Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Charles St GRT terminal redevelopment
(11-14-2020, 10:00 PM)tomh009 Wrote: You've never experienced one of these US customs plazas, with 5-10 lines of cars, each with 10-20 cars in it?

[Image: gettyimages-1139518324.webp]

I really don't see this as a major issue. But we can just agree to disagree on this point.

I have experienced that customs plaza or a very similar one, but you're missing my point. There is 2.5-3 meters of space between those lines of cars, a vehicle could drive between those lines of cars (completely unimpeeded if those drivers were able to form a straight line anyway).

By Google Earth measurements at Queenston-Lewiston (where I have crossed) each laneway is >5 meters wide, you're suggesting to put two lanes in slightly more than six meters. That is clearly tighter with far less maneuvering room, even before you consider the vertical wall.

(11-14-2020, 04:39 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(11-14-2020, 03:51 PM)clasher Wrote: With the weather turning I wouldn't mind if they re-opened Gaukel partially.

What is the value in doing so?

I meant that they could use it for the COVID testing centre instead other surrounding streets, dunno if it will be needed or not. I don’t think they should reopen the road to regular traffic in The future.
(11-16-2020, 10:41 PM)clasher Wrote:
(11-14-2020, 04:39 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: What is the value in doing so?

I meant that they could use it for the COVID testing centre instead other surrounding streets, dunno if it will be needed or not. I don’t think they should reopen the road to regular traffic in The future.

This is a fair point, and as someone who's driveway is on Ontario St., I'm certainly in favour of the concept.

My preference would be to not have more than 10-20 cars idling at a time next to where I live though...my relatives joked that I'm going to be living at the COVID hotspot, I have very little fear of that, I have much more fear of air pollution.

If they do need an overflow space for more cars, I'd also prefer if they use one of the large nearby parking lots, but sadly, I imagine given the winter weather, drivers would still be idling there too.
(11-14-2020, 10:02 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(11-14-2020, 09:52 AM)jamincan Wrote: There's still room for cars to access others bays from the last bay even without using Gaukel. I'm assuming people aren't driving a bus through the testing centre.

Not sure what you're saying here. I am literally looking at it out my window right now.  Unlike all the other bays, the last bay has an extended platform so that the curbs go all the way to the concrete jersey barriers along Gaukel. A driver could drive in, but they would have to reverse out the same way they came in...not really suitable for a lineup.

The end of that extended platform was removed this week, so it appears they will indeed be using that last bay.
(12-05-2020, 09:35 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(11-14-2020, 10:02 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: Not sure what you're saying here. I am literally looking at it out my window right now.  Unlike all the other bays, the last bay has an extended platform so that the curbs go all the way to the concrete jersey barriers along Gaukel. A driver could drive in, but they would have to reverse out the same way they came in...not really suitable for a lineup.

The end of that extended platform was removed this week, so it appears they will indeed be using that last bay.

Yeah, I saw that out my window...it's surprising...a lot of money is being spent on this temporary facility, including gas heaters, which is strange given the building was heated, I assumed they would have some way to do that besides running gas heaters 24/7.
They might be intending to use it for vaccinations, too.

Really, the costs here are pretty small when viewed through the lens of the overall pandemic costs in the region.
When is it supposed to start operations?

(12-06-2020, 05:33 PM)panamaniac Wrote: When is it supposed to start operations?

I believe today (Dec 6) is the last day for Glasgow, tomorrow is moving day, and Tuesday (Dec 8) the Charles terminal opens.
Grand River’s new COVID-19 test site open:
https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-...-open.html

[Image: grh_testing_site.jpg]
It seems to be flowing pretty well, there is a person in the first aisle just beside the entrance to the pedestrian overpass checking for appointments (I haven't yet seen someone have to back out, but I suspect some of our drivers would struggle with that), and the lineup is filling 1-1.5 aisles past that point.
How is this going to affect the GO bus stop on Ontario St.? I take the #30 there periodically and stand right at the entrance to wait for the bus.
(12-08-2020, 02:22 PM)Acitta Wrote: How is this going to affect the GO bus stop on Ontario St.? I take the #30 there periodically and stand right at the entrance to wait for the bus.

They are still stopping in the same place, they don't really conflict.

I will try and grab a photo.

Here's a photo. The lineup has grown some, it is now about 2.5 aisles long, but still not exceeding capacity, which is good.

The GO Bus is stopping in the same place as before, you get to wait by the sign. Honestly, in some ways, it's an improvement, since there is no longer any parked cars in the Bus Stop. On the other hand you get to breath in the exhaust from 20-30 idling cars.

(12-08-2020, 03:31 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Here's a photo. The lineup has grown some, it is now about 2.5 aisles long, but still not exceeding capacity, which is good.

The GO Bus is stopping in the same place as before, you get to wait by the sign. Honestly, in some ways, it's an improvement, since there is no longer any parked cars in the Bus Stop. On the other hand you get to breath in the exhaust from 20-30 idling cars.
I don't understand why all of these people don't take public transit. There is an ION stop right there. People are selfish.
(12-08-2020, 03:35 PM)Acitta Wrote:
(12-08-2020, 03:31 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Here's a photo. The lineup has grown some, it is now about 2.5 aisles long, but still not exceeding capacity, which is good.

I don't understand why all of these people don't take public transit. There is an ION stop right there. People are selfish.

To be entirely fair, I'm going to say that going to get a COVID test while symptomatic is one case where driving a car is somewhat reasonable.

The lineups and exhaust are unfortunate.  Now many (not all) of these folks could walk...and if there was safe infra, other could bike, but ultimately...fuck the pandemic.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »