Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
The Scott (59-65 Weber E) | 11 fl | Complete
Well ... tile-ish, maybe. The walls look like tile, but I do think they are some kind of modular walls. Maybe it's really just concrete that's shaped like tile, I can't see it close enough.

(05-12-2020, 11:28 AM)tomh009 Wrote: The tile is being painted ... I was rather surprised by this.

I'm surprised too, I had just assumed they'd cancelled the yellow sections from the render (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/...6#pid72406).
(05-12-2020, 12:09 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(05-12-2020, 11:28 AM)tomh009 Wrote: The tile is being painted ... I was rather surprised by this.

I'm surprised too, I had just assumed they'd cancelled the yellow sections from the render (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/...6#pid72406).

I'm pleasantly surprised too, was expecting another render bait and switch like Circa 1877. I'm a little worried about how this will look with the whole side facing Weber being yellow (and painted fake tile/brick at that rather than a natural yellow brick finish), but hopefully it will look okay.

In the case of Circa 1877, I'm still holding on hope that they will eventually paint it as well. I think the black of the rendering would look much better than the current big grey slab of unfinished concrete looming over King and Allen.
They did the same with the precast construction of the condos beside Sunrise Center
(05-12-2020, 05:10 PM)midriser Wrote:
(05-12-2020, 12:09 PM)taylortbb Wrote: I'm surprised too, I had just assumed they'd cancelled the yellow sections from the render (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/...6#pid72406).

I'm pleasantly surprised too, was expecting another render bait and switch like Circa 1877. I'm a little worried about how this will look with the whole side facing Weber being yellow (and painted fake tile/brick at that rather than a natural yellow brick finish), but hopefully it will look okay.

In the case of Circa 1877, I'm still holding on hope that they will eventually paint it as well. I think the black of the rendering would look much better than the current big grey slab of unfinished concrete looming over King and Allen.

The still haven't finished the exterior of Circa 1877?  Was construction on hold?
(05-12-2020, 07:02 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(05-12-2020, 05:10 PM)midriser Wrote: I'm pleasantly surprised too, was expecting another render bait and switch like Circa 1877. I'm a little worried about how this will look with the whole side facing Weber being yellow (and painted fake tile/brick at that rather than a natural yellow brick finish), but hopefully it will look okay.

The still haven't finished the exterior of Circa 1877?  Was construction on hold?
Render bait and switch is a bit harsh.......I just saw Circa from a distance and it looked like some coatings were getting started.  Temperatures need to be constantly above freezing for this to happen......we just got a snowstorm on Monday
Yes, it'll be yellow. And the colour looks better than I expected.

Interesting.
I like it. Has a Bauer Loft feel to it.

Pleasantly surprised about ground floor commercial. Would be nice to see retail spreading to this part of Weber.
I'm quite happy with how the yellow paint has worked out.

Incidentally, I noticed that 100 Victoria used similar tile-looking precast elements for at least one of the exterior walls.

I'm surprised how tall the court house is in your first photo. Is the court house taller then 11 stories, or is it because it's on the hill?
(05-24-2020, 11:02 PM)Square Wrote: I'm surprised how tall the court house is in your first photo.  Is the court house taller then 11 stories, or is it because it's on the hill?

Hill plus more height to each of its storeys, no?  Isn't it 7 or 8 storeys in total?
It's about 7 storeys on the Frederick side, about 9 on Scott. But as its floors contain spacious courtrooms with high ceilings, those are taller storeys than most buildings.

This is the view from the top of the hill. The courthouse is indeed a large building.

Thank you for the replies and info! Boy, this has changed since I moved to this area back in 1978!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »