Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Cycling in Waterloo Region
Public entrances to the DTK / Charlie West / Drewlo tunnel system?

Coke

Today I had to bike to the Laser Eye Surgery Office from Midtown and I have to say... The network really is starting to feel like it is taking shape. There are gaps still for sure, but I could fairly easily tell my kids to bike that route and be confident they would be safe.

Definitely still lots of work to do, but hopefully adding the downtown network will just further highlight how great this region can become from a cycling standpoint. I will also say that I saw a lot of cyclists out. There was even queuing at crossings.
This downtown grid and all the other improvements is making me want to invest in a good bike now that I've been living in Waterloo Region rather than Toronto. I've always been reluctant to bother because I hate cycling on roads and never wanted to deal with an inevitable bike theft, but it might be worth repairing some vintage bike and use it to get around here. With the LRT being empty most of the time due to the pandemic, I would even take it on there without feeling like I'm obstructing everyone.
(05-05-2021, 08:55 AM)Coke6pk Wrote: Public entrances to the DTK / Charlie West / Drewlo tunnel system?

Coke

Goes from Google/Station Park to Kaufmann to City Hall to Charles West to Oracle to DTK and Drewlo and CHCI.

Only elitist bicyclists are allowed to use it.
(05-05-2021, 11:48 AM)ac3r Wrote: This downtown grid and all the other improvements is making me want to invest in a good bike now that I've been living in Waterloo Region rather than Toronto. I've always been reluctant to bother because I hate cycling on roads and never wanted to deal with an inevitable bike theft, but it might be worth repairing some vintage bike and use it to get around here. With the LRT being empty most of the time due to the pandemic, I would even take it on there without feeling like I'm obstructing everyone.

I'm looking to do the same but more in a starter bike. Does anyone have any recommendations where one could be found? The local bike shops don't seem to have much <$700.
(05-08-2021, 04:13 PM)Lens Wrote:
(05-05-2021, 11:48 AM)ac3r Wrote: This downtown grid and all the other improvements is making me want to invest in a good bike now that I've been living in Waterloo Region rather than Toronto. I've always been reluctant to bother because I hate cycling on roads and never wanted to deal with an inevitable bike theft, but it might be worth repairing some vintage bike and use it to get around here. With the LRT being empty most of the time due to the pandemic, I would even take it on there without feeling like I'm obstructing everyone.

I'm looking to do the same but more in a starter bike. Does anyone have any recommendations where one could be found? The local bike shops don't seem to have much <$700.

Getting a bicycle right now is a big challenge, but even before the pandemic induced bike shortage, most bike shop bikes would be starting around $500. You can get cheaper bikes at Walmart or Canadian tire, but I'd recommend against it. Even if you spend the money or have the skills to set them up properly (they are usually assembled by minimum wage staff who don't have a lot of experience or time to do it right), they have cheap components that won't last long.

I've always had good luck getting used bikes of kijiji. I try to ask the sellers their backstory to try to avoid stolen bikes. The UW and police bike auctions have also worked for some people.

That being said, these days, I have no idea if those sources are working or not.

Middle of last summer Black Arrow Cycles had a handful of options in the 500-700 range. I'm not sure if the availability situation is any worse this year, but worth checking there if you haven't.

(05-08-2021, 07:12 PM)dtkvictim Wrote:
(05-08-2021, 04:13 PM)Lens Wrote: I'm looking to do the same but more in a starter bike. Does anyone have any recommendations where one could be found? The local bike shops don't seem to have much <$700.

Middle of last summer Black Arrow Cycles had a handful of options in the 500-700 range. I'm not sure if the availability situation is any worse this year, but worth checking there if you haven't.

When I asked on Facebook, I was told that there is currently a bicycle shortage.

For used bikes, you might want to look at https://www.godutch.ca/ for used bikes from the Netherlands.
Joseph is now pretty dug up, almost the entire length except where there are driveways.

[Image: E5cyUxJ.jpg][Image: W8cGdVC.jpg]

Don't know what you are looking for, but a few weeks ago (I think) Waterloo Bike Shop had a lightly-used Marin Fairfax 2 available, I think under $500. Lots of things for sale locally on Kijiji, too, can't make any suggestions as I don't know what you are looking for. Smile
That's the sort of thing I'm looking for. I'd just like something light weight, suitable for road and the odd gravel city trail and not worth a whole lot so if it gets stolen I won't feel I've lost a fortune.

Tempted to go for something vintage if i can find it because I love the simplicity of them and the print schemes and logos. Would definitely modernize key parts on one and ditch the curvy road racing handles... can't stand those things. I stumbled upon this sub a few nights ago and got hooked: https://www.reddit.com/r/Vintage_bicycles
Normally I would recommend Recycle Cycles for used bicycles, but they have been closed for the year because of Covid. They had a lot of bicycles the last time I was there.
Cyclists, drivers divided over last summer’s temporary bike lanes in Waterloo

I have a good view and a daily walk past the Downtown Grid construction going on on Joseph so I thought I'd post a few photos.  It's very exciting, and moving pretty fast.

Today they put in some curbs.

As you can see, they are roll curbs, but they are still pretty high (of course, we'll see what the final asphalt level will be). I think this has to do with the limited width, but I'm not an engineer. Other curbs where the road is wider are being built as barrier curbs though.

Curb forming machines are cool, but umm....they're still pretty slow. I wonder how they compare with setting pre-formed curb stones. I am also surprised that they can form curbs of different profiles, given that some of the other curbs being built are formed by hand (and I do mean by hand, men with trowels were shaping the concrete against a single sided wooden form).

Here you can see the wider curbs, which are indeed barrier curbs. The sidewalk divergence is a bit of a shame but they've done a nice job merging it into the constraints that exist. Also, this is the curb that was hand formed...you can't even tell.
As a side note, this project will also result in a massive improvement to the pedestrian realm.  At victoria the turn radii of the curbs is reduced significantly, leading to shorter crossings in all directions, and  more space for peds to stand...to say nothing of reducing traffic and speeds of drivers.

Guakel (which is being closed of course) will see a continuous sidewalk. Sadly, the level still dips down to the level of the street, but the visual continuity still makes an enormous difference.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »