Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(08-19-2016, 07:59 PM)Bureaucromancer Wrote: The point is that the Transport Canada standards are nonsensical, actively harmful and need to change.

You should probably write to them and let them know that.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/contact-us.htm

Let us know how that goes.

(08-19-2016, 10:00 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: King between Willis and William today, conduit work being cemented in:

That's really excellent - that means curbs, trackwork and paving are next - home stretch!

Wow! If the curbs and tracks are next, could this section of King be open to traffic sooner than late-November?
Signal testing was happening this morning on the Waterloo Spur at R+T Park. Crews are wiring up the TPSS' at Columbia and Bearanger.

(08-19-2016, 07:50 PM)Canard Wrote: Also from the update: sounds like the crossover installation at Cameron Heights will start soon! Haven't been by since Monday so perhaps they've already begun.

Nothing new there as of this morning.
1/6 - Saturday, August 20, 2016

Frederick, between Duke and Charles.

Duke at Queen.

Duke, looking North.

Duke, looking North.

King/Francis.
2/6 - Saturday, August 20, 2016

King/Francis.

King/Francis.

King/Francis.

King, between Victoria and Francis.

The future Queen platform. Note all the conduits - these will be buried in concrete, and are what all sorts of cables and wires will pass through, up onto the platform.
3/6 - Saturday, August 20, 2016

Charles, between Ottawa and Borden. Track now here!

Ottawa is about half paved, between Charles and Courtland!

Ottawa, between Charles and Courtland.

Ottawa, between Charles and Courtland.

Here's where the track curves off of Borden, up onto the existing railway Right of Way (Huron Spur). Trackwork is scheduled to begin here next week.

4/6 - Saturday, August 20, 2016

Signal storage!

Future Allen station.

Anchor Wall at Willis Way.

Anchor Wall at Willis Way.

Detail of the hardware setup for the Anchor Wall at Willis Way.
5/6 - Saturday, August 20, 2016

Pulling rails in front of the Perimeter Institute.

The guys I talked to here mentioned they were cleaning up all the excess materials, so the fence crews could come through next.

Gauntlet Track at University of Waterloo.

Looking South along the line, from University of Waterloo.

Signal testing in progress at R+T Park station. Bells goin' and everything.
6/6 - Saturday, August 20, 2016

Kind of a rotten photo, but several of the Traction Power Substations now have black poles surrounding them - the one at Bearanger is the first I've seen with paneling going up now around it.

Erb/Caroline.

Erb/Caroline.

Work beginning for the future Waterloo Town Centre station.

King Street.  Slightly moist.

That's it for today, folks - beautiful day out there, enjoy it!
Saw crews this morning pulling tracks down Caroline
Awesome photos, Iain. Too busy the last few days to post mine, but I think you covered those areas better than I would have, anyway!
(08-19-2016, 07:50 PM)Canard Wrote: Also from the update: sounds like the crossover installation at Cameron Heights will start soon! Haven't been by since Monday so perhaps they've already begun.

Not started as of this morning, at least.  Photos will be posted once it does start!

Duke / Francis is open! Well... sort of. The "Road Closed" sign is pushed to the side now, and the lights are on, so if you wanted to drive it, you totally could. Lights have been activated at King / Francis too, but the road is still blocked.

Edit: I lied. They literally opened it as I drive past right now. Another intersection down for the grandlinq team!
Hopefully that will ease some of the traffic on Water during rush hour.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »