Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(09-13-2016, 05:32 AM)Canard Wrote: It does, as a primary system (or something like that - wireless). Redundant loops are required for safety, and require wiring and an additional control cabinet.

Thank you.

Sign on Erb says:
"Erb St. will be reverted to ONE-WAY on/or abour Sept. 20"

So either they are planning on making some serious progress in the next week for Caroline and Erb to re-open on the 20th, or they just want to break people of the temporary habit before it re-opens for real.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(09-13-2016, 01:31 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Sign on Erb says:
"Erb St. will be reverted to ONE-WAY on/or abour Sept. 20"

So either they are planning on making some serious progress in the next week for Caroline and Erb to re-open on the 20th, or they just want to break people of the temporary habit before it re-opens for real.

it really should've stayed as two way... at least as a pilot project
Update on the King/Frederick gas main situation: They have lines running to the surface and a burner is flaming off excess. All looks under control.
That's going to be amazing if Erb/Caroline is that close to reopening. The curbs were in for the entire intersection (I think) when I went by the other night.
(09-13-2016, 10:06 AM)Canard Wrote:
(09-13-2016, 08:16 AM)timio Wrote: I wouldn't be surprised if the guy was pulling your leg.  Go back and ask someone else

I spoke with the OnTrack Safety guy stationed in a truck before the "ROAD CLOSED" sign. It was very much a serious response and very much a canned "This is what I'm supposed to say so I don't get in trouble" kind of thing. Once he realized I knew more about what they were actually doing than he did, he just said as much ("I'm really not sure exactly what they're doing. Something with the tracks at the crossing, I guess.").

If it was OTS, then the reason he couldn't tell you is that he actually doesn't know. Those guys provide construction road signs and flagging people....they are also probably the pedestrian ambassadors (if that is the term that was mentioned earlier).
With the appearance of the speed limit signs along the track would it possible to calculate travel times between stations since the distance and velocity would be known?

Distance and velocity yes, acceleration no. I mean, we know what the max. accel is of our particular LRV, but you don't know exactly how the operator is going to push the stick.

That being said, yes, some maths could be performed here. Smile Or we could just look at the Baseline Service Schedule which I think already has all this info.
The baseline service schedule only has suggested departure times from Conestoga and arrival times at Fairview (nothing in between):
http://www.rapidtransit.regionofwaterloo...pdf#page=6
(09-13-2016, 08:18 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: King and Victoria saw a good deal of late night work last night. Flashes from welding were splashing across the King St faces of 1Vic and Kaufman until at least midnight. It's looking ready for a NB track embed soon.

Yeah, I walked by to get a coffee around noon and they were at least half way done pouring concrete for the NB track and I suspect they're now done. I didn't see what the other direction looked like, but here's hoping paving and reopening the intersection isn't too far off!
The NB track across Victoria is fully embedded. With all the rails laying on King between Francis and Victoria, I wonder when an opening would occur, as in addition to the obvious track embedding and paving, the large stock of rails will need to move to the North side of Victoria beforehand.
Where are you guys finding best access to take photos and get these updates?

I sometimes pop up along King next to the Kaufman lofts, or go into the lot at Google at Charles/Victoria, but I'd love to get closer if there's a "legal" area to do so.
I've found the end of the sidewalk on King St next to Kaufman to have the best view.
It also has the least in terms of barriers, so determining where the construction zone begins is an exercise left to the reader.

This morning, there were crews working right at the end of that access point, so I didn't want to bother them, but I took some other photos from the 'sidewalk' around 1 Victoria, and from the far side of Kaufman on Victoria St.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Tracks run through King/Victoria <a href="https://t.co/FN5rTZM55Y">pic.twitter.com/FN5rTZM55Y</a></p>&mdash; Mark Jackson-Brown (@Markster3000) <a href="https://twitter.com/Markster3000/status/776063717976969216">September 14, 2016</a></blockquote>

This is all ground level, of course, which isn't really the best.

Kitchener Glass just finished installing all the canopy roof sections at the Laurier/Waterloo Park station. They were loading their SkyJack units back onto trucks to take them away.
The willis stop has most of the anchor wall boxed in with plywood, I suspect to protect it until closer to when needed.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »