Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.85 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
(05-01-2021, 02:50 PM)ac3r Wrote:
(05-01-2021, 01:42 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: How do you get in? It's a wall along Stirling, everything else appears to be walking into the school yard.

I'm always a little wary of walking onto school property...maybe I shouldn't be, but it's not without cause, I was hassled rather....aggressively, when I was in University but returned to my old school to congratulate a favourite teacher on retirement.

Schools are public property and I believe you're free to go on them and use the facilities (playground, fields) so long as school isn't in. Most have signs that say no fireworks or dogs, but I've never seen one that says you can't be on them for any other reason. Kids and parents near me use the facilities outside of school hours all the time.
I was actually just walking through Kaufman Park and there aren't any signs indicating hours, no dogs, etc. but there is a sign at the entrance indicating the park and pool are run by the city.  I only take the dog there on evenings and weekends but I do sometimes use the tennis courts during school hours (many other do too) and it has never been an issue.  Would obviously give way if there was a class.  If you are feeling adventurous, you can also enter via the path/stairs/hill at the end of Church street.  The dog loves bombing down the hill.

(05-01-2021, 02:16 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(05-01-2021, 01:42 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: How do you get in? It's a wall along Stirling, everything else appears to be walking into the school yard.

Primarily from the school parking lot -- but there is also a small entrance at the end of that wall, close to where Stirling meets Courtland.
There is also access via the sidewalk off of Madison at Church St.
(05-01-2021, 05:58 PM)CedarHillAlum Wrote:
(05-01-2021, 02:16 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Primarily from the school parking lot -- but there is also a small entrance at the end of that wall, close to where Stirling meets Courtland.

Lol....I always wondered where those stairs went.
(05-01-2021, 05:58 PM)CedarHillAlum Wrote:
(05-01-2021, 02:16 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Primarily from the school parking lot -- but there is also a small entrance at the end of that wall, close to where Stirling meets Courtland.

Yes -- but the stairs end up in the parking lot, too! Unless you are feeling particularly adventurous and want to climb down (or up) the slope next to the stairs.
I noticed the other week that Wright Auto seems to have moved out of their building on Ottawa St.

Does anyone know if there will be any action here in the next little while or will it just be vacant? I thought I remembered hearing about some plans for this property as well as the BMO but it must have been a couple of years ago now at least.
(05-02-2021, 07:42 PM)DK519 Wrote: I noticed the other week that Wright Auto seems to have moved out of their building on Ottawa St.

Does anyone know if there will be any action here in the next little while or will it just be vacant? I thought I remembered hearing about some plans for this property as well as the BMO but it must have been a couple of years ago now at least.

I seem to vaguely remember talk of an Asian grocery store being built here. I don't think it was T&T, but a very similar type of store. That was quite a few years ago though.

Edit: Here's an article on it from 2015. The article also mentions a previous idea to redevelop the property to mixed use residental. https://outline.com/nvEGsk
I heard Jay Fencing is moving in for now...

(05-02-2021, 10:49 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: I heard Jay Fencing is moving in for now...

That would be uncomfortably close to the LRT, would it not?
(05-03-2021, 10:54 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(05-02-2021, 10:49 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: I heard Jay Fencing is moving in for now...

That would be uncomfortably close to the LRT, would it not?

Is this in addition to the Woodstock Head Office?

Coke
(05-02-2021, 07:42 PM)DK519 Wrote: I noticed the other week that Wright Auto seems to have moved out of their building on Ottawa St.

The owner retired, according to their website.
Six or seven for sale signs at Weber and Cedar today.

"1.324 acres. Land development opportunity."

(05-04-2021, 07:11 PM)DK519 Wrote: Six or seven for sale signs at Weber and Cedar today.

$14,000,000

103 WEBER Street E
Kitchener

Attached Files Image(s)

(05-04-2021, 08:06 PM)LesPio Wrote:
(05-04-2021, 07:11 PM)DK519 Wrote: Six or seven for sale signs at Weber and Cedar today.

$14,000,000

103 WEBER Street E
Kitchener

$14,000,000...yikes...

Any chance they get anywhere near that? Very interesting description. My first concern was for all the families that live there but it sounds like it's them that want to cash in...

$10M/acre is pretty high, but it's a good location and a decent-sized parcel. Development has clearly spread out to Weber, which makes me happy that downtown is not just the King St strip. Admittedly doing successful retail on Weber will be tougher.

The wonderfully named Kramp Apartment.  I’ll be sad to see it go - it is where my maternal grandparents first lived when they moved the family to Kitchener, circa 1926.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »