Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
...Translohr?

Heck, we've got a picture of Caen's guided bus instead of Light Rail on the giant Future Transit Hub Site sign. Makes me cringe every time!

(to clarify, I don't actually hate Translohr)

Cost of gas pipeline replacement/conflicts/upgrades for Ottawa @ Mill, Courtland @ Hydro One, Siebert @ Courtland, and Wilson @ Hydro One are now known:
Total = $2,299,958.00 ($1,416,014.21 (City), $883,943.79 (Region))

LRT Budget Update – Gas Pipeline Replacement Costs

"That the LRT Construction capital budget be increased by $2,299,958 ($1,416,014 City, $883,944 Region)."
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

A 1.5m fence that wouldn't be an eyesore
(05-01-2016, 07:27 PM)Canard Wrote: Also, it's not exactly clear to me what these "Station area planing" consultations are supposed to result in - what is the end hope here?  Development is already happening on its own along the line.  Is this something different from the CTS (I think that was the acronym) group that had an office in Kitchener City Hall a few years ago?

The Region commissioned the Community Building Strategy, which is a high-level planning vision for land-use and other changes along the corridor. The cities of Kitchener and Waterloo are both working on detailed station area plans. These are meant to guide development better - possibly including zoning changes, but also outlining the kinds of things (new street connections, types of developments and amenities) the city would like to see in a given area. Developers generally are responsive to this kind of thing - even if it's not (yet) reflected in zoning changes - because the city can offer them concessions in exchange for helping the city achieve its plan.
Planning Around Rapid Transit Stations (PARTS) is a City of Kitchener project led by the planning division. The primary purpose of the PARTS project is to provide direction for future development and stability within station study areas along with recommendations for capital projects to ensure that these areas are developed in a way that is transit supportive and adds value to our community.

http://www.kitchener.ca/en/livinginkitch...ransit.asp

The Central Stations Area (downtown) study has already been finalized and is being presented to the committee today.

http://www.kitchener.ca/en/livinginkitch...a-Plan.asp
(05-01-2016, 08:08 PM)Coke6pk Wrote: Speaking of gripes... why do we have a bus on the LRT route? Wink

[Image: Spur_Line_Stop_Design_Eye_View.JPG]

I thought this sort of thing was weird the first time I saw it in Seattle's underground train/bus station. But it also happens all the time in Zurich that trams and trolleybuses share the same station.
I think the actual answer is that the Architecture firm that did the renderings just drew a box with some headlights and said "good enough". They don't know how to details of moving things at all.

With respect to Ottawa, the "use" they got out of their BRT system was because of delays and cost, not "value." The system opened in the mid-80s. A decade later, they were already talking about the need to replace it with LRT. It will have taken almost a quarter century to go from knowing they needed to upgrade, to getting the upgrade. LRT would have been delayed at least in part because "we haven't finished paying for BRT yet." Some of the big consequences are akin to a more stifling version of what Toronto sees with respect to talk of a Downtown Relief Line. Because of how choked the core segments of the system became, both in terms of buses packed full of people and packing the busways full, as well as the delays in the mixed-use portion that saw daily bus chains going for blocks, ridership was stalled, limited, as the city grew and grew.

I lived in Orleans, and around the mid-90s, you'd see half a dozen people at every local-spacing stop for the express collector buses which came every 15 minutes for ~3h peak morning and evening periods, to go with 30 minute service local route to take you to the BRT system. Today, the only route within a 15 minute walk has four buses a day. A day. This, just a few kilometers from two different BRT stations. Had Ottawa been smart, they wouldn't have seen various parts of their system deteriorate, ridership patterns fall off a cliff in ways essential to avoiding car-based consequences. London, of all cities, shouldn't seek to copy a pattern that was very much a negative impact on Ottawa's urban (and largely suburban) form.
(05-02-2016, 06:08 AM)Canard Wrote: I think the actual answer is that the Architecture firm that did the renderings just drew a box with some headlights and said "good enough". They don't know how to details of moving things at all.

It's actually not bad.
What does this quote from the ION Update mean? "•Work to install the Victoria Park LRT stop will begin in May" I thought the stop is already poured, or are they going to start the anchor wall and other parts?
The Northfield platform is being poured today.
(05-02-2016, 02:22 PM)Square Wrote: What does this quote from the ION Update mean?  "•Work to install the Victoria Park  LRT stop will begin in May"   I thought the stop is already poured, or are they going to start the anchor wall and other parts?

I imagine things like the approach ramps at either end, the platform surface, etc; though it may be actual staton fittings like the anchor wall, shelters, etc as well.
Would be surprising, but then again, it WAS the first station to be poured. It's also possible it was a typo. Those Ion updaters do a lot of copy-pasting, sometimes have incorrect remnants from other updates in them.

(05-02-2016, 04:11 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Would be surprising, but then again, it WAS the first station to be poured. It's also possible it was a typo. Those Ion updaters do a lot of copy-pasting, sometimes have incorrect remnants from other updates in them.

Thank you for the replies.  Ya, I was thinking maybe they meant Queen St stop?
(04-20-2016, 10:16 PM)timio Wrote: So, for the fun of it, a list of intersections / streets where work is still to begin:

Victoria: King to Charles
Frederick: Duke to Charles
Ottawa: Courtland to Mill
Erb/Caroline (closes May 16)

Did I miss anything?

Down to Victoria, Frederick, and the western part of Ottawa (Mill to Courtland)

Any bets on when they'll start the final two downtown stretches? After Water and Queen intersections are open? According to rideion.ca, they should be open in the next month.

*Removed sections underway
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »