Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF
(02-05-2016, 09:21 AM)Canard Wrote: I paid $300 ($150 each way) for my ticket YYZ-HND redeemed in Economy with aeroplan... Which I already thought was too much. $600 is criminal!

Some fairly recent Aeroplan charges:
  • YYZ-FRA-HEL: $310/person (return)
  • YYZ-CUN: $80/person (return)
  • YYZ-AUA: $65/person (return)
  • YYZ-BCN-LIS: $230/person (return)
The costs on domestic and Caribbean flights are much more reasonable.

Sorry, I re-checked my receipt; it was $216 for my return tickets booked with aeroplan points for YYZ-HND.

What are the details of the $600?
(02-05-2016, 09:21 AM)Canard Wrote: I paid $300 ($150 each way) for my ticket YYZ-HND redeemed in Economy with aeroplan... Which I already thought was too much. $600 is criminal!

Aeroplan rewards point ticket includes hefty fuel surcharge for Nova Scotia man 
Quote:A Nova Scotia man is questioning why Air Canada charged him almost $800 in extra fees, including a fuel surcharge of $697, for a flight he booked with Aeroplan miles...

In the booking for the ticket he eventually used, Ardern had to pay a total of $781.30, of which $697 showed up as a fuel surcharge, he said. The Tax and Fee Summary on Ardern's booking document showed the $697 was for "combined taxes, fees, charges and surcharges." The $697 is listed as XT.

"You can't figure out from that fare calculation what that means," said Ardern, who said he called Air Canada to inquire why he was paying so much.

"When fuel surcharges went on, they went on somewhere near when oil was $100 a barrel and now it's sitting at $40 a barrel," he said.

"To me, it's just gouging," he said.

I just looked at an AP flight from YYZ-FRA return. Here's how AC characterizes the surcharges:
Quote:Airport Taxes, Fees & Surcharges
Carrier Surcharge  $456.00
Canada Domestic/International Airport Improvement Fee $25.00
Canada Harmonized Sales Tax $3.25
Canada Domestic/International Air Travel Security Charge $25.91 
Germany Airport Security Charge $14.00 
Germany International Passenger Service Charge $51.40 
Germany Air Transport tax $63.60

Total per passenger $639.16
P.S. YYZ-FRA-INN is $758.56 in surcharges, of which $486 is "carrier surcharges."
I've done YYZ-NRT or HND with Air Canada 3 times on reward points. The first time in 2006 (NRT) the surcharges were low, around $200. January 2008 (NRT) was $312. December 2014 (HND) was $598! Glad to hear this is coming down now, when I booked in December 2014 gas prices were just starting to fall but that definitely wasn't reflected in Air Canada's pricing.

Breakdown of the $598:
Canada Security Charge (CA) 25.91
Carrier Surcharge (YQ) 518.00
Combined taxes, fees, charges and surcharges 55.15
Can someone help me out with a link or a tl;dr about "Mobile Lounges"?
Dr Google and nurse Wiki to the rescue: Mobile lounge
(02-05-2016, 12:50 PM)goggolor Wrote: I've done YYZ-NRT or HND with Air Canada 3 times on reward points. The first time in 2006 (NRT) the surcharges were low, around $200. January 2008 (NRT) was $312. December 2014 (HND) was $598! Glad to hear this is coming down now, when I booked in December 2014 gas prices were just starting to fall but that definitely wasn't reflected in Air Canada's pricing.

Breakdown of the $598:

Yes, YQ is known on some Internet forums as scamcharges.

chutten: yeah, ookpik's link also includes text on mobile lounges being obsolete with the advent of jetbridges, and I'd tend to agree. We used to walk out to the plane or take a bus, but we don't do that anymore, we have moving sidewalks inside airports and then walk right onto the plane. (I like the high-speed one at YYZ and have been curious about how fast it is, but can't get a GPS signal there).

(02-05-2016, 01:38 PM)ookpik Wrote: Dr Google and nurse Wiki to the rescue: Mobile lounge

Ack. Normally I'm all over that, but I assumed such a generic query would return a bajillion results.

(02-05-2016, 02:00 PM)plam Wrote: (I like the high-speed one at YYZ and have been curious about how fast it is, but can't get a GPS signal there).

According to this slide deck(pdf) from the manufacturer (which is badly in need of an edit), it is 2m/s over the bulk of the length and 0.65m/s at embark/disembark. (7.2km/hr and 2.34km/hr)
(02-05-2016, 04:37 PM)chutten Wrote:
(02-05-2016, 02:00 PM)plam Wrote: (I like the high-speed one at YYZ and have been curious about how fast it is, but can't get a GPS signal there).

According to this slide deck(pdf) from the manufacturer (which is badly in need of an edit), it is 2m/s over the bulk of the length and 0.65m/s at embark/disembark. (7.2km/hr and 2.34km/hr)

That's the theoretical speed, but no longer the case.  Initially they ran fast, but they had frequent and recurring maintenance and repairs, and apparently complaints from some people who found it not so safe.  So now it runs maybe 10-20% faster than the normal one, but with the speed-up/slow-down zones, and lots more noise than the conventional walkway.

I sure hope YYZ got (most of) their money back on this one, Thyssen-Krupp just couldn't get things to work in real life.
CNIM couldn't get theirs to work at Montparnasse, either. Sad It was closed when I went there to see it in 2008.
(02-05-2016, 02:00 PM)plam Wrote:
(02-05-2016, 12:50 PM)goggolor Wrote: I've done YYZ-NRT or HND with Air Canada 3 times on reward points. The first time in 2006 (NRT) the surcharges were low, around $200. January 2008 (NRT) was $312. December 2014 (HND) was $598! Glad to hear this is coming down now, when I booked in December 2014 gas prices were just starting to fall but that definitely wasn't reflected in Air Canada's pricing.

Breakdown of the $598:

Yes, YQ is known on some Internet forums as scamcharges.

chutten: yeah, ookpik's link also includes text on mobile lounges being obsolete with the advent of jetbridges, and I'd tend to agree. We used to walk out to the plane or take a bus, but we don't do that anymore, we have moving sidewalks inside airports and then walk right onto the plane. (I like the high-speed one at YYZ and have been curious about how fast it is, but can't get a GPS signal there).

Master Charts To Avoiding Fuel Surcharges (YQ)

Sample of first part of the charts. This chart is nearly two years old so I am not sure of the accuracy in 2016. The link above gives you the explanation about (YQ) charges and the how to avoid them.

[Image: HxKPFBr.png]
I... I didn't know I could redeem aeroplan points on something other than Air Canada.  :: facepalm ::  I thought the two were inexorably linked.

Oh yeah - and Chutten:

when are we going to get planes shot (8:46) into the air ....or launched (8:59)!!!

(02-05-2016, 08:38 PM)MacBerry Wrote: Master Charts To Avoiding Fuel Surcharges (YQ)

Sample of first part of the charts. This chart is nearly two years old so I am not sure of the accuracy in 2016. The link above gives you the explanation about (YQ) charges and the how to avoid them.

One update is that currently Aeroplan waives the YQ fees for all domestic/transborder flights for people with Altitude 25K status or better, and for international flights for people with Altitude 100K status.
http://m.therecord.com/news-story/631439...er-traffic

Do you think these numbers are correct?
154,000 passengers used the airport in 2015.
There were 102,000 takeoff and landings.
Seems like a high number of takeoff and landings to me, I guess the Arctic flights would not have many passengers, but still seems like a lot of take offs.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »