Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Cycling in Waterloo Region
The view from Auckland (I've never biked there but if it's like Wellington, worse than Waterloo):

https://twitter.com/ginnybraun/status/13...55584?s=19

This isn’t Waterloo Region but I didn’t see a general cycling board (sorry if I missed it):

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/the-fix...trail.html

Note that it’s required for safety that the big concrete block be on the other side of the barrier from the motor vehicles, but not required for safety that another barrier prevent cyclists from crashing or falling into the block, nor is it required that the path be moved over prior to installation of the block. It’s not even required to put it as close as possible to the barrier to minimize the amount of width taken away from the path.
(05-27-2021, 10:33 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: This isn’t Waterloo Region but I didn’t see a general cycling board (sorry if I missed it):

Note that it’s required for safety that the big concrete block be on the other side of the barrier from the motor vehicles, but not required for safety that another barrier prevent cyclists from crashing or falling into the block, nor is it required that the path be moved over prior to installation of the block. It’s not even required to put it as close as possible to the barrier to minimize the amount of width taken away from the path.

Heh...my mom sent me this this morning.

You're putting a lot of assumptions on the people who designed and installed the block. They'd have to a) know there is a trail, b) know it's used, c) care d) be paid to care. Fundamentally, I'm beginning to realize that the reason why we have such bad bike infra is because lots of people are employed to care about cars...and few to no people are employed to care about peds or bicycles.

I'm used to working in a flexible user focused environment, but most people don't work like that, they work in a place with OKRs and that is the ONLY focus. They don't get ahead by questioning OKRs...only by achieving them. It's not a government thing...
(05-27-2021, 02:38 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Heh...my mom sent me this this morning.

You're putting a lot of assumptions on the people who designed and installed the block. They'd have to a) know there is a trail, b) know it's used, c) care d) be paid to care. Fundamentally, I'm beginning to realize that the reason why we have such bad bike infra is because lots of people are employed to care about cars...and few to no people are employed to care about peds or bicycles.

I'm used to working in a flexible user focused environment, but most people don't work like that, they work in a place with OKRs and that is the ONLY focus. They don't get ahead by questioning OKRs...only by achieving them. It's not a government thing...

I actually thought of you when I read it and that’s why I posted it here Smile

I don’t know about the specific people who designed the new infrastructure; if it’s somebody’s job to design the block (how big, where the mounting bolts should go) it isn’t necessarily their job to investigate the environment. But it definitely is the job of the overall project team to be aware of the environment.

This isn’t that different from the Traynor fiasco, where I agree there are many people involved in the project who can’t reasonably be blamed, but overall the project and some of its leaders definitely did fail and should have done better.
(05-27-2021, 10:33 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: This isn’t Waterloo Region but I didn’t see a general cycling board (sorry if I missed it):

What an absurd situation. Imagine them plopping that down in the middle of a street.  Of course, now that it's pointed out, they'll probably just close the path and post a detour of several kilometers and "solve" the problem that way.
(05-28-2021, 07:30 AM)jamincan Wrote:

What an absurd situation. Imagine them plopping that down in the middle of a street.  Of course, now that it's pointed out, they'll probably just close the path and post a detour of several kilometers and "solve" the problem that way.

"Temporary" detour, oh, the long term "plan" is to fix it... where temporary is forever and plan is hypothetical.
It's not even placed next to the armco barrier, there is something like a half-metre gap in between.

(05-28-2021, 10:01 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(05-28-2021, 07:30 AM)jamincan Wrote: What an absurd situation. Imagine them plopping that down in the middle of a street.  Of course, now that it's pointed out, they'll probably just close the path and post a detour of several kilometers and "solve" the problem that way.

"Temporary" detour, oh, the long term "plan" is to fix it... where temporary is forever and plan is hypothetical.

Per the article, "...city staff continue to review the placement of the footings, including the nearby fence line, with an aim to make more space for trail users. This review work is ongoing."

Perhaps that 'review work' should have been done before half a pathway got cut off?
City Of Waterloo staff are coming back to council with the plan for Union St. Starts page 72:

https://events.waterloo.ca/meetings/Deta...2e00f55340

In my opinion, their response does not solve any of the issues that were raised in the original meeting. They failed to come back with a plan which extends protected bike lanes to King, preferring instead to extend painted bike lanes and even then, not actually reaching King in both directions.

Further, they continue to have the unnecessary and wasteful right turn lane (where are the fiscal conservatives?!), excessive turn radii, etc. etc.

I have written a letter. Because...Canadian.
Hello fellow cyclists - some absolutely irredeemable scum stole my road bike from my garage within the last week (as the name implies, Cherry Park neighbourhood). Scott Foil 10 frameset, Shimano 105 groupset, on Fulcrum Racing 3 wheels; certainly the only bike configured with that set of kit. In the off chance you happen to see it around town, would be much obliged for a tip. 

Also a reminder for anyone dumb like me to still put some kind of lock on your bikes in a garage and be sure you and your spouse keep the garage door closed when out. Sorry to interrupt the discussion.

That sucks! A bike that nice has probably been sold and moved on to another city now. Bike thieves often sell very high end bikes to people that take them elsewhere, where the police are less likely to ever find it. Hopefully you'll get lucky and can get it back.
(05-30-2021, 05:56 PM)ac3r Wrote: That sucks! A bike that nice has probably been sold and moved on to another city now. Bike thieves often sell very high end bikes to people that take them elsewhere, where the police are less likely to ever find it. Hopefully you'll get lucky and can get it back.

Thanks, though knowing my odds are pretty slim for that same reason. Expensive lesson learnt.
It's one reason I'm reluctant to invest in a good bike. In this city it seems like I'd eventually lose it...

(05-30-2021, 05:56 PM)ac3r Wrote: That sucks! A bike that nice has probably been sold and moved on to another city now. Bike thieves often sell very high end bikes to people that take them elsewhere, where the police are less likely to ever find it. Hopefully you'll get lucky and can get it back.

Thieves will actually follow people with high-end bikes to see where they live. Sad

@ac3r, I don't think a $1000-ish dollar bike will generate that level of interest from thieves yet. But always locking the bike is still the thing to do, unless you actually have it inside your apartment/house.
(05-30-2021, 12:31 PM)cherrypark Wrote: Hello fellow cyclists - some absolutely irredeemable scum stole my road bike from my garage within the last week (as the name implies, Cherry Park neighbourhood). Scott Foil 10 frameset, Shimano 105 groupset, on Formula Racing 3 wheels; certainly the only bike configured with that set of kit. In the off chance you happen to see it around town, would be much obliged for a tip.
I had a bike stolen from a shed a few years ago in broad daylight with the 2 thieves caught on my security cam. I provided the serial number and the video to the WPS and a couple of days later was able to get the actual names of the scumbags from somebody who knew them which I also called in to the police. I never heard back from the cops. The WPS is useless.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »