Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(07-20-2021, 08:15 AM)jamincan Wrote:
(07-19-2021, 07:33 PM)ac3r Wrote: I have a masters degree in architecture/planning and this is seriously one of the weirdest things I've ever seen and it's obviously problematic.
We have architects, planners, and engineers to thank for the horrendously pedestrian-unfriendly cities we currently find ourselves in, and this exact intersection. Within that context, this is an incredibly unpersuasive appeal to authority.

---

I think with this particular intersection, it's useful to compare it to Caroline & Erb as both have unprotected slip lanes.

King -> Victoria:
- light use with LRT
- slow
- pedestrian island very small and unclear due to unfortunate similarities between crosswalk marks and the textured indicators at the edge of the island, it's not readily apparent whether pedestrians should wait on the "island"
- risk is relatively low: professional operators of LRT vehicles, and slow speed in a position where pedestrians are expected; pedestrians on the other hand might be less attentive to the presence of the LRT

Caroline -> Erb:
- cars only
- heavy use by cars
- fast, commonly disregard the pedestrian crossing
- pedestrian island large and clear
- risk is high: inattentive drivers, little requirement to stop due to nature of intersection, except pedestrians; pedestrians on the other hand are more likely to be highly attentive due to risk

It would seem to me, that both intersections would warrant improvements and that Caroline to Erb is a much higher priority due to the risk involved. At the same time, it's hard to understand why they couldn't just move the beg buttons to other side of the tracks and delay the walk signal until the LRT has passed. As low as the risk is, if you roll the dice enough times, eventually you roll snake eyes.

I'm not sure in pure square footage if the Caroline island is any larger. What is clear though, is that it is massively undersized, both in its ability to *BE* larger (there is tons of wasted road space) and in its NEED to be larger (there are big crowds of people using it). But it helps that it is clearly defined by asphalt instead of the the concrete LRT tracks.

As for moving the buttons, that could have been done when it was built, but can no longer be done easily, there are no poles on the others side to put either the button or the pedestrian signal. I suspect it would require significant work to run wiring under the tracks to get to the other side. But also, these aren't beg buttons, they're just accessibility buttons. If the correct sensors are present in the track (which I don't know that they are) the lights could just be programmed not to come on when the train is passing. Of course, this would be very frustrating to pedestrians who are on the island and would now be crossing illegally. In terms of easy improvements, the LRT right of way could be painted, I know Aus has used yellow hashmarks on theirs. But I'm not totally convinced that someone who doesn't notice the tracks would notice yellow markings.

Pretty much anything you do is going to be a trade off unless we are willing to do expensive reworking of curbs. But I agree, it is not the top of the priority list. For me, it is very very low down the list. I'm not exaggerating when I say there are probably five hundred intersections I'd fix before this one.

Sigh... what should have been.

Metrolinx Blog | The Eglinton Crosstown LRT is going green
(08-04-2021, 09:14 AM)KevinT Wrote: Sigh... what should have been.

I mean, I really do like this, but I was unsure of some details, some have been partially answered here.

1. Irrigation: They say there will be an irrigation system in place, will it be using collected rainwater? It doesn't sound like it. Irrigating grass with more valuable drinking water is not ideal.

2. Maintenance:  Will the grass need to be cut?

I'm no botanist, so there may not be real options with these restrictions, but a short growing (so no need for cutting) drought resistant (so no need for watering) preferably native plant would be much better IMO.

Of course, our society worships grass, so it's hardly surprising to see grass used.
(08-04-2021, 09:20 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: I'm no botanist, so there may not be real options with these restrictions, but a short growing (so no need for cutting) drought resistant (so no need for watering) preferably native plant would be much better IMO.

Of course, our society worships grass, so it's hardly surprising to see grass used.

Seems like this would be a good opportunity for a xeriscape ground cover. It ought to be possible to eliminate both the mowing and the irrigation requirements. But as you say, I’m not a botanical expert and haven’t studied the question properly. The problem is that based on past behaviour I don’t trust Metrolinx to have studied the question properly either.
Grass has massive advantages in its availability and familiarity to those maintaining it. Any other plant choice is looking at both availability and expertise issues, which will affect cost. That said, if it can be offset by less maintenance, it could work out.

I'd prefer a native planting over grass, certainly, but I also prefer grass over bare concrete.
There are plenty of other plants, like sedum, for example, that are short and do not require mowing or watering (in our climate) making them less labour-intensive than grass.
(08-04-2021, 11:06 AM)KevinL Wrote: Grass has massive advantages in its availability and familiarity to those maintaining it. Any other plant choice is looking at both availability and expertise issues, which will affect cost. That said, if it can be offset by less maintenance, it could work out.

I'd prefer a native planting over grass, certainly, but I also prefer grass over bare concrete.

I mean, if they're installing a mechanical irrigation system and are going to require regular maintenance, than pretty much any set it and forget it plant is going to beat it on price, no matter how expensive it is to put in at the beginning. I think the fact that your point probably carries weight with metrolinx just shows how absolutely terrified of risk all our large organizations are.

But I fully agree with the final sentiment.

(08-04-2021, 09:14 AM)KevinT Wrote: Sigh... what should have been.

Really does seem like a missed opportunity here.

I know enough to know who to blame, though. Lots of short sighted individuals and lots of 'but we can't do that because of this, and that...., but it was a nice idea, keep up the good work...'
I don't know how long it's been in service but when I got off the lrt I realized I was riding 515.
It seems like Grand River Transit will be releasing some video footage of near miss incidents involving the LRT as part of its rail safety week program this week, running from September 20th to September 26th. You can find the videos over on their YouTube channel.

The first video involves an individual at Victoria Park Station running across the street to pick up their lost phone:

Luckily the LRVs brake pretty good, because that person could have got severely injured if they were hit.
(09-20-2021, 10:20 AM)ac3r Wrote: It seems like Grand River Transit will be releasing some video footage of near miss incidents involving the LRT as part of its rail safety week program this week, running from September 20th to September 26th. You can find the videos over on their YouTube channel.

The first video involves an individual at Victoria Park Station running across the street to pick up their lost phone:

Luckily the LRVs brake pretty good, because that person could have got severely injured if they were hit.

:FACEPALM:
The second video is out, lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s1TDxzC...verTransit

Looks like the car BEHIND this driver is also running the light.

And yeah, this is bad, this driver could have been seriously hurt, but they could also have run over a pedestrian at the ped crossing. That too is an everyday occurrence.
Day 3 video..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unLzDp-33OU

This time a cyclist not looking.

Now people are going to start thinking of daredevil things that they can do around the ION in hopes of getting on their YouTube channel.
Quote:As for asking for proof on whether city hall workers take the bus. I bet you 2000 dollars I'm right.

From reddit.

Anybody know any City or Regional Staff that take public transit to work? I'll buy pizzas for everybody with the $2,000. ;-)
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »