Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.17 Average
One Hundred | 21 & 17 fl | U/C
edit.

Does anyone know whether the matter before the OMB has been settled, or is it still open?
(05-25-2015, 07:57 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Does anyone know whether the matter before the OMB has been settled, or is it still open?

Pre-hearing was on May 8th.  Hearing is set to start from September 8th (at Kitchener City Hall, should anyone here like to spectate).  Pre-hearing decision is here:
http://www.omb.gov.on.ca/e-decisions/pl1...0-2015.pdf
I was wondering why we hadn't seen any activity at this location yet, and that would make sense why.
I was told from someone involved in the project that shovels should be in the ground by the end of this year. 
Are they still selling units despite the OMB dispute?
(05-26-2015, 10:10 PM)Spokes Wrote: Are they still selling units despite the OMB dispute?
I assume you're asking if there's still demand for the units?  I guess they could continue to promote and sell the units despite the situation.

According to the their latest news letter sales are:  over 85% for Tower 1 and 60% for Tower 2. 

I think these also factor in the additional residential units (less commercial/office space) that they've added since they've had to make some design changes to accommodate the dispute.

They have enough to start tower 1 and will begin construction once the OMB dispute is resolved (if things go their way obviously).  So fall would be the earliest they would start.

I really hope this goes ahead to its full potential. They're beautifully designed towers and are just what this part of downtown needs. With the future transit station being built nearby (which itself is slated to have a bunch of development - this whole area is getting dense) it's going to look great and bring lots of life downtown.

I don't know what any potential plans there could be for Arthur Place but if they get it worked out, a little tower would fit real well there...something like what went up in Toronto's Canary District, which included this little tower alongside some townhomes. A nice neomodern look like that would look nice behind the Peer Group building: a sort of contrast in architectural styles and eras which defines not only this section of the core with old factories and contemporary looks, but also the general character of Kitchener as a whole. I think Momentum should just buy it up and see what they could do. Sounds as if this Owen guy is just hoping that if he holds on a little longer...$$$. On that note although his posts were removed here, any quoted ones weren't. As mentioned previously someone's lawyer might find some of that to be useful.

Anyway, here's the Canary District building. It's one of many that went up on that area as part of a huge development. If Momentum went ahead and bought the Arthur Place land maybe they could go bigger: townhomes, retail, parking.

[Image: canary-district-condominiums.jpg]

[Image: 15119-46523.jpg]
The houses along Arthur Pl could easily be developed into something the scale of Red Condos or the42.
The OMB hearing is starting today so I'd imagine well hear something on this soon.
(09-08-2015, 01:42 PM)Lens Wrote: The OMB hearing is starting today so I'd imagine well hear something on this soon.

Does anyone know if they are still planning to start construction this year?  I hope so.

I think this project will prove to be more of a catalyst for downtown urbanization than One Victoria or City Centre.
(09-09-2015, 01:03 PM)jgsz Wrote: I think this project will prove to be more of a catalyst for downtown urbanization than One Victoria or City Centre.

After all these years, I don't really think there is a single catalyst for the downtown.  Think of 100 Victoria more as a piece of kindling, along with 1 Victoria, City Centre, LRT, Arrow Lofts, School of Pharmacy, Google etc.  Enough kindling, and it'll catch on easily.
(09-09-2015, 01:03 PM)jgsz Wrote:
(09-08-2015, 01:42 PM)Lens Wrote: The OMB hearing is starting today so I'd imagine well hear something on this soon.

Does anyone know if they are still planning to start construction this year?  I hope so.

I think this project will prove to be more of a catalyst for downtown urbanization than One Victoria or City Centre.

Assuming that an OMB decision is made fairly quickly or all parties come to a settlement, I don't think you'd see much more than the existing buildings being demolished this year. Zoning and Site Plan approval with the City still have to occur which take some time. I would guess an early Spring start with maybe some excavation happening over the Winter depending on weather.

(09-09-2015, 01:03 PM)jgsz Wrote: Does anyone know if they are still planning to start construction this year?  I hope so.

What this project adds is two dimensionality to the downtown linear corridor. So do the Arrow Lofts, Google and the Courthouse, but that's about it. We need to create a downtown core, not a downtown corridor. I look forward to the day when the area bounded by Breihaupt, Weber, Cedar and Joseph is all high density with mixed usage.

Then downtown will have turned the corner.
(09-09-2015, 02:43 PM)realtyforward Wrote:
(09-09-2015, 01:03 PM)jgsz Wrote: Does anyone know if they are still planning to start construction this year?  I hope so.

Assuming that an OMB decision is made fairly quickly or all parties come to a settlement, I don't think you'd see much more than the existing buildings being demolished this year. Zoning and Site Plan approval with the City still have to occur which take some time. I would guess an early Spring start with maybe some excavation happening over the Winter depending on weather.

Hard to tell.  Momentum has a track record of starting things as quick as possible, regardless of time of year.  I believe One Victoria started either just before or in the winter did it not?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »