Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
King-Victoria Transit Hub
(02-25-2021, 05:34 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(02-25-2021, 04:01 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: The transit hub isn't even big enough to house this?

https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-...pture.html

How big is the sculpture? The article didn't say.

I don't know for sure, but it was inside Lot42...which is a single storey building. "It went right to the ceiling"...so I can imagine that it is large, but if I recall the design correctly, our Transit Hub is two storeys, with an open space that goes the full two stories, yet it is not large enough to hold this which fit inside a single storey warehouse. They must not be terribly big stories.

Lot42 is/was a really tall single story building. You could see the piece from the highway as you drove past at night.

https://goo.gl/maps/GpPPvAuC44kM2fjQ6
(02-25-2021, 05:54 PM)timio Wrote: Lot42 is/was a really tall single story building. You could see the piece from the highway as you drove past at night.

https://goo.gl/maps/GpPPvAuC44kM2fjQ6

Yeah, it's a former manufacturing facility so lots of height. Looks like clear height varies from 6m to 11m. Don't know where they had it inside.
https://www.commerciallistings.cbre.ca/e...iew=isSale
(02-25-2021, 05:34 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(02-25-2021, 04:01 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: The transit hub isn't even big enough to house this?

https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-...pture.html

How big is the sculpture? The article didn't say.

The article says that it's almost 13 metres high which is actually quite large as the average residential floor height is 10-14 feet (3-4 metres) which means its about 3-4 floors high and the transit hub is only 2 floors even if the floors are large you would still need floors that are more then 6 metres high.

"The sculpture looms almost 13 metres (42 feet) tall and is about 6.4 metres (21 feet) in diameter."
(02-25-2021, 08:07 PM)ZEBuilder Wrote:
(02-25-2021, 05:34 PM)tomh009 Wrote: How big is the sculpture? The article didn't say.

The article says that it's almost 13 metres high which is actually quite large as the average residential floor height is 10-14 feet (3-4 metres) which means its about 3-4 floors high and the transit hub is only 2 floors even if the floors are large you would still need floors that are more then 6 metres high.

"The sculpture looms almost 13 metres (42 feet) tall and is about 6.4 metres (21 feet) in diameter."

Also at over 6m in diameter, it takes up a substantial area. There may or may not be a good place for it; no matter what gets built the station won’t be Union Station big, just big for KW.

I liked the idea of putting it in the centre of a roundabout, although the question about its suitability for an outdoor location is relevant.
(02-25-2021, 08:27 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(02-25-2021, 08:07 PM)ZEBuilder Wrote: The article says that it's almost 13 metres high which is actually quite large as the average residential floor height is 10-14 feet (3-4 metres) which means its about 3-4 floors high and the transit hub is only 2 floors even if the floors are large you would still need floors that are more then 6 metres high.

Also at over 6m in diameter, it takes up a substantial area. There may or may not be a good place for it; no matter what gets built the station won’t be Union Station big, just big for KW.

I liked the idea of putting it in the centre of a roundabout, although the question about its suitability for an outdoor location is relevant.

I mean, it could also have gone in the planned plaza.
(02-25-2021, 09:54 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(02-25-2021, 08:27 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Also at over 6m in diameter, it takes up a substantial area. There may or may not be a good place for it; no matter what gets built the station won’t be Union Station big, just big for KW.

I mean, it could also have gone in the planned plaza.

The article said they had a concern about its durability outdoors, and whether people would climb it (liability concerns). It sounded like they really wanted to make it work but could not.

(02-25-2021, 10:48 PM)tomh009 Wrote: The article said they had a concern about its durability outdoors, and whether people would climb it (liability concerns). It sounded like they really wanted to make it work but could not.

The liability concerns one is irritating. To be clear, I assume Regional staff know what they are doing when they make that assessment; but in a sensible liability regime, putting the statue on a 1m plinth with unobtrusive signs at the bottom saying “no climbing” should be enough to absolutely eliminate any liability. The current liability regime is not good at requiring people to take responsibility for themselves.
(02-26-2021, 09:05 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(02-25-2021, 10:48 PM)tomh009 Wrote: The article said they had a concern about its durability outdoors, and whether people would climb it (liability concerns). It sounded like they really wanted to make it work but could not.

The liability concerns one is irritating. To be clear, I assume Regional staff know what they are doing when they make that assessment; but in a sensible liability regime, putting the statue on a 1m plinth with unobtrusive signs at the bottom saying “no climbing” should be enough to absolutely eliminate any liability. The current liability regime is not good at requiring people to take responsibility for themselves.

To be clear, the current liability regime neither forces social responsibility nor individual responsibility. It exclusively normalizes the harm in society right now and enforces it as the norm and protects against change. I.e., A city employee can run you over with their car when installing the statue, because that's normalized, but putting up a new statue is a risk, because something MIGHT happen, that is different from before.
"All dressed up with no place to go"....Sounds like we have a surplus of Public Art.... such as the "Mirrors of Babel" and the Prime Minister Statues...sounds like the discussion should be moved to....General Arts and Culture News?
not sure if anyone saw this virtual presentation... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7U30AU8UBo
(04-28-2021, 09:49 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: not sure if anyone saw this virtual presentation...    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7U30AU8UBo

I noticed in one of the shots, there appears to be a pathway across the King St bridge.  Will this be a connection to s/b iON?  I just assumed when it was banished as being a train platform that it would mean it couldn't be a pedestrian corridor either.

Additionally, while I like the look of the building, there is way too much open space with nothing in it.  Seems like such a waste to have no retail penciled in.

Coke
(04-28-2021, 10:59 AM)Coke6pk Wrote:
(04-28-2021, 09:49 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: not sure if anyone saw this virtual presentation...    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7U30AU8UBo

I noticed in one of the shots, there appears to be a pathway across the King St bridge.  Will this be a connection to s/b iON?  I just assumed when it was banished as being a train platform that it would mean it couldn't be a pedestrian corridor either.

Additionally, while I like the look of the building, there is way too much open space with nothing in it.  Seems like such a waste to have no retail penciled in.

Coke

Agreed. I think it would be extremely short-sighted of the Region to not at least rough in space and utilities for a cafe/convenience store kiosk in the main lobby area.

Since this is a few years off, I wonder if we could get enough people to write the city or somehow bring in a local group or local media to help illustrate the lack of retail. I can send some emails to the region about it. For a brand new "flagship" train station in the 10th largest (and fastest growing) region in the country is short sighted and I'd definitely like to see them change their minds before it's too late.
I expect that their rationale is based on a combination of existing retail inside 1 Victoria and Pharmacy, and future retail next door (and at Station Park).

I would also hate to build a whole lot of retail space and then have it sit empty because there aren't enough retail customers. Until we have 2WAD GO service, the station will not be much of a destination.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »