Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Charles St GRT terminal redevelopment
(11-18-2019, 10:02 AM)panamaniac Wrote: It occurs that one cultural facility that Kitchener lacks, and that could fit easily on this site, would be a small (under 200 seats) hall that could be used for dance and chamber music, perhaps even theatre.  That might be too many design demands on a single space, I don't know.

Isn't the Registry Theatre about that size?

(11-18-2019, 12:23 PM)jwilliamson Wrote:
(11-18-2019, 10:02 AM)panamaniac Wrote: It occurs that one cultural facility that Kitchener lacks, and that could fit easily on this site, would be a small (under 200 seats) hall that could be used for dance and chamber music, perhaps even theatre.  That might be too many design demands on a single space, I don't know.

Isn't the Registry Theatre about that size?

Yes, and it's well suited to popular music and to theatre (with llimitations).  There's also the larger Conrad Centre.   Neither is suited to dance, however, and neither would make a good chamber music venue.  When I think of it, although theatre offerings have slowly improved in K-W over the years, there's really nothing that I'm aware of in terms of dance.
Both the Registery theater and Conrad Centre for Performing arts meet these needs
Not sure it's quite "redevelopment", but can't think of a better place for this. There's currently some sort of tent being built on the property, spanning over two of the former bus lanes.

For what purpose?
Emergency winter shelter?
I'd like to know what is going in here.

It continues to bother me, if I owned a house and the city wanted to remove a parking space next to my house, there'd be a huge years long public process where I would get to object to this.

But my very first notice about this happening is watching it go up right next to my house--I still haven't the slightest idea what is actually going on here.

I feel like we should have some middle ground here.

NIMBY?
(11-11-2020, 01:52 PM)creative Wrote: NIMBY?
More like. Tell me what you're building in my backyard at least. Which I think is fair.
(11-11-2020, 01:52 PM)creative Wrote: NIMBY?

You're seriously accusing me of being a NIMBY because I'd like to know what's going on next door to me?

Right...well, whatever.
My guess is it is a staging area for construction of Charlie during the winter.
This could be a good location for a drive-through COVID testing site. Give the staff someplace warm to go into during the winter.
(11-11-2020, 02:26 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: My guess is it is a staging area for construction of Charlie during the winter.

I don't think Charlie West should need that any more, they will be onto interior work only very soon.

Many trades and many supplies...
I'd guess emergency shelter for the cold weather or perhaps a drive through Covid-19 testing site.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »