Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF
16 planes for all of those routes seems really ambitious.

(02-22-2016, 08:20 PM)SammyOES Wrote: 16 planes for all of those routes seems really ambitious.

It can be done with less frequent flights.  But that's not good for passenger convenience so it'll make the business model more challenging.
(02-22-2016, 07:43 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(02-22-2016, 07:18 PM)MidTowner Wrote: Another low-cost airline has been announced with one of its planned hubs in Hamilton: "Jet Lines."

Do they have funding?  There are lots of dreamers but the airline business is tough (and not just in Canada).  Porter is the only one that has made a go of it in recent memory.  None of Canada Jetlines (2013), Jet Naked (2014) and NewLeaf (2015) have been able to get off the ground so far.

Edit: Oh, it is Canada Jetlines, apparently back from the dead!

This is a list of defunct airlines in Canada .... lots to read.

Defunct Canadian Airlines
Noise issues drive Nolinor from regional airport
(02-22-2016, 07:43 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Do they have funding?  There are lots of dreamers but the airline business is tough (and not just in Canada).  Porter is the only one that has made a go of it in recent memory.  None of Canada Jetlines (2013), Jet Naked (2014) and NewLeaf (2015) have been able to get off the ground so far.

To be fair to NewLeaf, they only got started the other month!

Agree with you that these things need to be taken with a big grain of salt. More than likely both of these latest ventures fail, but it's not a certainty and it's exciting to see things happening (well, planned to be happening) at southern Ontario airports that aren't Pearson.
(02-23-2016, 09:00 AM)MidTowner Wrote:
(02-22-2016, 07:43 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Do they have funding?  There are lots of dreamers but the airline business is tough (and not just in Canada).  Porter is the only one that has made a go of it in recent memory.  None of Canada Jetlines (2013), Jet Naked (2014) and NewLeaf (2015) have been able to get off the ground so far.

To be fair to NewLeaf, they only got started the other month!

Agree with you that these things need to be taken with a big grain of salt. More than likely both of these latest ventures fail, but it's not a certainty and it's exciting to see things happening (well, planned to be happening) at southern Ontario airports that aren't Pearson.

NewLeaf announced in April 2015.  Supposed to start flying this month, but apparently they hadn't quite figured out what licences they need for that, so it's on hold for now.

Some day one of these startups will succeed, but I don't know when and which one.
I believe NewLeaf's new plan is to start flying in May. I understand they actually had to refund a few tickets for flights this month.

There's no way to tell if one of these might beat the odds and survive. We scoff at Jetlines' plans to fly 16 planes apparently all over the continent, but WestJet had a lot fewer than that when they got started. And they weren't without early licensing and other issues either.

(02-23-2016, 08:25 AM)jgsz Wrote: Noise issues drive Nolinor from regional airport

That was the claim, but there is also discussion of the falling prices for iron ore: high of $56/ton, in January was $41/ton. http://www.indexmundi.com/commodities/?c...y=iron-ore
Mirabel is a great airport to fly out of at 2am but that's got to be a huge kick in the but for the miners.
(02-22-2016, 10:03 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(02-22-2016, 08:20 PM)SammyOES Wrote: 16 planes for all of those routes seems really ambitious.

It can be done with less frequent flights.  But that's not good for passenger convenience so it'll make the business model more challenging.

Yeah, it also probably means not a lot of margin for error for unexpected maintenance.
(02-23-2016, 11:21 AM)SammyOES Wrote:
(02-22-2016, 10:03 PM)tomh009 Wrote: It can be done with less frequent flights.  But that's not good for passenger convenience so it'll make the business model more challenging.

Yeah, it also probably means not a lot of margin for error for unexpected maintenance.

Maintenance?  What maintenance? .... Wink
(02-23-2016, 10:55 AM)JoeKW Wrote: Mirabel is a great airport to fly out of at 2am but that's got to be a huge kick in the but for the miners.

I was on a shuttle with some mining staff. As the article mentioned, they stay in hotels overnight now (seems like those on Weber near the mall).

After the change, a lot of them would be coming in from Trudeau so they just need to stay up for a few hours and then get shuttled out to Mirabel.
I would be interested to know how many of you that also follow Tom Galloway have already clicked this link...nonetheless, for your viewing pleasure:

http://www.urbanstrategies.com/wp-conten...160225.pdf

Just for fun, there are few deals ex-YKF this week, to ATL ($250) or SFO ($400) or even Paris ($600)
Obviously all on AA flights via ORD

http://nextdeparture.ca/flight-deals/?se...s=waterloo
(02-19-2016, 02:37 PM)jerryhung Wrote: Didn't realize this thread turned into Aeroplan/YQ thread, which I'm happy to reply to

Recent update, you shouldn't see YQ to/from Japan (HND/NRT for sure) and HKG anymore

Are you sure? Hmm, I'll have to see if I can cancel my upcoming YYZ-HND flight on points and rebook. Even if there was a penalty, as long as the penalty was under $250, I'd still be saving money (I was charged $300 in "fees" for using my points to book the flight).
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »