Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
The Metz (Schneiders site redevelopment)
Speed would certainly be nice.

But what will make a far bigger difference is more housing and more jobs near the LRT stations. And that's exactly what is happening. But it will take time.

The speed of the LRT is the biggest drawback of the system. I hope that in the coming decades, whenever more lines are added, they follow what Toronto/Ottawa did and fully grade separate it. Bury parts of it underground or elevate it where needed, but get it the hell off the streets. It's not a streetcar, it's supposed to be a light rail rapid transit system.

At the very least, it still has helped encourage development in the city in the best possible way. Compare 1990s Waterloo Region to 2020 Waterloo Region - a 30 year period. Now imagine what it'll be like in 2050, which is also 30 years from now. The city is barely going to be recognizable, especially now that we've got sorta-rapid transit to help push things along over the next decades.
(10-29-2020, 04:10 PM)ac3r Wrote: The speed of the LRT is the biggest drawback of the system. I hope that in the coming decades, whenever more lines are added, they follow what Toronto/Ottawa did and fully grade separate it. Bury parts of it underground or elevate it where needed, but get it the hell off the streets. It's not a streetcar, it's supposed to be a light rail rapid transit system.

Shouldn’t be necessary, although full grade separation certainly is good. It runs excessively slowly even in many off-road sections, and all I’m asking for is that it travel at about the speed of traffic. The limit on King is 50km/h; a lot of traffic goes at 60km/h; I don’t see why the LRT can’t top out at 70km/h, except on curves, where often it would have to drop down to 60, 50, or even slower depending on which curve we’re talking about.
(10-29-2020, 06:11 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(10-29-2020, 04:10 PM)ac3r Wrote: The speed of the LRT is the biggest drawback of the system. I hope that in the coming decades, whenever more lines are added, they follow what Toronto/Ottawa did and fully grade separate it. Bury parts of it underground or elevate it where needed, but get it the hell off the streets. It's not a streetcar, it's supposed to be a light rail rapid transit system.

Shouldn’t be necessary, although full grade separation certainly is good. It runs excessively slowly even in many off-road sections, and all I’m asking for is that it travel at about the speed of traffic. The limit on King is 50km/h; a lot of traffic goes at 60km/h; I don’t see why the LRT can’t top out at 70km/h, except on curves, where often it would have to drop down to 60, 50, or even slower depending on which curve we’re talking about.

It is supposed to be a streetcar in central parts (where speed may not matter as much) and LRT in non-central parts. One would think that with ATP functional they should have bumped up the speed.

pat
It could be way faster in certain sections such as coming out of Fairview when before hitting Courtland, Block Line to Mill industrial back section etc. I'm not as familiar where the speed could take place in Waterloo.

Proper planning for offshoot veins needs serious consideration. I always felt mini bus shuttles FREQUENTLY taking people to LRT nodes would get people from the burbs onto the public transit.
(10-29-2020, 07:34 PM)Momo26 Wrote:  I always felt mini bus shuttles FREQUENTLY taking people to LRT nodes would get people from the burbs onto the public transit.

That's what bus routes are for, especially the iXpress routes. :-)
(10-29-2020, 06:18 PM)plam Wrote: It is supposed to be a streetcar in central parts (where speed may not matter as much) and LRT in non-central parts. One would think that with ATP functional they should have bumped up the speed.

No, it's an LRT along the full length. A streetcar uses the same lanes as cars do, the same traffic signals and so on, and can get stuck in stuck in traffic congestion because it is mixed in like that.

ION is never mixed in with traffic anywhere along its length.

(10-30-2020, 10:17 AM)Bytor Wrote:
(10-29-2020, 06:18 PM)plam Wrote: It is supposed to be a streetcar in central parts (where speed may not matter as much) and LRT in non-central parts. One would think that with ATP functional they should have bumped up the speed.

No, it's an LRT along the full length. A streetcar uses the same lanes as cars do, the same traffic signals and so on, and can get stuck in stuck in traffic congestion because it is mixed in like that.

ION is never mixed in with traffic anywhere along its length.

Somebody should tell local drivers ....  Smile
(10-30-2020, 10:12 AM)Bytor Wrote:
(10-29-2020, 07:34 PM)Momo26 Wrote:  I always felt mini bus shuttles FREQUENTLY taking people to LRT nodes would get people from the burbs onto the public transit.

That's what bus routes are for, especially the iXpress routes. :-)

This is one case where I am unsure if you're being sarcastic.
(10-30-2020, 10:41 AM)jeffster Wrote:
(10-30-2020, 10:12 AM)Bytor Wrote: That's what bus routes are for, especially the iXpress routes. :-)

This is one case where I am unsure if you're being sarcastic.

Haha same...
Sorry as I've shared before - I have to take 2 busses just to get to the LRT. Up until 2 years ago, I would have had to walk 25mins to catch 1 bus to get to where the LRT station is currently. Every pocket or corner of K-W should not require more than one bus to get to the LRT.
(10-30-2020, 11:49 AM)Momo26 Wrote:
(10-30-2020, 10:41 AM)jeffster Wrote: This is one case where I am unsure if you're being sarcastic.

Haha same...
Sorry as I've shared before - I have to take 2 busses just to get to the LRT. Up until 2 years ago, I would have had to walk 25mins to catch 1 bus to get to where the LRT station is currently. Every pocket or corner of K-W should not require more than one bus to get to the LRT.

I agree, the GRT has horrible service. It's just not the long walks to the stop, lack of shelters is another issue. As is frequency, and hours of operation. The blame though lies in how the cities are designed. And unfortunately, we can't change the design.
They have been continuing the demolition after pausing for a year.    

Demolition Nearly Done at Schneider's Plant

Demolition stopped in July 2019 because of disagreement with the demolition contractor.

Public consultation in the early spring.

Construction expected to start in June and take 10 years.
Another decade long Auburn hole in the ground - yay...
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »