Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The COVID-19 pandemic
There is no doubt we could have done better (LTC, for example, and mandating masks earlier). But between our politicians heeding medical experts, and Canadians in general respecting our governments' directions, it looks like we have at least avoided the worst. This isn't over yet by any stretch of the imagination, but I am cautiously optimistic that we can deal with the coming months in Canada without it turning into a total disaster.

"Peace, order and good government" is a good prescription. At least in this case.

Waterloo Region reported 11 cases for the past three days, or a bit less than four per day; the average new case increase was 0.3% of the total cases to date and 4.6% of the current active caseload. Active cases in the region were down by eight to 74, and down 19 in the past seven days, from 93 to 74.

Testing data not reported until tomorrow.

Ontario reported 154 new cases today, for a seven-day average of 148 new cases. 160 recoveries and no new deaths -- the first such day since the start of the pandemic! -- translated to a decrease of six active cases, which are now at 1,833, after a weekly total change of -217. 17,303 tests on a weekend day for a 0.9% positivity rate. The positivity rate is averaging just 0.65% for the past seven days.

The new cases are 0.4% of the total and 8.4% of the number of active cases. New cases averaging 7.7% of actives over the past seven days.

Hospital population continues to drop; it's now down to just 118 (-21) while the ICU population dropped to 36 (-3).
Mandatory mask bylaws to come into effect July 13 in Waterloo Region

It's about time and I'm glad they've voted on it. There are some weaknesses in this - namely that stores aren't obligated to enforce things (but I think the majority will) - but I still think you'll see a major shift in people who will now wear masks versus before as it becomes more normalized. Within a couple weeks, the people you see sneaking into stores without any are likely those who would have never worn one in the first place, so many are likely pulling the "I have a medical reason why I can't wear one, but I don't have to tell you what" excuse to have things their own way. The rest of the people will likely get one and wear it as they see other people do so as well.

For anyone who can't find a mask, Len's Mills Stores sells fabric ones. There are also some people over on Reddit that are offering them out for free. There was a post from someone this morning which had a nice looking tutorial on how to make them as well. Surgical and procedure masks are possible to find in the city, but a fabric one is going to last you way longer than a disposable mask. Just make sure you know how to take a mask off without contaminating things/your hands.
It was very nice to see a unanimous vote on this.

Fabric masks are even available at many convenience stores.
Waterloo Region reported just two cases today; the new case increase was 0.2% of the total cases to date and 3.6% of the current active caseload. New cases averaging 3.2% of actives over the past seven days. Active cases in the region were down by six to 68, and down 22 in the past seven days, from 90 to 68.

An average of 777 tests per day for the past four days, since the last testing report, indicating a very nice 0.4% positivity rate.

Ontario reported 112 new cases today, for a seven-day average of 142 new cases. 177 recoveries and only two deaths translated to a decrease of 67 active cases, which are now at a new low of 1,766, after a weekly total change of -286. 15,112 tests on the tail end of a weekend for a 0.7% positivity rate. The positivity rate is averaging 0.7% for the past seven days.

The new cases are 0.3% of the total and 6.3% of the number of active cases. New cases averaging 7.5% of actives over the past seven days.

Hospital population continues popped up a bit, likely because someone did not report yesterday; it's now at 131 (+13 since yesterday but -8 since Sunday) while the ICU population dropped further to 34 (-3).
(07-07-2020, 10:09 AM)ac3r Wrote: Within a couple weeks, the people you see sneaking into stores without any are likely those who would have never worn one in the first place, so many are likely pulling the "I have a medical reason why I can't wear one, but I don't have to tell you what" excuse to have things their own way.

I think it will be attitudinal how we can tell the difference.

Take people with Crohn's or IBD - when they go to a restaurant and ask for modifications to remove gluten, they are polite about it, sometimes even downright apologetic. But the people with fake gluten "sensitivities" start off by complaining nastily to the server before acting like total jerks if they can't get what they want in a gluten free version.

I think that people not wearing masks with have a similar shake out. People with a decent reason will seek out a store worker on entrance and explain politely. People with no real reason will walk in with a swagger and get mean when a store worker asks them to please wear a mask.
(07-07-2020, 10:09 AM)ac3r Wrote: Mandatory mask bylaws to come into effect July 13 in Waterloo Region

It's about time and I'm glad they've voted on it. There are some weaknesses in this - namely that stores aren't obligated to enforce things (but I think the majority will) - but I still think you'll see a major shift in people who will now wear masks versus before as it becomes more normalized. Within a couple weeks, the people you see sneaking into stores without any are likely those who would have never worn one in the first place, so many are likely pulling the "I have a medical reason why I can't wear one, but I don't have to tell you what" excuse to have things their own way. The rest of the people will likely get one and wear it as they see other people do so as well.

For anyone who can't find a mask, Len's Mills Stores sells fabric ones. There are also some people over on Reddit that are offering them out for free. There was a post from someone this morning which had a nice looking tutorial on how to make them as well. Surgical and procedure masks are possible to find in the city, but a fabric one is going to last you way longer than a disposable mask. Just make sure you know how to take a mask off without contaminating things/your hands.

Good. Now only If they enforce it and start handing them out fines to those on transit or in stores.

I haven't watched the recording yet, but I heard some of the anti mask people who called in were quite amusing with their excuses against it.

https://youtu.be/SW8lvgK8krA

(07-07-2020, 10:09 AM)ac3r Wrote: Mandatory mask bylaws to come into effect July 13 in Waterloo Region

Dolllarama has disposable masks as well. Of course, you can wear these more than once.
Even if you lack a proper mask, a scarf or bandanna, or fabric torn from an old shirt, will still suffice. You just need some cloth covering your face, it's not rocket surgery.
(07-07-2020, 01:33 PM)KevinL Wrote: Even if you lack a proper mask, a scarf or bandanna, or fabric torn from an old shirt, will still suffice. You just need some cloth covering your face, it's not rocket surgery.

Heck, it's not any kind of surgery...if you've survived a winter in Canada you not only probably have the bare minimum of what you need, you've probably already worn it over your face.

The resistance to this is nothing more than a temper tantrum.
(07-07-2020, 12:58 PM)bgb_ca Wrote:

Good. Now only If they enforce it and start handing them out fines to those on transit or in stores.

I haven't watched the recording yet, but I heard some of the anti mask people who called in were quite amusing with their excuses against it.

You can see the highlights here, without subjecting yourself to hours of video:
https://twitter.com/weidnerrecord
(07-07-2020, 02:38 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(07-07-2020, 12:58 PM)bgb_ca Wrote: Good. Now only If they enforce it and start handing them out fines to those on transit or in stores.

You can see the highlights here, without subjecting yourself to hours of video:
https://twitter.com/weidnerrecord

I was just reading a CTV news article (https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/face-coveri...-1.5014175), and it looks like there is a loophole in the policy wide enough to drive a carnival cruise ship through it.

Quote:The exemptions include:
  • Kids under five;
  • Those who have a medical condition or disability that would prevent them from being able to wear masks;
  • A person engaged in a sport or other strenuous physical activity (including those doing physical activity at gyms, once they reopen in phase three);
  • Someone assisting or accommodating someone with hearing loss or a hearing disability; and
  • People who are consuming food or drink as part of a religious activity in a place of worship.
Regional officials say that someone who is unable to wear a mask does not have to provide proof that that's the case.

So all they have to say is "I have a medical condition" and that's it.

As far as I am concerned, they should get their doctor to send a request to Waterloo Regional Health, who should provide them with an exception card or something if asked by bylaw.
(07-07-2020, 04:07 PM)bgb_ca Wrote: ...who should provide them with an exception card or something if asked by bylaw.

If this is bylaw enforced, I hope they hire some more officers to enforce it.... 

since I just don't see that happening.

But I am in favor of masks when social distancing isn't possible.

(07-07-2020, 04:07 PM)bgb_ca Wrote: So all they have to say is "I have a medical condition" and that's it.

As far as I am concerned, they should get their doctor to send a request to Waterloo Regional Health, who should provide them with an exception card or something if asked by bylaw.

My understanding is that sort of thing is tricky from a human rights standpoint; it's similar with guide dogs and other accommodations. You cannot be compelled to disclose anything related to a medical condition, even if the condition is not specified.
(07-07-2020, 05:08 PM)KevinL Wrote:
(07-07-2020, 04:07 PM)bgb_ca Wrote: So all they have to say is "I have a medical condition" and that's it.

My understanding is that sort of thing is tricky from a human rights standpoint; it's similar with guide dogs and other accommodations. You cannot be compelled to disclose anything related to a medical condition, even if the condition is not specified.

I don’t see the problem. For people who sincerely need this accommodation, getting some sort of credential from the medical system is not an unreasonable burden; and once they have it, they don’t need to tell anybody anything else other than that they do indeed have the credential.

There seems to be a school of thought which basically says that people needing an accommodation shouldn’t ever have to do anything to obtain it; but that is inconsistent with the whole concept of stuff being mandatory. And in our society, I don’t see how it can work to have everything being optional. Things like vaccines for school kids and obeying traffic laws can’t just be things that are only done by unusually civic-minded individuals.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »