Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
45 Duke St W | 19 fl | Proposed
(09-23-2019, 09:17 PM)jamincan Wrote: Skyline-wise, the change might not be as noticeable. At street-level, Uptown Waterloo, Midtown and DTK are basically unrecognizable.

King St streetwall near Victoria has changed radically (Pharmacy, 1 Victoria, (upcoming) 345 King, LCBO). Closer to Queen, not as much: Charlie West is a block away (as is City Centre), but Gaukel greenway, 165 King St W reno, Young Condos and Mayfair will make a big impact. Further east, the change in streetscape will be more radical again, with Market Flats, (hopefully) 387-397 King St E and (definitely) Drewlo.

(09-18-2019, 05:33 PM)KevinL Wrote: Jack's has closed recently, I know that.
Jacks Burger and Pub was still opened yesterday.
Highrise development on track on Duke Street West in downtown Kitchener
Thumbs Up 
(01-19-2021, 07:55 PM)Acitta Wrote: Highrise development on track on Duke Street West in downtown Kitchener

137 units -- with 63 parking spaces and 45 bicycle parking spaces!
21 floors now.

Wondering if there will be any heritage issues with trying to save the house.
(01-19-2021, 11:21 PM)jeffster Wrote: 21 floors now.

Wondering if there will be any heritage issues with trying to save the house.
Article mentioned no concerns issued to the heritage staff. Not sure how anyone could make the argument that the house is historically significant to the region.
I'm not aware of any heritage issues relating to that former house.

Yeah looks like half of the people won't have access to parking spot, although they can probably rent it from the museum nearby.
(01-20-2021, 10:11 AM)catarctica Wrote: Yeah looks like half of the people won't have access to parking spot, although they can probably rent it from the museum nearby.

Ontario St parking garage is literally across the street. I am happy to see that the city is not forcing the developer to meet a parking minimum.

And, of course, anyone that is not happy with the lack of parking can choose to buy (or more likely rent?) elsewhere.
No news on who the developer is?
Less than 1 parking spot per unit is the new norm in DTK. Charlie West is ~305 residential units + retail, with 200 parking spots (including all visitor parking).Young and DTK I believe also had a lot of units without a parking spot.
No I think that’s great. I’m always bugged that we have near empty parking spots at the market square. I think it’s a win-win since we reduce dependence on car and market square can probably earn some revenue from parking rentals.
(01-20-2021, 11:47 AM)ac3r Wrote: No news on who the developer is?

The staff report lists the property owner as Aldo Di Battista. I believe he is related to Tony DiBattista, who owns the public utilities building, the LCBO building and a number of other commercial downtown properties.

Regarding parking, the report says ...
Quote:The proposed development will provide for a total of 12 vehicular parking spaces, with an additional 41 spaces to be provided in future phases of this development — for a total of 63 parking spaces at final build-out.

As such, the proposed development will provide parking which exceeds the parking requirements for the contemplated UGC zone of zero spaces. In addition, a total of 45 bicycle parking spaces are proposed for this development, which greatly exceeds the minimum requirement of seven (7) bicycle parking spaces. The provision of bicycle parking spaces in excess of the minimum requirement is meant to compliment the transit -supportive location of the subject lands, which are also located within close proximity to a variety of public transportation options, including the ION LRT system, which will reduce future residents' dependence on personal vehicles.

Apart from the dodgy math, I am unsure about what is meant by "future phases" as I see no other reference to that.

(01-20-2021, 12:21 PM)catarctica Wrote: No I think that’s great. I’m always bugged that we have near empty parking spots at the market square. I think it’s a win-win since we reduce dependence on car and market square can probably earn some revenue from parking rentals.

There is a weird disconnect in the off-peak parking market. Many empty spots, but not available for use; meanwhile empty parking garages charge the same as earlier in the day.
Here's another digital massing model here, since the OP only has the low resolution from The Record. Use your imagination to make it 21 floors instead of 19.

[Image: 3jB4Rda.jpg]
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »