Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GRT to Airport?
I am looking to take the bus to the airport, and it seems there is no such thing.

I have tried the google trip planner and looked at the GRT route maps. Is this really a thing? Is there no transit out there? Google suggests I get off the bus at the Old Zeller Drive/Fairway Rd roundabout and walk the 3.4 km to the airport.

Can someone confirm there is no public transportation to the airport? I am surprised by this.

I can confirm that there is no public transportation to the airport.
(01-31-2016, 07:14 PM)Drake Wrote: Can someone confirm there is no public transportation to the airport? I am surprised by this.

I can also confirm that there is none. Its absence is a frequent source of surprise, but current levels of demand would not support a regularly scheduled service.
Bus to Fairview and taxi/Uber to the airport from there is your best bet.
Perhaps if the Wilmot bus route is a success GRT would be inclined to try a service to Breslau.

It is a nice walk across the Fairway bridge though probably not so much this time of year. I don't know if there is any way to follow the route that used to be Riverbank drive, it would cut off the corner where the roundabout is but then anyone walking to the Airport wouldn't find sidewalks along that stretch of Fountain street.
And if you're towing a suitcase, it's that much less pleasant a walk. Especially without sidewalks.
Sidewalks are on the plan though, if I remember correctly! Fountain is supposed to be widened to 4 lanes (2/2) within the next 2 years, and 6 lanes by 2030, IIRC.

(01-31-2016, 09:35 PM)clasher Wrote: Perhaps if the Wilmot bus route is a success GRT would be inclined to try a service to Breslau.

Easy route to imagine too - from the new terminal down victoria, through breslau, past the airport, and back up fairway to the mall.
I'm all for public transit, but I seriously doubt that presently there would be any significant demand for a bus route to the airport.
Given the relatively small number of flights per day, would a shuttle bus, say between the airport and the new intermodal station at King and Victoria, make any sense? I'm thinking of something that runs from the airport to the hub perhaps half an hour after a flight has landed and then comes back to the airport perhaps an hour before that plane departs. The schedule would be variable based on actual arrival and departure times. A smartphone app would provide current info. Would enough people use something like this to justify?

Just brainstorming as I sip my first coffee so be gentle Wink
(02-01-2016, 08:49 AM)ookpik Wrote: Given the relatively small number of flights per day, would a shuttle bus, say between the airport and the new intermodal station at King and Victoria, make any sense? I'm thinking of something that runs from the airport to the hub perhaps half an hour after a flight has landed and then comes back to the airport perhaps an hour before that plane departs. The schedule would be variable based on actual arrival and departure times. A smartphone app would provide current info. Would enough people use something like this to justify?

Just brainstorming as I sip my first coffee so be gentle Wink

The best ideas come out of brain storming.  I think that would be an excellent idea.  With the 201 route along Victoria Street, all they really need is a small bus feeding from Breslau, which could extend to the airport during scheduled flight hours.
One of the motivating factors for choosing our airport is the quickness of it. I've left work near Conestoga mall, and by the time turned into the airport property, it was less than 10 minutes to park, pay for parking, return slip to car, get ticket from (sadly departed) Bearskin, get through security. So I could realistically plan to be at the airport for 20 minutes before my flight with more buffer and still have no issue. Suddenly, though, you need to be at a particular bus station 1.5h before your flight, plus travel time to that station, and it's not a compelling situation. It's probably not *just* cost that sees the dedicated transit service to our busiest airport (Pearson) from our most highly populated core (downtown Toronto) get barely used. Ottawa has an easy extension of the 97 route (kind of like our iXpress) that goes to the airport, and even at busy times, it's hardly used. It's just not all that successful a service in all but the busiest and most professionally integrated cities and transit systems.
(02-01-2016, 09:35 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: One of the motivating factors for choosing our airport is the quickness of it... Suddenly, though, you need to be at a particular bus station 1.5h before your flight, plus travel time to that station, and it's not a compelling situation. 

I agree that driving/parking is the fastest, most convenient way to/from the airport. That's true in general. But I thought we were discussing alternatives using public transit. Naturally these will be slower and less convenient. The issue is how much is tolerable. 

To address your quoted comments, how much time you need should depend on the flight. For a short hop to Ottawa the buffer would be much smaller than a 737 to Calgary. Likewise with a charter returning from the Caribbean you'd need more time to clear CBSA and deal with more luggage. I'm thinking of something that's dynamic and adaptable.

Thanks for the replies. I guess there isn't demand for it, but I am surprised to learn there is no bus service to Breslau (which would naturally serve the airport as others have pointed out). It is not out of the way.

Maybe someday.
(02-01-2016, 06:39 PM)Drake Wrote: Thanks for the replies. I guess there isn't demand for it, but I am surprised to learn there is no bus service to Breslau (which would naturally serve the airport as others have pointed out). It is not out of the way.

We don't have area-rating for transit within the cities, but we do have it for the townships. So there is some politics involved in adding or increasing transit service to a township that there wouldn't be for a neighbourhood within the city.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »