Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.85 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
I don't know that there are any LCBOs with multiple cashouts. Given the small floorplate, I expect that rather than have a very long post-cashout guardrail area to go to both front and rear of building, the cashouts will send people to King Street, since you can't pull Northfield-style parking-lot-facing entryways in Downtown. So the open area might likely be an acknowledgement that they needed as much space as they built, didn't need the excess, and it will likely be angled parking I would suspect, maybe eventually sold off to whatever gets developed someday adjacent to the lot.

(10-30-2018, 01:39 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: I don't know that there are any LCBOs with multiple cashouts. Given the small floorplate, I expect that rather than have a very long post-cashout guardrail area to go to both front and rear of building, the cashouts will send people to King Street, since you can't pull Northfield-style parking-lot-facing entryways in Downtown. So the open area might likely be an acknowledgement that they needed as much space as they built, didn't need the excess, and it will likely be angled parking I would suspect, maybe eventually sold off to whatever gets developed someday adjacent to the lot.

It's not parking. Really not parking. And really not even big enough for parking. Not even for angled parking. Really.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4910]

It's just a walkway to the back (and to the actual parking lot).
Thanks @tomh009, I have a pretty low bar Tongue.

Continuous storefront would definitely be better, but I'm just relieved it isn't a driveway/parking.
Hold on, what if that's a patio for La Cucina? In the same way that the patio for McCabes was put on top of the beer store property, maybe a patio for La Cucina was arranged to be put on the LCBO property? It's not perfect, but it'd be better than a walkway or (god forbid) a driveway
I too am relieved its not a driveway. A patio would be a huge bonus. That being said, a full streetwall would be the best case scenario here. But that's not happening.

Maybe I'll be surprised.
I don't mind some small gaps in the streetwall. But I prefer for them not to be driveways or garage entrances, let alone parking lots.
Speaking of gaps in the streetscape, I sure wish they'd do *something* with this:

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.4494185,...bfov%3D100

As far as parking lots go, it's one of the better ones, but it's so central, and so dead. A park would be fine but pretty much anything but parking lot. I don't see it on the City's parking lot list, so I assume it's owned by a private company, so I have some hope that it could be developed with the right easing of parking requirements.

Wasn't there a proposal for that a few years ago? Or at least a concept?
(10-30-2018, 09:41 PM)Spokes Wrote: Wasn't there a proposal for that a few years ago?  Or at least a concept?

There have been a number of proposals over the years.  DTK is lousy with never-built proposals.

The neighbour to the immediate west of this site is a mystery - they went to the trouble of building a red brick reproduction at the end of the American Hotel block, right down to faux windows on the side, but then never completed the interior.  What's up with that?
The neighbour to the immediate west of this site is a mystery - they went to the trouble of building a red brick reproduction at the end of the American Hotel block, right down to faux windows on the side, but then never completed the interior.  What's up with that?

Weren't they ordered to fix up the exterior after it sat in a burnt out state for awhile? Might  have just done their bare legal obligation and decided to leave it like that.
But isn't part of this a city owned lot? Or is it privately owned?

I just know I've parked there when going to Crabbys
(10-31-2018, 08:31 AM)Spokes Wrote: But isn't part of this a city owned lot?  Or is it privately owned?  

I just know I've parked there when going to Crabbys

I can't find it on the city's parking lot map, so I assume it's a privately owned map.  So it would be open to redevelopment so long as a) the property owner felt it was worth more as something other than a parking lot, and b) parking minimums didn't preclude development.
(10-30-2018, 09:30 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Speaking of gaps in the streetscape, I sure wish they'd do *something* with this:

As far as parking lots go, it's one of the better ones, but it's so central, and so dead.  A park would be fine but pretty much anything but parking lot.  I don't see it on the City's parking lot list, so I assume it's owned by a private company, so I have some hope that it could be developed with the right easing of parking requirements.

I knew there was something specific I was thinking of.  32 King Street East Proposal from Feb 2015

(10-30-2018, 09:30 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Speaking of gaps in the streetscape, I sure wish they'd do *something* with this:

As far as parking lots go, it's one of the better ones, but it's so central, and so dead.  A park would be fine but pretty much anything but parking lot.  I don't see it on the City's parking lot list, so I assume it's owned by a private company, so I have some hope that it could be developed with the right easing of parking requirements.

It was owned by DREAM, so presumably it's now EuroPro.
Fakoury's auto service at Weber and Victoria has recently closed, and from a friend who was a long-time client, supposedly that site is targeted for redevelopment. This one would be interesting because it's a very small lot on a very busy corner, and it is adjacent to a lot of low-income/personal support services, also on Victoria. The possibility of safe injection site being on Water street would change the proposition, and the government announced recently that no new injection sites would be allowed (whether ours was far enough along to get through, I don't know).
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »