Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(10-02-2015, 11:58 AM)Canard Wrote: A lot of people seem really confused on facebook about how fare control will work, so I'll post this link here as well, for those not familiar with how Proof-of-Payment works: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proof-of-payment

It means you choose to pay or not pay commensurate with your risk profile.

I actually was for some reason under the impression that access to the platform would be restricted, so thank you for the knowledge that we'll be using Proof-of-Payment.

(10-02-2015, 11:58 AM)Canard Wrote: A lot of people seem really confused on facebook about how fare control will work, so I'll post this link here as well, for those not familiar with how Proof-of-Payment works:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proof-of-payment

Oh, so it is more resemblant of a train rather than a streetcar?
Apparently there are tracks down on Borden street now!
Caroline St. was open in both directions today between William and Willis Way.
Looks like the first embedded track had its concrete poured today, according to https://www.facebook.com/rideION/photos/...59/?type=3 .

[Image: I1n8aAp.jpg]
To me this looks like a test pour....
According to the Regional Community Services Committee (see page 38 of the agenda) public art will be installed at these stations: Conestoga, Research & Technology, Grand River Hospital, Kitchener Market, Mill, Block Line, and Fairway.

Interesting to think on what potential each area has for an installation.

(10-02-2015, 09:58 PM)BuildingScout Wrote: To me this looks like a test pour....

it was poured where the trucks pulled in/out of the former maple leaf.  They probably need access to it, but with the other tracks sitting there it might be a bit.
They will pour it in small sections like this. You can see the "dams" for the concrete for the next sections in the image.
Progress on Borden Ave.:

Borden trackwork, continued:

Standing on Seagram, looking North toward the University of Waterloo:

Kitchener Market station is also progressing well:

[Image: 20151003_101853.jpg]
More substation news : http://www.kitchenerpost.ca/news-story/5...-location/

Quote:“Waterloo Street with a substation on it is an unsafe condition that together with any unsafe act will be a threat to the life and limb of those who pass by,” Bryan Smith said in a delegation to council last month.

What??

NIMBYism at it's finest.  Here we go...

Where can we see details of this new location? Google tells me it's about 250 m from the ROW - I've never seen a traction power substation that far from a guideway before, that I can recall.
Where exactly is the substation going? On the street? It makes reference to the "single proposed sidewalk" on Waterloo, so is it going where one sidewalk is now?

I think the objection could have been made more clear; I'm not understanding what the issues are.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »