Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Lower Kitchener (534 Charles St E) | 32, 27, 15 fl | Proposed
This is construction fencing, not just for demolition, so I have to believe that they will start this as soon as demolition is done.

(04-10-2024, 07:27 PM)tomh009 Wrote: This is construction fencing, not just for demolition, so I have to believe that they will start this as soon as demolition is done.

They don't even have demolition permits yet, something was amiss in their first applications as all of the demolition permits have recently been resubmitted, the exception is the Onward factory which is still on it's original application.

The only other permit they have applied for is a foundation/site servicing permit, generally they'll still need to get a shoring permit before they can proceed with any underground construction.
Anyone remember when they would leave spaces for curious citizens to watch the construction of something? It would be something such as little holes cut out of the wood, some boards omitted etc. The Italians even have a word for this (or rather, an individual who looks through said view ports): umarell. It's a shame that now there is 24/7 security and such paranoia to block off all access - even the sense of sight - in case some crackhead will fall into a pit and die trying to find stuff to steal because it used to be pretty fun to be able to watch that stuff, especially for children.
Don't let your memories remain in the past. Your reality is one hole saw and a cordless drill away.
(04-10-2024, 09:31 PM)cherrypark Wrote: Don't let your memories remain in the past. Your reality is one hole saw and a cordless drill away.

Easier yet: hold a phone over the top of the fence and shoot away.
(04-10-2024, 09:31 PM)cherrypark Wrote: Don't let your memories remain in the past. Your reality is one hole saw and a cordless drill away.

If only I had a cordless saw, I'd cut some holes in your dedication to watch the construction. <3

(04-10-2024, 10:13 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Easier yet: hold a phone over the top of the fence and shoot away.

That's zoomer talk. I just wanna use my eyes! But you may be onto something here. If anything, I'd bet it was some goofy government agency like OHSA that decided that a kid might get a splinter in their finger trying to get a better view or something else equally dumb that made them change this. But yeah I mean when I was a kid, I'd hang out a job sites like this just to watch the guys make things. It was fun, educational and a way to kill a bit of time after school which parents definitely appreciated. Retirees love it too, just ask the Italians.

Then I remember we just closed schools because we think children are too stupid to not look at the sun and we call anything over 1cm of snow a "snow event".
Not all construction sites are like this, look at the development at the Grand River hospital. All open to see. Maybe different with a big demolition job.

(04-10-2024, 09:05 PM)ac3r Wrote: Anyone remember when they would leave spaces for curious citizens to watch the construction of something? It would be something such as little holes cut out of the wood, some boards omitted etc. The Italians even have a word for this (or rather, an individual who looks through said view ports): umarell. It's a shame that now there is 24/7 security and such paranoia to block off all access - even the sense of sight - in case some crackhead will fall into a pit and die trying to find stuff to steal because it used to be pretty fun to be able to watch that stuff, especially for children.

Indeed, I can even recall projects were some holes were set lower so children could check things out.
(04-10-2024, 10:23 PM)ac3r Wrote: Then I remember we just closed schools because we think children are too stupid to not look at the sun and we call anything over 1cm of snow a "snow event".

It feels like we’re getting more snow days as winter becomes less of an event each year.

With respect to the eclipse, I don’t have a strong opinion on having the schools open or closed for it; I could go either way: open, and have an educational segment dedicated to watching it safely; or closed, and have the kids watch it with their families. But they should have decided when setting up the calendar for the year, and if they wanted the schools closed, just plunk a PD day on April 8 (PD days was actually April 10 which is a bit weird in the middle of the week). Then it wouldn’t have been a discussion point at all.
(04-11-2024, 12:24 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(04-10-2024, 10:23 PM)ac3r Wrote: Then I remember we just closed schools because we think children are too stupid to not look at the sun and we call anything over 1cm of snow a "snow event".

It feels like we’re getting more snow days as winter becomes less of an event each year.

With respect to the eclipse, I don’t have a strong opinion on having the schools open or closed for it; I could go either way: open, and have an educational segment dedicated to watching it safely; or closed, and have the kids watch it with their families. But they should have decided when setting up the calendar for the year, and if they wanted the schools closed, just plunk a PD day on April 8 (PD days was actually April 10 which is a bit weird in the middle of the week). Then it wouldn’t have been a discussion point at all.

The problem is that the elementary schools let out right at the peak of the eclipse, and there was concern that kids would look at the sun (children are not always smart about knowing what might actually hurt them, and also enjoy being contrary for kicks), but also that traffic could be dangerous if people are paying more attention to the sky than the road. I imagine there was also a lot of feedback that some families were going to keep their kids home anyway, or pull them midday to watch the eclipse. Buses couldn't be shuffled around, because most of the bus routes are shared with high schools (run two rounds every day) and are contracted to certain timeframes.

The PD Day yesterday was mid-week for Eid, which is why they didn't change it to Monday.
(04-11-2024, 12:46 PM)SF22 Wrote: The problem is that the elementary schools let out right at the peak of the eclipse, and there was concern that kids would look at the sun (children are not always smart about knowing what might actually hurt them, and also enjoy being contrary for kicks)

Ehhh I don't buy this. I knew not to look at the sun by the time I was in kindergarten. Any kid who chooses to look at it probably isn't gonna make it too far anyway.
Eclipses are an exception, as the sun doesn't look as bright as usual but the dangerous rays are still present. It's why it's safe to watch a sunset - there's far more atmosphere filtering out the bad stuff.

Thus, you can be fooled into thinking the sun is OK to look at on that occasion, but it actually isn't.
(04-11-2024, 12:24 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:

The public board put a PD day on April 10 for Eid, they also had one on Diwali to allow the families of the kids to celebrate. The Separate board did not.

(04-11-2024, 09:41 PM)neonjoe Wrote: The public board put a PD day on April 10 for Eid, they also had one on Diwali to allow the families of the kids to celebrate. The Separate board did not.

Thanks for the information. That makes a lot of sense. However, it doesn’t affect my contention that the decision to close for the eclipse should have been taken when they created the calendar for the year. Although to be fair eclipses don’t happen that often so it’s not that crazy that they weren’t thinking about it at the time.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »