is not out of the question. I have checked for build permits but there is nothing currently listed for the properties. One of the tenants mentioned that he believes the homes are being demolished but I didn't want to ask too many questions (like if he knows who bought the property etc) because he's going through a pretty crappy thing and it would be fairly insensitive to ask.

What street is this?

Madison N and Duke St E. Two on Madison and at least one on Duke. There may be a second property on Duke but it's currently a church. I believe the church may have owned the 3 homes.
Demolition permits show up in the GIS system, so that will probably be the first thing you can look up. Before that there isn't necessarily anything to find. Someone busing a property doesn't have too declare to the city that they intend to redevelop it, until they file for a zone change or permit.
You could look up the owner at the land registry office which might offer a clue. My money's on it being some numbered corporation, though.
Any real estate agent could tell you who purchased the properties, no?
(09-02-2019, 08:48 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Any real estate agent could tell you who purchased the properties, no?

Only if they were sold through the MLS. Otherwise it's the land registry office. The corporation may not be well known, whether numbered or called something like Duke-Madison Development Inc., but at least you would see whether the properties have the same owner or not.

Incidentally, the area is zoned R-7 (including the church), which does not allow medium-density or high-density housing.

Also, there was a building permit issued just last year for 260 Duke St, to convert it from a 6-plex to a 4-plex. Is it possible that this work is just being done now?
(09-02-2019, 04:50 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Incidentally, the area is zoned R-7 (including the church), which does not allow medium-density or high-density housing.

Also, there was a building permit issued just last year for 260 Duke St, to convert it from a 6-plex to a 4-plex. Is it possible that this work is just being done now?

Looking at the secondary plan for the King East neighbourhood, it shows that both current and proposed use is medium density. https://www.kitchener.ca/en/resourcesGeneral/Documents/DSD_PLAN_King-St.-E.-Panels.pdf

T
he work at 260 Duke was completed last year and people currently live in it. 

I guess I'll just have to have some patience and wait to see what's going to happen. I assume neighbours would get some kind of notice if there is going to be major redevelopment.
(09-03-2019, 06:38 AM)BruceAshe Wrote:
(09-02-2019, 04:50 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Incidentally, the area is zoned R-7 (including the church), which does not allow medium-density or high-density housing.

Looking at the secondary plan for the King East neighbourhood, it shows that both current and proposed use is medium density. https://www.kitchener.ca/en/resourcesGeneral/Documents/DSD_PLAN_King-St.-E.-Panels.pdf

T
he work at 260 Duke was completed last year and people currently live in it. 

I guess I'll just have to have some patience and wait to see what's going to happen. I assume neighbours would get some kind of notice if there is going to be major redevelopment.

Seems that the rezoning has not yet been done. And, yes, I would expect a meeting.
Just bumping this up with a new question. A sign went up on one of the properties (the church) saying an application to the Committee of Adjustment has been received, but I can't find any information on the city's website and it's not mentioned in the agenda for the next meeting of the committee. I find at times the city's site is hard to find what you want, so is there somewhere else I should be looking?     
Yes ... Kitchener's zoning change notices are really not very helpful.
(02-14-2020, 03:53 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Yes ... Kitchener's zoning change notices are really not very helpful.

I emailed the planning department and received a response. Not very exciting. Just applying to have the church rezoned to residential. No official redevelopment plan yet, but the intention is to convert the church to a 10 unit residence and leave the single family home beside it as is. No mention of the two properties on Madison. Don't understand why the big hurry to evict people just to leave the properties sit empty and then do something so uninteresting.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »