Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Duke Tower Kitchener | 39 fl | completed
(12-18-2018, 05:47 AM)rangersfan Wrote: With the increased height, this development has really moved up my favourite developments list!

It would be nice to see this become the new norm !!

I love the variety in height we're seeing here. I remember when I moved from Ottawa, they'd just built two towers of Claridge Plaza at 27 floors and the next 10-15 towers to be proposed for Ottawa were all the same height. Makes for a boring skyline. (obviously Ottawa has height issues to work around with regards to Parliament Hill, but still, variety folks!)
I swear that was a pic of the Marilyn Monroe building in Mississauga..  not sure what happened..
Ah man, edit your post to delete that text lol....

How tall are the Monroe buildings? And they too will be dwarfed by I believe Mississauga's next big offering at 80+ stories down the street!
There you have it (below). 80 - I repeat eighty stories. This is more than double DTK condo! And DTK will be more than double One Victoria (19fl)!

This Mississauga condo will be more than quadruple the height of of One Victoria (in floors).

https://www.insauga.com/one-of-the-talle...ississauga
(12-18-2018, 01:21 PM)Momo26 Wrote: There you have it (below). 80 - I repeat eighty stories. This is more than double DTK condo! And DTK will be more than double One Victoria (19fl)!

This Mississauga condo will be more than quadruple the height of of One Victoria (in floors).

https://www.insauga.com/one-of-the-talle...ississauga

More than double and on an elevation that should add three or four storeys to the way it looks in comparison.
Not sure if anyone has the Photoshop skills, but I would love to see what an ~80 foot condo building would look like transfixed in downtown Kitchener/Waterloo haha.

I'm staring out at the new 100 Hundred condo that is built and my mind is having difficulty picturing/processing one that is quadruple in height standing in it's place!

Honestly, I'd rather see the downtown and midtown areas fill in more before we start getting serious height and density.
The places that fill in now are typically the ones with the fewest restrictions, the ones where you don't need to do as much assembly or worry about neighbours. These are the best sites to put density on. We wouldn't do well to put townhomes on the Sixo site (a councillor last time in Kitchener suggested the Sixo site be townhomes), and then try dropping a tower in the middle of a Mary-Allen, Mount Hope Breithaupt Park, or Victoria Park neighbourhood.
One thing I've been wanting to do for a while (but am struggling because Google has made it impossible to extract any model data) is take google's 3d map of the city (Google Maps satellite view in a web browser) and overlay models of all the proposed condos / buildings, to better envision the future skyline
GtwoK - that would be really cool!
(12-18-2018, 03:33 PM)GtwoK Wrote: One thing I've been wanting to do for a while (but am struggling because Google has made it impossible to extract any model data) is take google's 3d map of the city (Google Maps satellite view in a web browser) and overlay models of all the proposed condos / buildings, to better envision the future skyline

I've previously been able to construct a model of a building in SketchUp and then import that into Google Earth. You can't delete the base model such as trees and existing buildings but the new building would generally be to scale and located accurately. I'm sure there are instructions online.
(12-18-2018, 04:45 PM)UrbanCanoe Wrote:
(12-18-2018, 03:33 PM)GtwoK Wrote: One thing I've been wanting to do for a while (but am struggling because Google has made it impossible to extract any model data) is take google's 3d map of the city (Google Maps satellite view in a web browser) and overlay models of all the proposed condos / buildings, to better envision the future skyline

I've previously been able to construct a model of a building in SketchUp and then import that into Google Earth. You can't delete the base model such as trees and existing buildings but the new building would generally be to scale and located accurately. I'm sure there are instructions online.

Ahhh, fucking brilliant! Used to do this all the time, can't believe it still works Smile Thanks!

One of y'all gonna do it? I'm kind Of stoked now!

Yes, this data is non-extractable for very good reason! It's expensive to produce, using an intensive visual/LIDAR approach, and thus proprietary.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »