Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Vertikal (471-481 King St E) | 23 & 19 fl | U/C
(04-07-2020, 11:15 AM)DK519 Wrote:
(04-07-2020, 10:43 AM)tomh009 Wrote: They have a full permit (otherwise they wouldn't have got this far) so they are allowed to continue. It must be a company decision, then, to stop work during the pandemic.

Have all of Drewlo's sites shut down?

I thought someone earlier had mentioned this one was a lower priority and they were taking their time with it until other ones were wrapped up and they had more manpower.

Do they have other sites on the go?  Not in WR as far as I know?

From the Drewlo web site:
Quote:Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Drewlo Holdings has decided to shut down all non-essential operations. This decision was not made lightly, however as a responsible corporate citizen we must do the right thing and assist in helping flatten the curve. We feel this is the best decision to protect the health and safety of our staff, residents, and community. If you have questions or concerns, email comments@drewloholdings.com
(04-08-2020, 11:26 AM)Spokes Wrote:
(04-07-2020, 11:15 AM)DK519 Wrote: Have all of Drewlo's sites shut down?

I thought someone earlier had mentioned this one was a lower priority and they were taking their time with it until other ones were wrapped up and they had more manpower.

Do they have other sites on the go?  Not in WR as far as I know?
Is the development at Block Line or Fallowfield Drewlo?
(04-08-2020, 03:25 PM)Square Wrote:
(04-08-2020, 11:26 AM)Spokes Wrote: Do they have other sites on the go?  Not in WR as far as I know?
Is the development at Block Line or Fallowfield Drewlo?
No it's a north view apartment REIT development the four up on the hill on fallowfield are drewlo buildings
(04-08-2020, 04:03 PM)ZEBuilder Wrote:
(04-08-2020, 03:25 PM)Square Wrote: Is the development at Block Line or Fallowfield Drewlo?
No it's a north view apartment REIT development the four up on the hill on fallowfield are drewlo buildings
Thank you, for some reason I thought they were still building towers 3 and 4.  Saw on google maps they are all done.
(04-08-2020, 02:29 PM)tomh009 Wrote: From the Drewlo web site:
Quote:Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Drewlo Holdings has decided to shut down all non-essential operations. This decision was not made lightly, however as a responsible corporate citizen we must do the right thing and assist in helping flatten the curve. We feel this is the best decision to protect the health and safety of our staff, residents, and community. If you have questions or concerns, email comments@drewloholdings.com

They may have ugly buildings, but this is a good decision on their part. I somewhat doubt any other builders will do the same...they have far too much money invested in getting places like Garment Street, Charlie West, Duke Tower etc complete. But for the sake of workers, they really should.
(04-09-2020, 04:30 PM)ac3r Wrote: They may have ugly buildings, but this is a good decision on their part. I somewhat doubt any other builders will do the same...they have far too much money invested in getting places like Garment Street, Charlie West, Duke Tower etc complete. But for the sake of workers, they really should.
I agree. As much as I like to see work continue on projects like this,  this is the right thing to do. No sense in putting people's lives at risk over a building.

I get the justification to allow job sites to continue, but I don't agree with it.
No activity here for now, but I took some photos anyway.

Looked like they had the mobile crane doing something today.
There's a story in The Record about the environmental cleanup getting approved for tax increment financing. It includes a render that I don't remember seeing before.

https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-...grant.html
Did construction restart this week?
Not yet. There are a few people on site but no significant activity yet.

Interesting. I wonder if there are many construction companies that are allowed to work but are choosing not to?
There's probably a lot of workers that are choosing to stay home and stay safe. There's not really any way to do construction and social-distance at the same time. The lunch trailer is the perfect place to sit and breath on each other for a while every day too.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »