Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
387-397 King St E and 6 Madison Ave | 2 & 8 fl | U/C
After a half-hearted dig, it seems that all activity has stopped here.

Sad

(10-07-2019, 08:42 PM)tomh009 Wrote: After a half-hearted dig, it seems that all activity has stopped here.

could the stop have been do to the lack of contractors available for the project due to everything else that's been going on development-wise in the city, the same thing happened has happened to market flats as soon as they took the pile driver away everything stopped which was at least a week ago. they've had the permits for this since some time in 2018, maybe they are just waiting for sales to then start or getting a firm tenant? I think the whole next to the building on cedar might have something to do with drainage around that building and the one there going to build but I may be wrong.

looks like in the render that the building is going to tie straight into the one on cedar (same colour pattern and height and it butts up to it) maybe they were inspecting the foundation for the tie in and just have to update their plans because of something that may have come up during that inspection?
For Charlie and DTK there were also long-ish periods of no activity after the piles were driven. I think Charlie was somewhere around four weeks, and Duke a bit less. Do they require some amount of time to cure or otherwise "set up"?
(10-08-2019, 10:24 AM)robdrimmie Wrote: For Charlie and DTK there were also long-ish periods of no activity after the piles were driven. I think Charlie was somewhere around four weeks, and Duke a bit less. Do they require some amount of time to cure or otherwise "set up"?
No, there's no time constraint on that, they could start digging as soon as the piles are in.  I suspect the inactivity has got more to do with contractor availability/timing, and the difficulty of scheduling projects this large.
It looks like something is happening here now.

An excavator was moving some dirt around and there are a couple Melloul Blamey trailers. They've also removed all the crabapple trees (or whatever they are) facing King St.

They have been excavating more seriously now, and there is no more parking lot (or parking revenue from the same). Hopefully this means that we will actually see the start of construction shortly on this long-awaited project.

Over half a decade just to dig up a few feet of soil on incredibly valuable real estate. Yikes. Could have built 4 towers in that time. I'm willing to bet it'll be another 5 years before this is even finished.

Construction in this region is strange. Some projects have been going on for 5, 10+ years yet other developers work non stop, like groups such as Momentum who have crews working 7 days a week.

Looks like full speed ahead over here now.

They aren't doing underground parking here correct?

It looks like they've spread gravel and are steamrolling this lot now. They're also pumping out what I assume is groundwater? Any idea when we can expect to see some construction?
(09-03-2021, 08:04 AM)DK519 Wrote: They aren't doing underground parking here correct?

I'm pretty sure the permit said 1 level of underground parking. Not sure if whole site or under the apartment building only.
This is still ugly, but still better than the original tan brown rendering posted on page 4. The architecture firm has also been renamed to Fryett Turner Architects Inc. It would appear this is now 7 (or 8?) floors, rather than the 5 it mentions in the thread title. Also indeed, it mentions 56 spots of below grade parking. 1 floor of retail and 6 floors of 1 and 2 bedroom rental apartments. That makes 7 floors unless that top corner section is a penthouse unit, in which case it would be 8.

[Image: PlKmds9.jpg]
Is that now a courtyard between the two buildings rather than the driveway originally proposed?
Much better indeed -- the red and dark grey brick makes it look significantly more interesting. The two-story retail/office building doesn't have the same colour them but that's OK. And rental is good!

The permit is for 2+8 so the new render makes sense. (The surroundings in the render are completely out to lunch but that's not unusual for a render.)

This area really is changing massively, with Market Flats, Drewlo and now this project. And it won't end here.

(09-03-2021, 12:36 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Is that now a courtyard between the two buildings rather than the driveway originally proposed?

Looks like it. The rendering that's posted on-site (I posted on page 8, https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/...9#pid73229 ) is basically the same except with a driveway. Hopefully the non-driveway version is the newer one.
I just drove by this morning. Looks like some heavy equipment to start the props/shoring process?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »