Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grocery Stores
(10-19-2020, 02:20 PM)GarthDanlor Wrote:
(10-18-2020, 10:46 PM)KevinL Wrote: Back when it was actually a mall, and not a Superstore with some ancillary businesses.

Wasn't the original main tenant the Super Centre?  I vaguely recall it being huge and having a similar footprint to the RCSS, except for the smallish area where the foodcourt and a few businesses were?

That's right. Then Zehrs, and now Superstore, a revised reincarnation of the Super Centre.

The SuperCentre unit was split in two and became Zehrs and Zellers, but the food court opened before that. It was after Zellers left that they took out the food court and put in Superstore and the short-lived Goodlife.
Roua Food Market now open in Southwood Plaza, next to Nougat.

A nice addition!  Is it halal?  Not really that far from DTK.

It occurs to me that, along Courtland from Benton to Stirling, you could purchase a selection of Serbian, Filipino, German/Polish, and Mediterranean foods.
It does say "halal" on the door so I think it'll be halal on the inside, too! Wink
(11-22-2020, 11:20 PM)tomh009 Wrote: It does say "halal" on the door so I think it'll be halal on the inside, too! Wink
D’oh!
(11-22-2020, 06:47 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Roua Food Market now open in Southwood Plaza, next to Nougat.
That is conveniently a short walk from my home.

(11-23-2020, 10:37 AM)Acitta Wrote:
(11-22-2020, 06:47 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Roua Food Market now open in Southwood Plaza, next to Nougat.
That is conveniently a short walk from my home.
The meat and fish counters dominate the store. They have a small fruit and vegetable section and the rest is mostly packaged goods from the middle east.
(11-23-2020, 03:35 PM)Acitta Wrote:
(11-23-2020, 10:37 AM)Acitta Wrote: That is conveniently a short walk from my home.
The meat and fish counters dominate the store. They have a small fruit and vegetable section and the rest is mostly packaged goods from the middle east.
No idea this was opening. Do they also do bread and other baked goods or do they leave that to Nougat?
Grading is taking place for the shopping centre at Bleams and Fischer Hallman. Looks like some tenants have been signed including a Food Basics. I wish it was something different as this part of town is already saturated with traditional and discount banners that we already have plenty of locally. A Metro would have been more exciting. https://oneproperties.com/assets/Propert...r-2020.pdf
(11-23-2020, 04:34 PM)GarthDanlor Wrote:
(11-23-2020, 03:35 PM)Acitta Wrote: The meat and fish counters dominate the store. They have a small fruit and vegetable section and the rest is mostly packaged goods from the middle east.
No idea this was opening. Do they also do bread and other baked goods or do they leave that to Nougat?
No baked goods that I could see. It is not that big. I think that people will shop there mainly for the halal meat and fish.
(11-23-2020, 05:45 PM)neonjoe Wrote: Grading is taking place for the shopping centre at Bleams and Fischer Hallman. Looks like some tenants have been signed including a Food Basics. I wish it was something different as this part of town is already saturated with traditional and discount banners that we already have plenty of locally. A Metro would have been more exciting. https://oneproperties.com/assets/Propert...r-2020.pdf

The first plans we saw for this site indicated it would be a Metro - I'm as disappointed as you to see their discount brand instead. We're still waiting on a store from their flagship around here...
(11-23-2020, 08:26 PM)KevinL Wrote:
(11-23-2020, 05:45 PM)neonjoe Wrote: Grading is taking place for the shopping centre at Bleams and Fischer Hallman. Looks like some tenants have been signed including a Food Basics. I wish it was something different as this part of town is already saturated with traditional and discount banners that we already have plenty of locally. A Metro would have been more exciting. https://oneproperties.com/assets/Propert...r-2020.pdf

The first plans we saw for this site indicated it would be a Metro - I'm as disappointed as you to see their discount brand instead. We're still waiting on a store from their flagship around here...

I agree. I really like Metro because they offer much better ready made meals than both Sobeys and Zehrs, plus their instore pizza is divine. However, since their flagship store in Cambridge failed it appears that Metro Ontario is scared to open another flagship store in the region. It really sucks because honestly we have enough Food Basics here and we didn't need another. Plus the nearest Metro is already more than 30 minutes away in Guelph.

I wonder what grocery store will be moving into Station Park: https://outline.com/fuTR7v

If it is a full sized grocer, perhaps a Zehrs?
(03-15-2021, 03:25 PM)ac3r Wrote: I wonder what grocery store will be moving into Station Park: https://outline.com/fuTR7v

If it is a full sized grocer, perhaps a Zehrs?

I'd like to see a Metro although it's unlikely they'll move in.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »