Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General Waterloo Region Heritage
(11-19-2019, 12:00 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: Waterloo seems to have deep pockets I wonder where they find all the money

The KPL renovation cost 40 million dollars... 3M seems like a much smaller reno but still a good investment.

(11-19-2019, 03:10 PM)clasher Wrote:
(11-19-2019, 12:00 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: Waterloo seems to have deep pockets  I wonder where they find all the money

The KPL renovation cost 40 million dollars... 3M seems like a much smaller reno but still a good investment.

Not really comparable, as this reno isn't for a current library. It's the former library building, which they hope to lease out after the renovation. KPL should be judged on community benefits, while this is basically just the city acting as a developer. Not that I disagree with the project, the Carnegie libraries are definitely historically significant and I think their preservation is well justified.
The KPL project was a major expansion. The "reno" was just a part of a much bigger project.
I am not just referencing, another 3 million for this project, is the combination of projects they have going. I always see them spending significant amounts of money.
(11-19-2019, 03:17 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(11-19-2019, 03:10 PM)clasher Wrote: The KPL renovation cost 40 million dollars... 3M seems like a much smaller reno but still a good investment.

Not really comparable, as this reno isn't for a current library. It's the former library building, which they hope to lease out after the renovation. KPL should be judged on community benefits, while this is basically just the city acting as a developer. Not that I disagree with the project, the Carnegie libraries are definitely historically significant and I think their preservation is well justified.

I'm at my limit on free record articles so I didn't know all the details... still probably worth it as you say.
It's only $6/month to support local journalism. Smile
Indigenous artifacts found in Kitchener during road construction

Quote:Indigenous artifacts and evidence of a longhouse and First Nations village have been found at a location in south Kitchener where road construction is set to start on Fischer-Hallman Road this spring.
The Region of Waterloo has ordered what's called a stage 4 archeological assessment after 965 items were found in an area of Fischer-Hallman Road between Bleams Road and Strasburg Creek.
The latest stage, which will be led by an environmental company and a First Nations field liaison will "involve hand excavation to identify, document and salvage all archeological artifacts."
A stage four archeological assessment is estimated to take about six to seven months, according to a regional report, and cost $1.6 million. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener...-1.5485132

A related article from rych mills about another settlement that was found near the site of Dominion Rubber in the late 1800s.

"But let's backtrack. The Webers and other pioneers were Americans — and latecomers to this area's story. Lot 16 contains one of the few known Indigenous settlement sites within Kitchener. The 1894 Ontario Archaeologist's Report noted evidence of a Neutral village in the area around 2017's Dominion, Park, Cherry and Strange streets. It had last been occupied in the mid-1600s. In 1912, during the Canadian Consolidated Rubber factory's construction on Strange Street in the west corner of Lot 16, several well-preserved Indigenous skeletons surfaced. In those days, there were no requirements for investigation, consultation or preservation."

https://www.therecord.com/living-story/7...o-factory/[/url][url=https://www.therecord.com/living-story/7577349-flash-from-the-past-lot-16-from-aboriginal-village-to-factory/?fbclid=IwAR08-pCL-TwI54z3HeYGF9xjkYTdO-jaTr9zl5--dXR4YhTsROjLIGHhQ74]
The Waterloo Central Railway has recently taken delivery of five ex-VIA RDC Budd Cars. They are currently stored in and around their shop in St. Jacobs while they wait their turn in the restoration cue. More information (and photos) are available on their Facebook Page.
Some idiot in a truck took out the century old iron fence along Frederick. It apparently had a heritage designation.

https://www.reddit.com/r/waterloo/commen...oughtiron/
(09-14-2023, 11:03 AM)ac3r Wrote: Some idiot in a truck took out the century old iron fence along Frederick. It apparently had a heritage designation.

My family and I walk down this stretch of Frederick a few times a week. That is absolutely awful, as both a pedestrian and someone who has admired that house for years.
(09-14-2023, 11:23 AM)SF22 Wrote:
(09-14-2023, 11:03 AM)ac3r Wrote: Some idiot in a truck took out the century old iron fence along Frederick. It apparently had a heritage designation.

My family and I walk down this stretch of Frederick a few times a week. That is absolutely awful, as both a pedestrian and someone who has admired that house for years.

Lol...yeah, that street is such a microcosm of everything wrong in our community. "Heritage" houses that cannot be redeveloped next to tall towers that NIMBYs pretend don't exist when they explain how a 5 story building would ruin their neighbourhood, all located on a busy arterial street that is horrible for everyone who lives on or nearby.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »