Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One Young (née Mayfair Hotel) | 5 fl | Complete
(06-29-2020, 11:42 AM)TMKM94 Wrote: Could it Be BMO relocating from King and Queen?

I don't think it's big enough, unless BMO is also taking some of the office space above. I assume there's a reason the BMO building is as big as it is. The front Mayfair space is certainly big enough for some ATMs, teller desk, etc but I don't know where one would put all the offices for the advisors, commercial banking, etc. The office space above could work, but having clients head out of the bank and up the elevator in to an office portion seems not ideal. If it's a bank I'd bet something smaller like a credit union.

I walked past the building today. The holographic bricks seem slightly cheesy. It's a cool concept but I feel like it's going to age like the pharmacy building. The engineered wood products are beautiful though.
Personally, I think the pharmacy building still looks fabulous. Smile
(06-29-2020, 02:21 PM)Joedelay Highhoe Wrote: I walked past the building today. The holographic bricks seem slightly cheesy. It's a cool concept but I feel like it's going to age like the pharmacy building. The engineered wood products are beautiful though.

It’s glass - not sure how it can age.
(06-29-2020, 05:28 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(06-29-2020, 02:21 PM)Joedelay Highhoe Wrote: I walked past the building today. The holographic bricks seem slightly cheesy. It's a cool concept but I feel like it's going to age like the pharmacy building. The engineered wood products are beautiful though.

It’s glass - not sure how it can age.

I think he clearly meant public perception, not the actual materials aging. Once the novelty wears off and people have to look at it every day, perception changes. IMO, the pharmacy building is pretty standout in that regard, gives me the same vibes as the Charles St terminal (although obviously there are much, much uglier low-profile buildings). As the glass continues to go in on the Mayfair I sort of agree, the idea is interesting but it does look sort of... low quality? In the same way as that Dutch building posted earlier.
No accounting for taste, I guess. I loved that Dutch building, I love the pharmacy building, and I think the Mayfair looks fantastic so far.
(06-29-2020, 06:08 PM)jamincan Wrote: No accounting for taste, I guess. I loved that Dutch building, I love the pharmacy building, and I think the Mayfair looks fantastic so far.
No, I'm just stating my own tastes. If others enjoy those buildings, that's great. Regardless of how the Mayfair turns out, it's an improvement over an empty lot. And despite my architectural tastes, I think it will probably look better than the original Frankenstein Mayfair.

(06-29-2020, 06:22 PM)dtkvictim Wrote:
(06-29-2020, 06:08 PM)jamincan Wrote: No accounting for taste, I guess. I loved that Dutch building, I love the pharmacy building, and I think the Mayfair looks fantastic so far.
No, I'm just stating my own tastes. If others enjoy those buildings, that's great. Regardless of how the Mayfair turns out, it's an improvement over an empty lot. And despite my architectural tastes, I think it will probably look better than the original Frankenstein Mayfair.

I love Frankenstein buildings. Try this:

https://winchestermysteryhouse.com

That being said, I love the glass idea on the Mayfair replacement. I’m really looking forward to seeing it complete. I found the Dutch building to be a little too plain for my taste: literally a simple geometric shape built out of glass (although still cool to see). The Mayfair has a bit more detail on it.
(06-29-2020, 11:42 AM)TMKM94 Wrote: Could it Be BMO relocating from King and Queen?

That was my first thought.  CIBC seems set up, so too does Scotia, RBC and TD
National? Tangerine? Meridian?
(06-30-2020, 09:27 AM)tomh009 Wrote: National? Tangerine? Meridian?

I'd say highly unlikely for Tangerine.... they only have "branches" in much larger markets.  HSBC?  Is there a National Bank in the region currently?

Coke
Google Maps shows two National Bank locations in the area. One on King in midtown (marked temporarily closed), one on Fischer-Hallman near University.
(06-30-2020, 11:06 AM)robdrimmie Wrote: Google Maps shows two National Bank locations in the area. One on King in midtown (marked temporarily closed), one on Fischer-Hallman near University.

I guess I could of Googled it myself before posting... LOL  I don't recall seeing one, which is why I asked.

Coke

Can confirm not BMO at the Mayfair. BMO will be going in at 345 King, https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/...7#pid81617 .
(06-30-2020, 11:06 AM)robdrimmie Wrote: Google Maps shows two National Bank locations in the area. One on King in midtown (marked temporarily closed), one on Fischer-Hallman near University.

Is that Waterloo branch a regular bank branch or something different? I never even knew about this location, and NBC is my bank.

It would be nice to see one at the Mayfair though. Meridian would be a great fit too.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »