Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Parcel Delivery
I wasn't quite sure where to put this, but I was wondering if other folks were having this issue. We live in a small multi-residential tower, (13 stories, ~60 units).

Most delivery companies (with the exception of Purolator) have no problem delivering packages to us in the building. They buzz whoever they are delivering a package too, and just come in and leave them all by people's doors (sometimes they are delivering to more than one unit).

Canada Post has access to our building and we have a mail room where they can deliver letter mail. So they have no obstacle to getting into the building. We also have a giant Canada Post package locker, with about 8 package spots.

However, the last several times CP has tried to deliver to us, the packages were instead diverted to the post office. No attempt was made to deliver to the door, the packages were not put in the package locker (they would have fit), they were not left by the door, and they did not knock or call or buzz. We have been home as a result of the pandemic and would have received such a notification.

Anyone else having this problem? I mean, I know they are swamped, and if they asked, I'd probably be fine to just pick it up...well...for some of the times, it also happened while we were quarantined which was a problem...but it's a little frustrating getting a missed delivery notification when I *KNOW* we were home, and when I KNOW the delivery person was able to get into the building and especially when our building explicitly requested and had installed a parcel locker.

Yes, happens from time to time. Saves time for the delivery person to just drop them off, so some of them may get lazy or rush.

When I was still working in the office, I would usually specify delivery to the post office when ordering from Amazon. Close enough for me to pick up, and no worries about having to be at home.
(12-24-2020, 10:38 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Yes, happens from time to time. Saves time for the delivery person to just drop them off, so some of them may get lazy or rush.

When I was still working in the office, I would usually specify delivery to the post office when ordering from Amazon. Close enough for me to pick up, and no worries about having to be at home.

Yeah, that was something I would do. Especially when packages started coming at all hours and I couldn't reliably ship it to work OR home.

But come on, our building has a parcel locker. This has resulted in us not having Christmas gifts from a family member on Christmas.
I have actually had a paper missed delivery notice after I had already picked up the parcel at the post office because of also getting an email notice.
(12-24-2020, 10:47 PM)Acitta Wrote: I have actually had a paper missed delivery notice after I had already picked up the parcel at the post office because of also getting an email notice.

This happened to me this week with Canada Post. I was home and got the tracking update that the delivery was attempted and a slip left at my door. I look around, no tracks in the snow, no slip. Tracking updated to available for pick-up so I went to the post office. Got the slip a day later.

Then today one of the Amazon delivery agencies rang the video door bell, took a picture of the package on our step and left. Then we got an email saying the package was delivered and signed for. The signature in the email was literally five vertical lines. I know they are in a hurry but if that package was stolen or missing I would have raised hell. The whole thing is on our video doorbell and so it seems kind of odd that the delivery guy would do that.
Canada Post hasn't attempted to deliver a package since the pandemic started for me (unless it's tiny and fits in our regular letter box). It's always straight to the post office.
I mean, I do understand their situation, but I feel like there could be more transparency and honesty here.

There is also, frankly, an opportunity to make more money...charge the sender extra for actual delivery...otherwise drop it at the post office automatically.

Maybe order your presents earlier, like it shouldn't be a surprise that the busiest time of year for packages is even busier this year with more people ordering online than ever before.
We have a shipping team at work. As of the pandemic CP notified us that anything that requires a signature will need to be picked up at the Post Office. Our shipping team switched to Purolator due to this.
My personal experience living in a suburb is that anything not requiring a signature does come and goes into the parcel locker in the mailbox. But our mailbox only has 4 parcel spots. So I don’t know what happens if there are more than that.
(12-25-2020, 08:44 AM)clasher Wrote: Maybe order your presents earlier, like it shouldn't be a surprise that the busiest time of year for packages is even busier this year with more people ordering online than ever before.

Not sure if this is intended to be helpful or not but, what an answer on Christmas day, for my little sister who did send her gift in plenty of time (the according to CPs own website it should have arrived in plenty of time) and where the missed delivery slip was delivered yesterday. Thanks Buddy. 

Merry Christmas everyone.
(12-25-2020, 09:16 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(12-25-2020, 08:44 AM)clasher Wrote: Maybe order your presents earlier, like it shouldn't be a surprise that the busiest time of year for packages is even busier this year with more people ordering online than ever before.

Not sure if this is intended to be helpful or not but, what an answer on Christmas day, for my little sister who did send her gift in plenty of time (the according to CPs own website it should have arrived in plenty of time) and where the missed delivery slip was delivered yesterday. Thanks Buddy. 

You're welcome! I dunno why it matters that it's xmas, my response would have been the same any other day of the year. You even said that CP has been screwing with the deliveries lately so I dunno why you expected it to change for xmas.
I’ve had a couple of registered letters arrive at the house just dropped off — no attempt to collect a signature at all.

More generally, I’ve long thought that many years ago they should have discontinued attempting unsolicited deliveries of packages. Instead, when the parcel is a couple of days away, generate a delivery slip in the system at the post office from which the regular letter carrier for the address starts their route; just deliver the delivery slip along with normal lettermail. The slip would give the option of choosing a local post office for pickup or of scheduling a delivery, with or without requiring a signature. There would also be the option of setting a permanent preference and/or changing future notifications to be by email.

Also cancel Tuesday and Thursday lettermail delivery; nobody cares if their bills arrive today or tomorrow.

It’s been a long time since every house had a housewife ready to accept packages all day while the man of the family was out bringing home the bacon from the office.
I really wish Canada Post could smarten up and have a system like UPS My Choice.
If anything is shipped to me with my name and address I get a notification on my phone and if it’s within 24 hours I can redirect the package to a UPS store, add instructions for them to open the garage door etc. It’s pretty slick.
You could also try Canada Post Flex delivery, this will always send it to the post office but you will at least know where it will be and get better notifications about it.

(12-25-2020, 09:31 AM)clasher Wrote:
(12-25-2020, 09:16 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: Not sure if this is intended to be helpful or not but, what an answer on Christmas day, for my little sister who did send her gift in plenty of time (the according to CPs own website it should have arrived in plenty of time) and where the missed delivery slip was delivered yesterday. Thanks Buddy. 

You're welcome! I dunno why it matters that it's xmas, my response would have been the same any other day of the year. You even said that CP has been screwing with the deliveries lately so I dunno why you expected it to change for xmas.

Okay, maybe I wasn't totally clear. I did not find the answer helpful, and a little hurtful honestly. It is obvious that someone could have sent a package earlier everyone understands that. It matters because my sister is disappointed, and she followed all the directions that CP gave for a package to arrive on time, so I think it's unhelpful to suggest something like this, on Christmas Day.
(12-25-2020, 09:46 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: I’ve had a couple of registered letters arrive at the house just dropped off — no attempt to collect a signature at all.

More generally, I’ve long thought that many years ago they should have discontinued attempting unsolicited deliveries of packages. Instead, when the parcel is a couple of days away, generate a delivery slip in the system at the post office from which the regular letter carrier for the address starts their route; just deliver the delivery slip along with normal lettermail. The slip would give the option of choosing a local post office for pickup or of scheduling a delivery, with or without requiring a signature. There would also be the option of setting a permanent preference and/or changing future notifications to be by email.

Also cancel Tuesday and Thursday lettermail delivery; nobody cares if their bills arrive today or tomorrow.

It’s been a long time since every house had a housewife ready to accept packages all day while the man of the family was out bringing home the bacon from the office.

There is definitely huge room for improving customer service and streamlining their business in this industry...although it is interesting, because they do seem to be trying new things, but there does seem to be significant logistical challenges to doing some of them.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »