Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3.57 Average
City Centre/Young Condominiums | 17, 25 & 6 fl | U/C
I found some old photos of the building that would become the convenience store before it had the grey cladding installed:

http://vitacollections.ca/kpl-gsr/64298/data

From a different perspective: https://www.therecord.com/news-story/580...us-secret/

It seems that the building lost two windows.

By the Way, is the architect of Young Condos "Quadrangle Architects"?

(08-21-2019, 09:44 AM)kalis0490 Wrote: It seems that the building lost two windows.

Indeed, I happened to get a picture of it during demolition:

Formed concrete over brick?  I can vaguely recall that building pre-cladding, but not "Lilians", although I do remember the Palladiium Restaurant next door.
Workers spent most of the day excavating near King Street and the old building.

Weird, between this and the building going in on the old Mayfair site on the opposite side of this building, Weber commons is going to be completely exposed, basement and all. Is that.... safe? Is the ground on either side of the building supposed to be supporting the basement walls in anyway?
(08-22-2019, 12:23 AM)GtwoK Wrote: Weird, between this and the building going in on the old Mayfair site on the opposite side of this building, Weber commons is going to be completely exposed, basement and all. Is that.... safe? Is the ground on either side of the building supposed to be supporting the basement walls in anyway?

I wondered about this when I saw the work on the Mayfair side as well.  Surely it will need shoring up (w/o a piledriver) at some point?  Wasn't there concern at the time of the Mayfair demolition that the building could come down?
On this side I imagine they'll be digging quite deep (below the level of the other building's base), and shoring would be mandatory.

(08-22-2019, 08:37 AM)KevinL Wrote: On this side I imagine they'll be digging quite deep (below the level of the other building's base), and shoring would be mandatory.
Shorly (Shirley) you cant mean that !!!
Grandchildren watch out -- there is heavy equipment on site now!

So much construction going on one wonders if there's not going to be trouble finding enough trades people?  Even with the imports from London and Guelph!
(08-22-2019, 11:10 PM)panamaniac Wrote: So much construction going on one wonders if there's not going to be trouble finding enough trades people?  Even with the imports from London and Guelph!

There is no doubt about it, the builders do struggle with this. And some of the trades/subcontractors are coming from the GTA, at a higher cost.
A pile driver has been on site for several days.  Yesterday I saw a cement truck close to the old building that's sandwiched between the two construction sites.

Lots of piles in place now

[Image: N01Z1E4.jpg]

(09-12-2019, 10:53 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Lots of piles in place now

[Image: N01Z1E4.jpg]

Great nighttime picture.
Piles main part of foundation correct?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »