Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.85 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
(10-21-2020, 09:02 PM)Momo26 Wrote: https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/popular-kit...-1.5154412

Lot 42 (same owner as Hacienda Sarria) is listed for sale as well. MLS listing

Not a great time to own an events space ...
(10-21-2020, 01:46 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(10-20-2020, 08:51 PM)Spokes Wrote: Totally agree.  No more Barrelyards projects please.

Cough (Schneiders site), cough, cough ...

Crossed my mind too
I think Lot 42 has been on the market for a few months. I've never heard why they decided to sell it. I'd hope whoever buys it would keep the space because it's a unique venue, but it seems like it's zoned in a way that someone could buy it up and build a factory instead if they wanted.
(10-22-2020, 03:37 PM)ac3r Wrote: I think Lot 42 has been on the market for a few months. I've never heard why they decided to sell it. I'd hope whoever buys it would keep the space because it's a unique venue, but it seems like it's zoned in a way that someone could buy it up and build a factory instead if they wanted.

Would be a great spot for a new sports complex, like, a new Memorial Auditorium. Certainly looks large enough. And...close to the LRT.
(10-23-2020, 01:11 AM)jeffster Wrote:
(10-22-2020, 03:37 PM)ac3r Wrote: I think Lot 42 has been on the market for a few months. I've never heard why they decided to sell it. I'd hope whoever buys it would keep the space because it's a unique venue, but it seems like it's zoned in a way that someone could buy it up and build a factory instead if they wanted.

Would be a great spot for a new sports complex, like, a new Memorial Auditorium. Certainly looks large enough. And...close to the LRT.
God I hope not. Wrong side of the hwy.  Lot 42 is a great venue spot and post covid I see it having a future hosting larger events and conferences . But the location is awful, pretty much impossible to walk or take transit to. There is no potential dining in that area for pre-game/ concert meal and drinks other than chain restaurants. A new sports complex needs to be built either at the current location with new residential and commercial district built around it or it needs to be as close to downtown as possible.
I'd rather see it stay as a multi-use venue than an auditorium. The former would allow a variety of event types to happen, whereas an auditorium is limited to sports or at best a small event.

Looks like a small new apartment building is in the works for 624 King St W, the vacant lot at the corner of King/Wellington.

Quote:20-123599
PERMIT IS FOR A NEW 4 STOREY APARTMENT IN BUILDING A AND 3 STOREY APARTMENT IN BUILDING B, INCLUDING A ONE LEVEL UNDERGROUND PARKING GARAGE.

Permit isn't issued yet, but that number means it's pretty recent (past month or two I think).
(10-24-2020, 04:24 PM)taylortbb Wrote: Looks like a small new apartment building is in the works for 624 King St W, the vacant lot at the corner of King/Wellington.

Quote:20-123599
PERMIT IS FOR A NEW 4 STOREY APARTMENT IN BUILDING A AND 3 STOREY APARTMENT IN BUILDING B, INCLUDING A ONE LEVEL UNDERGROUND PARKING GARAGE.

Permit isn't issued yet, but that number means it's pretty recent (past month or two I think).
Is this the project we’ve seen renders for in the past?
(10-24-2020, 04:33 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(10-24-2020, 04:24 PM)taylortbb Wrote: Looks like a small new apartment building is in the works for 624 King St W, the vacant lot at the corner of King/Wellington.

Is this the project we’ve seen renders for in the past?

I don't recall any renders, only reference I can find is from 2017 in the directory thread, https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/...p?tid=1108 . But I'd be happy to see them if anyone has any renders.
(10-24-2020, 04:56 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(10-24-2020, 04:33 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Is this the project we’ve seen renders for in the past?

I don't recall any renders, only reference I can find is from 2017 in the directory thread, https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/...p?tid=1108 . But I'd be happy to see them if anyone has any renders.

Pretty sure we've seen render for this piece of land, though it certainly wasn't two buildings and had nothing underground.  I think it was ground floor retail and one or two office levels above.  Maybe they got more properties and enlarged the project?
There was never a thread opened for it, as far as I can tell, so it must be somewhere in this General Rumours thread (244 pages!).
(10-26-2020, 08:45 AM)panamaniac Wrote: There was never a thread opened for it, as far as I can tell, so it must be somewhere in this General Rumours thread (244 pages!).

I asked Mr Google, and he's pretty good at searching.
https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/....php?tid=8&pid=40696

And there was a render in the "ION Attracts" map.
https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/....php?tid=8&pid=57440

The render on the ABA Architects' site no longer appears to exist.

I found this old render in a folder of mine.  Likely outdated now.

(10-26-2020, 12:41 PM)Spokes Wrote: I found this old render in a folder of mine.  Likely outdated now.
I would take that second render any day! Unfortunately I feel like it will look something resembling the first render.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »